How are committee letters read?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Long Way to Go

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So this is a question for folks who have served on Admissions Committees: how do you read composite pre-med committee LORs? Do you read them to the exclusion of all others? Read them first and then read the individual letters? Or do you ignore them entirely and just stick with the individual letters.

Obviously, this doesn't really change how I'm going to approach my application--just something I've been curious about.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure they are all weighed relatively the same as any other letter. However, it's fair to assume that unless you've had very very extensive experiences with another letter writer, that your committee probably has the most input on who you are.

I'm sure they are all weighed relatively the same as any other letter. However, it's fair to assume that unless you've had very very extensive experiences with another letter writer, that your committee probably has the most input on who you are.
The way that my Committee works, and perhaps that this isn't how it is with others, is that the Committee compiles a composite letter based on LORs that I have submitted to them, plus whatever reflections that the pre-med advisor and my Committee interviewer have to offer. I would say that all of my letter writers know me better than whichever random faculty member who is selected to interview me. The original letters of recommendation are appended to the composite letter.

Members don't see this ad :)
That seems kind of strange to me.

So you get an MD letter, a letter from your PI, etc and it gets sent to your pre-med committee and they formulate their own letter based off of the doctor, PI, etc letters they received?

regardless, I suppose that is why it is beneficial to get to know the members on the pre-med committee at your school and to build a relationship with them throughout your 4 years at school

So you get an MD letter, a letter from your PI, etc and it gets sent to your pre-med committee and they formulate their own letter based off of the doctor, PI, etc letters they received?
Yep. The letters are written by the faculty member who interviews you (assigned at random from a pool of about a dozen) and then edited by the chair and the pre-med advisor. I'm actually surprised--I thought that this was common practice.

regardless, I suppose that is why it is beneficial to get to know the members on the pre-med committee at your school and to build a relationship with them throughout your 4 years at school
It varies by school. At mine, the committee makes you submit a form similar to the AMCAS primary, with a PS, in addition to some extra typical secondary-type questions (diversity, challenge you overcame), and 2-3 LoRs that you plan on sending once summer rolls around. You also do an interview for one of the committee members to get to know you personally (I guess, as more than just someone on paper).

All that information is synthesized to write a committee letter, which is sent in a packet with the letters of recommendations that you gave the committee.

maybe it is common practice, I haven't asked a lot of ppl about their committee letters, I guess I just figured they worked by asking your professors how things went along side of maybe a PS and resumé submitted to them. wouldn't figure a committee would use someone else's letter to write the committee letter.

my school didn't have a pre-med committee

The adcom members are free to tackle the letters as they wish and they can change their strategy as they please. I tended to read the committee letter first and rarely read the appended letters. I'd also skim the committee letters from certain schools that I knew well because I knew what sections of the letter were template and which sections would have specific bits of information I was unlikely to find elsewhere.
Most schools append all the individual letters in their entirety. A few schools will quote from the letters but not append them (watch out.... they may be trying to hide the applicant's warts). Most letters neither help nor hurt. A few hurt, a few help provide background information the student did not share or that was shared in a different way by the applicant who may have wanted to avoid sounding like he was making excuses (e.g. sudden death of a parent, loss of a home in a fire, etc).

Reactions: 1 user
I read all the letters. Committee LOR are useful because they provide a summary.
how do you read composite pre-med committee LORs? Do you read them to the exclusion of all others?

I read LORs from back to front in whatever order they're presented, because in our packets, that's where they are, and it makes them easiest to get to.
Read them first and then read the individual letters? Or do you ignore them entirely and just stick with the individual letters.

The adcom members are free to tackle the letters as they wish and they can change their strategy as they please. I tended to read the committee letter first and rarely read the appended letters. I'd also skim the committee letters from certain schools that I knew well because I knew what sections of the letter were template and which sections would have specific bits of information I was unlikely to find elsewhere.
Most schools append all the individual letters in their entirety. A few schools will quote from the letters but not append them (watch out.... they may be trying to hide the applicant's warts). Most letters neither help nor hurt. A few hurt, a few help provide background information the student did not share or that was shared in a different way by the applicant who may have wanted to avoid sounding like he was making excuses (e.g. sudden death of a parent, loss of a home in a fire, etc).
I'm curious how you treat us poor folks from large state universities without committees?? All of our warts are out there in the various LOR we try to cobble together from different parties. We don't have the (dis)advantage of "ranking", or telling folks we took the harder road. I assume the Adcoms know about us State schools, and adjust accordingly. Just seems that a committee letter composite gives more data to Adcoms. Should we lobby our schools to provide this service??

I'm curious how you treat us poor folks from large state universities without committees?? All of our warts are out there in the various LOR we try to cobble together from different parties. We don't have the (dis)advantage of "ranking", or telling folks we took the harder road. I assume the Adcoms know about us State schools, and adjust accordingly. Just seems that a committee letter composite gives more data to Adcoms. Should we lobby our schools to provide this service??
We know that the big state schools aren't the best for getting good LORs and we have to train the new adcom members who are critical of a letter that says that the student took the course, got an A on the midterm and an A on the final and was in the top 10% of the class and is recommended for medical school. Once they understand that these classes have 500 students and no one knows the student personally, they calm down.

We know that the big state schools aren't the best for getting good LORs and we have to train the new adcom members who are critical of a letter that says that the student took the course, got an A on the midterm and an A on the final and was in the top 10% of the class and is recommended for medical school. Once they understand that these classes have 500 students and no one knows the student personally, they calm down.
Thank you for clarification. It is mystery to me WHY we need a science "class" letter, when we really get to know our research professors better, but probably never took a class from them. Also, doing work with a medical school professor doesn't really work either, unless you are doing an honors project and can use it as a "science" class prof. And pity the poor soul who is nontraditional who hasn't been in a science class for years. I'm really liking schools that just ask for letters from folks who know you well, and can comment on your abilities and aptitudes. Same with Pre-reqs, if you can do well on the MCAT, what does it really matter what classes you took in undergrad?? Seems like just a bunch of hoops to jump through. And I just keep asking, how high do you want me to jump?? My rant for the day.

Thank you for clarification. It is mystery to me WHY we need a science "class" letter, when we really get to know our research professors better, but probably never took a class from them. Also, doing work with a medical school professor doesn't really work either, unless you are doing an honors project and can use it as a "science" class prof. And pity the poor soul who is nontraditional who hasn't been in a science class for years. I'm really liking schools that just ask for letters from folks who know you well, and can comment on your abilities and aptitudes. Same with Pre-reqs, if you can do well on the MCAT, what does it really matter what classes you took in undergrad?? Seems like just a bunch of hoops to jump through. And I just keep asking, how high do you want me to jump?? My rant for the day.
Some schools will let you substitute a letter from a PI for a "science faculty" letter. Just ask.

Some schools will let you substitute a letter from a PI for a "science faculty" letter. Just ask.
Wow, good to know. Guess I took their instructions too literally. Some schools only allow 3 letters, and I didn't want to waste a 500 person class letter for my Research PI. Many thanks for the clarification. Guess everything is open to interpretation. If a med school wants you, they probably overlook lots of little issues. Just don't want to give them ANY reason to put me in the reject pile. Make them work to reject me!! Many thanks for quick response.