DO How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DO_hopeful48

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys! This is my first post on sdn, but I've been a long time follower of the site, (since senior year of high school). I just wanted feedback on how I am doing so far! I am a sophomore with a double major in biochemistry and psychology at a small liberal arts school in Georgia, with a cgpa of 3.33, and a sgpa of 3.5. Here are my ECs so far: I am the PI of 3 research projects at my school, (1 Biochemical, 2 psychological), I am a presidential ambassador for my school, (giving tours to prospective students and parents, and handling alumni relations), a biochemistry lab TA, member of Psi Chi, (psychological honor society), and Tri Beta, (Biological honor society), 150 hours shadowing an ER MD, and will be shadowing a DO orthopedic surgeon soon. I also wouldnt mind a school list based on my progress so far? Thanks guys!!

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to give you a school list without an MCAT score, but if you maintain your GPA and score a 508+ on the MCAT, you will be competitive for all DO schools.

I would recommend that you acquire some primary care shadowing (since that's the emphasis by most osteopathic schools). Additionally, from your list of extracurriculars, it seems that you don't have much clinical experience, so I would recommend finding an opportunity in that as well.

Reactions: 1 user
You need volunteer experience, especially clinical to up that portion of your app. Shadowing is great and also important, but usually ~50 hours will suffice.

Members don't see this ad :)
You need volunteer experience, especially clinical to up that portion of your app. Shadowing is great and also important, but usually ~50 hours will suffice.
Thanks guys for the advice, I appreciate it!

Hey Guys! This is my first post on sdn, but I've been a long time follower of the site, (since senior year of high school). I just wanted feedback on how I am doing so far! I am a sophomore with a double major in biochemistry and psychology at a small liberal arts school in Georgia, with a cgpa of 3.33, and a sgpa of 3.5. Here are my ECs so far: I am the PI of 3 research projects at my school, (1 Biochemical, 2 psychological), I am a presidential ambassador for my school, (giving tours to prospective students and parents, and handling alumni relations), a biochemistry lab TA, member of Psi Chi, (psychological honor society), and Tri Beta, (Biological honor society), 150 hours shadowing an ER MD, and will be shadowing a DO orthopedic surgeon soon. I also wouldnt mind a school list based on my progress so far? Thanks guys!!
DO schools like well-rounded applicants. So do well enough on the MCAT and keep gaining medical and volunteer experiences.

You aren't the "PI." Your boss is the PI. Just thought I would mention that, but best of luck.

It's far too early for a school list, but I think you need to focus on finishing strong in your prerequisites with a strong MCAT. Good job with the shadowing, continue there and add some clinical volunteer hours