How am I suppose to Improve my GpA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluevu77

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I recently discovered SDN and would like to say everyone here gives me motivation to work hard and finish my degree and move on to PT school. But my biggest concern is my GPA. I know there are people out there that get into PT school with bare minimums and good applications. My GPA right now is a 2.1 and I'm starting my senior year this Fall. I'm majoring in Psychology and will start on my prerequisites after I get my degree, so I'll spend an extra year after to finish those. I have to admit, I was one of those kids that played around freshman and sophmore year. A lot has been going on during my 2nd year to explain my terrible grades, (totalled brand new car, gf left me, uncle died, good friends disowned me). :( ....Anyways I tried searching on the forums how to improve gpa, a lot of people said to retake classes and such. The problem is if i retake classes, it won't do much because they'll still calculate in my overall gpa. And I also calculated if I make straight A's my senior year and on all my prereqs Imma still have only a 2.9 or 3.0. =( The more classes you take, less likely my gpa will go up any higher. Any alternatives? any help is much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

When you apply to PT school, they look at two GPA's (the overall and the pre-reqs). SO, if you get a 4.0 in the pre-reqs, then it will look like a situation in which you didn't "adjust" to college early in your undergrad. I've seen first hand that college's like to see improvement and maturation in your academia. There are MANY aspects of the application process. You know your overall GPA will be weak so maximize the other parts (essays, pre-reqs, references, GRE, shadowing, extracurricular, etc...) Good luck and don't get discouraged! :xf:

There is no secret to the formula that will improve your application. You need to work on improving GPA, do well on the GRE, and get volunteer hours. That works for you and everybody else. However, I would agree that would be good to apply and see what happens. If nothing else it will be a good experience to maybe learn what the schools think you need to improve.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, i'll just try and think of the application process as a whole and overall gpa is 1/5 of it. I'm planning on doing some volunteer work this summer and work on my gpa. I need to have more faith and tell myself I can do it. I think of myself as an average student, only making B's and C's no A's. I guess I gotta buckle down and have to really want it. Thanks guys =), everytime I feel down I come on here and read how the guy with the 2.8 got into PT school lol.

I am in a similar situation, except I graduated in 2006 with a BS in Engineering. My gpa is a low 2.6. At the time I didn't think much of my GPA and was content with just finishing. I lost a lot of opportunity because of it and have regretted all my decisions in college regarding my grades.

Now that I want to go into Physical Therapy, I'm not sure what I can do other than ace my Pre requisites (which I am currently doing very well), get lots of good volunteering hours done, get recommendation letters, and do good on GRE...and then still just HOPE it can lead me somewhere. In many ways I feel that it's a lost cause because they take into consideration the overall GPA. I feel like they won't consider someone who has changed and might deserve a second chance...

There is no clean slate to work off of, except maybe in Texas after 10 years with the "Fresh Start" program..

not trying to be pessimistic.. I am trying it myself also. good luck to you.

I found the application process very different from what I thought would be important. I focused on the overall GPA and little else. The result was a good GPA 3.77 overall 3.64 pre-reqs, low GRE 830 and average volunteering/observation hours. I was actually waitlisted at my first choice school (can't stress enough to study for GRE, even more important if you have a freaky fear of timed tests) but eventually got in. Schools really do look at the whole package. Also, many schools have the freshman forgiveness policy that only calculates the GPA from the last 60 credit hours. If you want this bad enough, work hard and find out what criteria your top choice schools weight the most.

I'm in the same situation. I'm about to start my junior year and I only have about a 2.1 Science Average and 3.1 Overall. At this rate DPT schools won't even look at my application. However I plan to do my first two years of prereqs over again and work hard the next few years to make up for it. Just don't lose hope and things will work out. =)
Redo your prereqs(especially anatomy and phys)
Rock out the rest of your courses as well.
Study hard for GRE.
Volunteer as much as you can.

-You've only truely lost when you stop trying.

I have 2.5'ish science gpa with just chem and bio... and I have no desire to go through the hell of retaking them again! Plus, my school averages the first grade with the new grade to give you a new grade. even if I made all A's (which I know I would never get here at Bing) I'd probably barely scratch a 3.0. I still have anatomy and physiology to take during my senior year. If I do well with them, I'll probably stop being so negative and go for it.

Anyone else worried about about a low prerequisite gpa? I can't see retaking classes again for another year or two... who is to say I'd do well taking them again? They were hard enough as it was the first time!!! :rolleyes:

I am also in the same boat as everyone here. I am just applying to a lot of school and see if they evaluate my whole application rather than just on the GPA. This definitely is not the situation I would like to be in right now in my life. My plan is though to take A&P 2 over again if I don't get into any programs. As many have told me there are people don't get into graduate school the first time around. That's what gets me going through these days of waiting to hear back from schools :)

All you can do is do the best you can from here on out. If you have classes with low grades, retake them. Ask on here who got into what schools with lower GPA's. At my small PT school in Arkansas, the applications are very competitive. I suppose there are schools that are less so, but I wouldn't be counting on that. Rock the GRE, do superb on your last 60 hours and get your science GPA as high as you can. You may or may not get in, but you absolutely can work as hard as you can to make your chances much better than they currently are.

If it were me, I would not try to explain my low GPA with the reasons you gave. Everyone has things go on during college. Some cope and still make good grades, some don't. In the end, it will just sound like excuses to cover up a lack of focus. I'm not trying to bust your chops, just telling it like it is.

I am also in the same boat as everyone here. I am just applying to a lot of school and see if they evaluate my whole application rather than just on the GPA. This definitely is not the situation I would like to be in right now in my life. My plan is though to take A&P 2 over again if I don't get into any programs. As many have told me there are people don't get into graduate school the first time around. That's what gets me going through these days of waiting to hear back from schools :)

yeah, feels kinda nice knowing it's not just you, right? That's what my plan has been since about 4 months ago... just today I suddenly got the thought in my head, "what if I don't get in... anywhere!?", hence why I revived this old topic. i hate the uncertainty... best we can do is work our butts off the rest of the way and hope for the best.

[/QUOTE]All you can do is do the best you can from here on out. If you have classes with low grades, retake them. Ask on here who got into what schools with lower GPA's. At my small PT school in Arkansas, the applications are very competitive. I suppose there are schools that are less so, but I wouldn't be counting on that. Rock the GRE, do superb on your last 60 hours and get your science GPA as high as you can. You may or may not get in, but you absolutely can work as hard as you can to make your chances much better than they currently are.

If it were me, I would not try to explain my low GPA with the reasons you gave. Everyone has things go on during college. Some cope and still make good grades, some don't. In the end, it will just sound like excuses to cover up a lack of focus. I'm not trying to bust your chops, just telling it like it is.[/QUOTE]

you're so right. i spent the better part of today sulking around my room wondering what i'm gonna do about my gpa... it's really getting to me bad, but If I do as you say and look to what I can do to make my situation better, it gives me a sliver of hope! i have already started observation hours (in my junior year) and I'm taking this ridiculous 8:30 class that takes me 25 minutes to walk to that promises an internship opportunity if you get a B+ or better. Brighter days are ahead! (hopefully)

Would applying to schools who only count the last 50 hours of undergrad help your situation? If so, Missouri University (MIZZOU) in Columbia Mo might be an option.