Hours of work per week?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

red-rat

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How many hours do residents in Anesthesiology work per week or month?

Members don't see this ad.

Varies program to program, most say 60-70. Can be closer to 80 when doing icu or busier rotations.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very variable depending on the program and rotation. There are programs where you routinely work until 6PM while in the OR and others where you get out by 3PM or sometimes even earlier. The range is probably 35-70 hours per week with most being 45-60.

Any thoughts on which progams are most "cush"? Any truth to the reciprocal relationship b/w big name and free time?

You gotta be kidding me. Most anesthesia programs are "cush" with average hours as people have said above. Youre not going to find much better than that short of psychiatry or PM&R. residency is your time to learn a specialty, take advantage of it.

Right, plus, I actually chose my program specifically because it WASN'T cush. I was lazy in college, lazy in med school, and am being as lazy as possible during my fairly cushy intern year, but I definitely do not want a cush anesthesia program. I want to have seen and done everything before I'm forced to go out on my own, with no backup during potentially complex emergency situations (very scary).

That being said, yes, all anesthesia programs are on the cush side compared to most other specialties; bigger programs tend to have less call (e.g. st vincents in manhattan has only 5 residents per year, call is therefore Q5 which is very often by anesthesia standards). The cushiest I found was Jefferson in Philly; I left at 1:00 after my interviews only to find half the residents walking out the door with me. Until 2 years ago (new program director) they averaged Q15-30 call.

I would by all means pick the cushiest trans/prelim program available. For anesthesia residency, though, a tougher one probably gives you better preparation (assuming they give you tough cases and don't stick you with a bunch of lap choles and appys as a CA-3)