PhD/PsyD How are publications in grad student journals viewed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

affectiveH3art

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope this is not off topic but does something published in for example Graduate Student Journal of Psychology considered a true publication? Or does it look like an attempt at a lower tier publication? How does a GSJP (an example) type of publication appear?

Mod note: This was a new topic, so I made it it's own thread.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
For what purpose? I mean, it does appear to be peer-reviewed, which is good. Is it an APA-journal (or other similar caliber of journal)? No. For applying to PhD programs, a paper published here would show me that you've gone through the entire publication process, which is great experience. Would I emphasize this journal on a CV applying for jobs? No. For the most part (there are exceptions, but I'm not going to undertake the mental exercise to figure out what they are right now), any publication is better than no publication.

Well I am already a PhD student so this question is not related to application rather generally speaking in academia. I am a first year (well going on to second year) so I am curious how this type of publication will look. Trust me this is not the only manuscript I am working on but I was interested in what people thought. Currently I have one manuscript (lit review of dissertation) in the works to be published in a well regarded journal and another in an international journal. But I am just wondering if this is respected as an "official" publication. Granted I just completed my first year...

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks psyc that makes sense. Just FYI that publication was just to pass time in my first year. I'm working on other papers to be published as well. Thanks.

Well I am already a PhD student so this question is not related to application rather generally speaking in academia. I am a first year (well going on to second year) so I am curious how this type of publication will look. Trust me this is not the only manuscript I am working on but I was interested in what people thought. Currently I have one manuscript (lit review of dissertation) in the works to be published in a well regarded journal and another in an international journal. But I am just wondering if this is respected as an "official" publication. Granted I just completed my first year...

It's hard to respond without sounding disparaging of those journals (I don't disparage them; they're good experiences and in some fields the grad student review journals are very well-regarded). But I would wonder why it didn't get published in a bigger journal. Did you already shop the paper around and hit blocks elsewhere?

It's hard to respond without sounding disparaging of those journals (I don't disparage them; they're good experiences and in some fields the grad student review journals are very well-regarded). But I would wonder why it didn't get published in a bigger journal. Did you already shop the paper around and hit blocks elsewhere?

This would also be how I would approach a paper in a grad student journal. Ultimately, my sense that it won't hurt you, but it won't be much help, either.

MC- In all honesty I probably could have, however since I submitted it around the first month of my PhD program I was unsure of where to publish. In retrospect it probably could have been submitted in a higher journal, but it is good to know what people think in the field.