How accurate this phrase is for DO students: "where you end up in residency depends on you rather than the school"?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Oorham

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to hear your thoughts on this, please. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Agree xTen million times. Holds true for every school MD or DO
SO why do people keep talking about the quality of rotation sites and different opportunities that the schools can provide like networking?

Members don't see this ad :)
SO why do people keep talking about the quality of rotation sites and different opportunities that the schools can provide like networking?
Schools brag about the resources they can provide students to be successful, but ultimately it’s up to that student to network, find mentors, and take advantage of what the schools have to offer. If you just do the bare minimum to graduate and someone else is always seeking opportunities to learn and network, they will be more successful than you despite the same access to resources.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes and no. A lot of what you can do comes down to you. But barring rare circumstances like considerable connections, your school does have a lot to do with the ceiling of where you end up in residency. It’d be absurd for me to think I could end up in a “top 20” program in my field coming from a DO school. I have no desire to do so so it’s not a big deal but that is a real restriction. This will be further amplified in the era of p/f board exams and a recent program director survey confirmed this.

Reactions: 1 users
If you are looking for "in general," that is correct. there are many more things when looking at residencies compared to the school alone. Where you from, what your interest are, how you are tied to the residency, what your goals are, etc. Med school is just a place.

now looking at specifics, a school that puts you face to face with residencies, has a variety of rotations to properly show you different aspects of medicine, these can be valuable. But that value is very different to people. Some of the rural surgical rotations are incredible with experience as some of my classmates where first assist on every surgery in the hospital on their month with many closing all month long. But it did nothing for showing them how to operate within a residency program. some IM rotations were entirely outpatient based which misses a huge part of IM. but you can make up for those things by doing your own work and seeking out different opportunities on your own.

Yes and no. A lot of what you can do comes down to you. But barring rare circumstances like considerable connections, your school does have a lot to do with the ceiling of where you end up in residency. It’d be absurd for me to think I could end up in a “top 20” program in my field coming from a DO school. I have no desire to do so so it’s not a big deal but that is a real restriction. This will be further amplified in the era of p/f board exams and a recent program director survey confirmed this.
Did the NRMP release the 2020 program director survey already? I can't seem to find it.

Did the NRMP release the 2020 program director survey already? I can't seem to find it.
I saw it quoted from another thread but can’t find it. Sorry. Not sure if from the survey or from some webinar or something. Not making it up though. It was an official...something lol.

Reactions: 2 users
I saw it quoted from another thread but can’t find it. Sorry. Not sure if from the survey or from some webinar or something. Not making it up though. It was an official...something lol.
I believe you are thinking of the NEJM article where ~57% of PDs said where the applicant went to school would be more important.

Because DO schools are notorious for having lower quality rotations. That's not to say everywhere is like that or all rotations at a specific school are like that. There are also plenty of MD schools that have less than ideal rotations. It definitely does make a difference when you are doing rotations with residents and doing encounters and presenting vs just following an individual preceptor around like a duckling. There is the chance that you can get some pretty solid individual preceptors who will let you have a lot of autonomy as a student though, which can also be a good experience.

I believe you are thinking of the NEJM article where ~57% of PDs said where the applicant went to school would be more important.

Because DO schools are notorious for having lower quality rotations. That's not to say everywhere is like that or all rotations at a specific school are like that. There are also plenty of MD schools that have less than ideal rotations. It definitely does make a difference when you are doing rotations with residents and doing encounters and presenting vs just following an individual preceptor around like a duckling. There is the chance that you can get some pretty solid individual preceptors who will let you have a lot of autonomy as a student though, which can also be a good experience.
That’s exactly the number so I guess so. Good detective work!

Because it's easier for someone to network, get research, get high quality LOR's if they are rotating at a hospital with residents....

If your school is in BFE with no residencies then the difficulty to get those things is going to be greatly increased.

Where there is a will there is a way. It may be harder, no doubt, but not impossible. With P/F step 1, step 2 now is important. Its easy to blame the school for not having teaching service rotations or no ongoing clinical studies . Make sure your electives are at such places. If that rural school is the only school you get accepted at, make the most of it or take a gap year. I have students match at east coast universities and we dont have a teaching hospital. U maryland, u Florida IM, Penn State, u Wisconsin, Hopkins, Mayo Jacksonville, to name a few. You defimitely need grades, board scores, and good letters. It is important IMO to audition well, when possible. Above all, apply realistically and broadly. Play the match game well. Its harder, but not impossible.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users