How am I doing so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

med77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a second semester biochem sophomore at a 5 year school (we have a co-op program). I'm looking to apply for 2016, but I just want to get an idea if I'm on track.

sGPA/cGPA are both 3.6/4.0 (I'm looking to raise that this semester. I had a bad semester in the fall...who would've guessed a B could bring down your GPA so much..)

Haven't even begun looking at the MCAT since I still have plenty of time to study for it. I'm looking to take it before the 2015 change though.

Research: Molecular biology/biochemistry lab since first semester freshman year (1.5 years minus the summer). I put in about 15 hours a week, and the project is somewhat my own. I work on it with another student in my lab, but we are the only two actually conducting the science.

Clinical: Volunteer in pediatrics waiting room ~3 hrs/week since June 2012. I'm probably going to have to stop this in June due to going on a co-op for the end of the summer and fall.

I shadowed an orthopedic surgeon over the summer (2012). About 15 hours in the clinic with him and 15 in the OR. (30 hours total) He also offered to write me a letter of recommendation if I need one. He knows my family, so I suspect he may be able to supply a strong letter. I'm unsure of what letters are required come time for applying/if I should get one from him.

Other volunteering: Tutor underserved youth (grades K-6) about 4 hrs/week. Started this September 2012. Again, something I may not be able to continue over the summer/fall.

Work experience: lifeguard for 3 years. Technically considered to be a supervisor due to my age, but often there are adults older than me on deck who override my authority. In the summers I work about 15 hrs/week. During the school year it varies. I usually just cover other people's shifts. I'll be living at home next year so I am hoping to pick up a couple of hours during the week.

I am a Massachusetts resident and hoping to stay local. I understand that my GPA is low for all Boston schools.

Something interesting, but may give away my identity: I will be travelling to Antarctica with my campus lab for 2013 summer to continue my project there. We work with an organism located on that continent, but the specifics are irrelevant.

Oh, and I'm hoping to co-op either with my lab for the summer/fall or with a pharmaceutical company or hospital in the city. This should provide me with more experience, although it seems to be that it will be research based.

Members don't see this ad.

It seems you know what you're doing and really only want confirmation, which is perfectly alright. I would just add maybe add leadership activities and more teaching experiences, perhaps with your peers. Other than that, keep up the good work dude.

Thanks for the reply. I've recently become paranoid about how I stack up compared to everybody else. It seems like everybody's saving the world in obscure places, and I'm here pipetting and hoping that my experiment will work haha