How are Ortho Surgeons Generally Viewed by Peers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted421268

In the Medical Field how are ortho surgeons generally viewed by other peers like anesthesiologists, Derm, and other specialties??

Members don't see this ad.

BoltFerrari-01.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
In the Medical Field how are ortho surgeons generally viewed by other peers like anesthesiologists, Derm, and other specialties??

Judging by the ortho candidates that I saw on the interview trail (I'm not applying for ortho) - like completely stereotypical meatheads.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares.

Reactions: 2 users
Judging by the ortho candidates that I saw on the interview trail (I'm not applying for ortho) - like completely stereotypical meatheads.

Isn't that how neurosurgeons view every specialty other than their own?

Every field has stereotypes by which they are judged - fair or unfair. Elite medical students go into all fields - including those that are "non-competitive". So, it's understandable that they get frustrated when people assume they didn't do well in med school jus because they matched their specialty. If you separate yourself from medicine though, wouldn't you like to believe that your kid's pediatrician or your wife's ob-gyn are doing their job because they LOVED it and not because they couldn't match anything else? So, I always try to give people the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, it's a fair assumptions that most people who match into the "competitive" (i.e. life-style friendly or fewer spots) specialties are among the top med students in the country. For some competitive specialties, this just means they did really well on the USMLE and/or med school grades. Unfortunately, test scores say little about work ethic. That's why I like ortho so much.

To match ortho, you certainly have to be smart and do well in med school, but you also have to want to work hard. At my program we put in as many hours as any of the other specialties. Our program has a legacy of working hard, yet we all love what we do because we know how lucky we are to be doing it!

Occasionally, you'll find attendings from other specialties that treat us with a "stupid bone doctor" mentality. I think those guys are either jealous or they were trained at a time when that's exactly what an orthopod was expected to be! For the most part, however, we're seen as intelligent and hard working. So, I do get frustrated when fellow ortho residents ASSUME the stereotype and refuse to manage simple medical issued (BP, fluids, electrolytes, etc). The whole "let's just consult medicine for everything" is a stupid position that makes us look dumb.

The whole "let's just consult medicine for everything" is a stupid position that makes us look dumb.

I would say it makes you look responsible, not dumb. In private practice, although I'm sure you COULD manage these things, why not leave it to the experts in the field. You are still a doctor, but managing systemic medical issues is not your specialty. If the IMs in your community are getting resentful that they are getting consulted to manage this aspect of patient care, the question becomes, why are they so hot about it?

Isn't that how neurosurgeons view every specialty other than their own?

LOL, probably. In all seriousness though, they really do often act like meatheads, but the numbers do bear out that they're among the smarter and harder-working med students out there.

I would say it makes you look responsible, not dumb. In private practice, although I'm sure you COULD manage these things, why not leave it to the experts in the field. You are still a doctor, but managing systemic medical issues is not your specialty. If the IMs in your community are getting resentful that they are getting consulted to manage this aspect of patient care, the question becomes, why are they so hot about it?

Probably because part of the money orthopods are paid for the procedure includes the postoperative care. If they want to be the only surgical service that doesn't have to be responsible for minimally complicated postops that's fine, but their reimbursements should be changed accordingly. And probably will be cause they seem pretty high on medicare's hit list.

Me bone doctor!

Reactions: 1 user
Are orthos really under the crosshairs of cuts moreso than other specialties?

Probably because part of the money orthopods are paid for the procedure includes the postoperative care. If they want to be the only surgical service that doesn't have to be responsible for minimally complicated postops that's fine, but their reimbursements should be changed accordingly. And probably will be cause they seem pretty high on medicare's hit list.

Are orthos really under the crosshairs of cuts moreso than other specialties?

Sent from my ADR6300 using SDN Mobile

Mild infection to an incision is one thing. However if a post op patient develops erratic BP due to them forgetting to take their meds, then begins having angina and goes into a hyperglycemic crisis due to mismanaging their diabetic meds along with the stress of their post operative healing from a hip replacement and is admitted for all this when they begin feeling really badly and their incision looks infected, do you really think their Orthopedic surgeon should be managing them accutely, or begin the admission process and consult IM who then complains "Why can't they just handle their own damn patients???"?

Ultimately, egos aside, what's in the best interest of the patient?

I have no problem with slashing our incomes IF and only IF, the cost of our education becomes much closer to what the cost is for Drs. in the countries quoted.

That being said, some of the specialties that have high incomes in the US have equally high incomes in some of those countries. My brother is an Anesthesiologist, schooled and trained in Canada. His TOTAL cost for attending med school was LESS than $25K TOTAL. His current salary is MORE than someone equally trained and practicing in the US.

If you are talking specifically about anesthesiologists and dermatologists, the general view is that the ortho surgeons are not as smart as their peers in other specialties. This is, of course, just a general view, and I don't believe that it is true (I'm a neurosurgeon).

The whole ortho surgeons are dumb doctors is nothing but the purest form of jealousy.

My other favorite is the student's who were destined to be orthopedic surgery gods M1-M2. All of a sudden the "surgery lifestyle" isn't for them and nestle right into community IM programs. Hint: These are usually the IM docs ****ting on ortho.

Reactions: 1 user
For what it's worth as a family doc/sports med, most people recognize that ortho is a very competitive speciality and the residency is very hard (hours/physically), and the people who do it well, are true professionals. I enjoy my fellowship/future job, but I can't fix broken bones. A good, dedicated ortho surgeon is a valuable community resource.