Hours

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Neuro415

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering what the hours are like for neurologists. How is it compared to others?

Members don't see this ad.

Private practice, in Sleep Disorders or Alzheimer's

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I am merely a resident, and can only tell you that private practice Neurology seems to have a great deal of individual flexibility.

At my hospital, the hours for Sleep, EEG, and EMG are all light. There isn't a specific Alzheimer's, or Cognitive/Behavioral rotation at my program...but there are a couple of residents interested in those subjects here and I've heard very similar hours to the three mentioned above for them.

I think there are people on these boards that can give your question a better answer than me with regards to private practice.

Best wishes.

Hey DanielMD

i know from your posts that you are interested in Interventional Neurology. Do you have any idea how much a Neurointerventionalist in Academics works per week and how frequent they tend to be on call? Is it more like Interventional Cardiology or Neurosurgery in terms of hours/lifestyle? It's pretty tough getting info regarding that.

Thanks a lot

Hey DanielMD

i know from your posts that you are interested in Interventional Neurology. Do you have any idea how much a Neurointerventionalist in Academics works per week and how frequent they tend to be on call? Is it more like Interventional Cardiology or Neurosurgery in terms of hours/lifestyle? It's pretty tough getting info regarding that.

Thanks a lot

There are some great sources for information about this beyond me...and I would recommend checking websites and contacting Neurology/Radiology/Neurosurgery programs that are known for having prominent Neurointerventional members. You can find a list of some of these (friendly to Neurologists) at www.svineuro.org.

The hours for Neurointerventional are very similar to Neurosurgery at the programs I have seen - though I wouldn't definitively say that they are representative of every program. The guys who handle that stuff at my program are on call very, very often - though they rarely have to actually come in.

Don't be afraid to indulge interests in other areas of Neurology too...like EEG, EMG, Oncology, Sleep, Movement Disorders, Headache, and Neuroimmunology!