How am I doing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nisarg2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am a Second year student and would like to know if im "on track" to medical school or not.

School: Public state school
Major: Environmental Engineering
cGPA: 3.67
Science GPA: 3.7

Clinical Volunteering: ~400 hrs
Non-Medical Volunteering: ~500 hrs
Shadowing (family physician, dermatologist, ER, Pediatrician): ~100hrs

Very involved in research (since fall semester of freshmen year). Attended one research conference. Its likely that I will have a publication (non-first author)

clubs:
Engineers without border
Environmental Engineering Society
Relay for Life - committee president
Intramural soccer team- caption
Founder of a pre dental club (a friend (who is pre-dent) needed help)
Unite for sight - president and treasurer

Have received walmart scholarship and another small scholarship to attend conference

That's it.

So as someone who has about 3 more semesters before application cycle comes around, how am I doing?

Also what else should I be focusing on (other then grades, I know I need to bring those up)?

Thanks everyone

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds good to me, I'm about where you are, albeit I've taken the MCAT. You have waaaaay more hours than I have though. Looks like you're set, bud. :)

Sounds good to me, I'm about where you are, albeit I've taken the MCAT. You have waaaaay more hours than I have though. Looks like you're set, bud. :)

Thank You for you input. Since you have taken MCAT, Im assuming you will be applying very soon. Just want to say Good Luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha. I'm actually taking another year. So class of 2014...in part due to input from this forum! I have little clinical experience! Ahhh!

Good luck to you my friend, too!

You have strong clinical volunteering and shadowing :thumbup: Was all of it done during college?

Actually, I think you're probably set when it comes to shadowing, and your time might be better spent doing something else. Unless you really love it and can't tear yourself away :)

Pre-dent club might be awkward to mention on a med school application.

How are your non-clinical volunteer hours distributed? Is there one place where you spend most of your time?

Sounds good just study hard for the MCAT

You have strong clinical volunteering and shadowing :thumbup: Was all of it done during college?

Actually, I think you're probably set when it comes to shadowing, and your time might be better spent doing something else. Unless you really love it and can't tear yourself away :)

Pre-dent club might be awkward to mention on a med school application.

How are your non-clinical volunteer hours distributed? Is there one place where you spend most of your time?

Most of the clinical volunteering is from college but some (70-80hrs) is from the summer before college.

I do love shadowing. I was thinking about maybe finding one or two more specialties (Cardo and ortho) before stopping with that. I have a while to get that done.

Most of the non-clinical volunteering has been at United Way but there are many other organizations that I have been involved with.

Thank you for the input

Sounds good just study hard for the MCAT

Thats the plan now. Starting this spring semester, I plan on doing about 10-12hrs/week of mcat studying and start the hardcore studying during the summer months. Im also thinking about taking MCAT prep course (kaplin or something) during the summer. I will be taking MCAT the earliest date in the fall sem. of my 3rd year. I only have Ochem 2 left as far as prereqs and Biochem is the only higher level class I will have time for with an engineering degree.

How does that sound?

That sounds great. I actually still haven't taken physics 2 but I still did well on the MCAT. That should definitely be more than enough studying. I did well on my MCAT with about 3.5 months of prep - though in reality, the best base for studying for the it imho is from your classes. gl man!

Better than most of us on SDN good job :thumbup:

Most of the non-clinical volunteering has been at United Way but there are many other organizations that I have been involved with.
Sounds good. I think a serious commitment to one or two organizations can really help to frame your app. You sound like you have it covered.

MCAT+GPA should be your highest priority for the next several semesters.

Good luck! :luck:

Better than most of us on SDN good job :thumbup:

I doubt it. Most people on here have like 3.8+ GPA's and 33+ MCAT with like 10 mission trips to third world countries. Thank you for saying that though.

Also thank you for taking the time to make such an informative MDapp profile. Its very helpful for people like me who will be applying later on.

Last edited: