How are you studying for the Behavioral Sci section?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilovemedi

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm studying from Kaplan, and there is SO much concepts/people/theories we need to memorize.. I'm just making flashcards, and hoping that will get me through, but still it's a lot... What method is everyone else using? At least with biochem, it's still a lot of the old bio, just more indepth.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm working it through it right now. There is so much information, and my current game plan is to read through a chapter a day (10 in the Kaplan book), take a practice test, and see where I should focus my studying. As it's essentially just memorization, the more time I give myself to familiarize myself with the concepts/theories/functions of the brain, the better off I'll be in the end. Some things (esp in the social/behavioural psych you won't forget), that makes it easier.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm working it through it right now. There is so much information, and my current game plan is to read through a chapter a day (10 in the Kaplan book), take a practice test, and see where I should focus my studying. As it's essentially just memorization, the more time I give myself to familiarize myself with the concepts/theories/functions of the brain, the better off I'll be in the end. Some things (esp in the social/behavioural psych you won't forget), that makes it easier.
Which practice test are you using for this section? aamc question packs don't exist for this :(. And agreed - it's ALL memorization for this section.

Which practice test are you using for this section? aamc question packs don't exist for this :(. And agreed - it's ALL memorization for this section.

When you say that the Psych/Soc section is essentially all memorization, do you mean that studying for the section from review books is essentially just memorizing stuff (i.e. simply the way the review books are presenting the info, and not necessarily representative of the actual MCAT), or are you predicting that the real section on the MCAT will be heavily based on our memorization? (hope that distinction is clear. I know there's no way to actually predict what the section on the MCAT will be like, but just wanted to get some clarification on what you mean by "memorization")

Memorization? Have you worked through the AAMC passages in the 2015 guide? A lot of it is initial memorization of the definitions, but as awhole the critical thinking aspect is huge for this section.
Memorization will get you through the concepts but still approach this section in a BS/VR type of way.

i'm using exam krackers for the content review and TNS for practice.

exam krackers is only 5 chapters and is pretty easy to get through......not much memorizing required. also, they have practice tests at the end of each chapter.

there are 15 passages in the ek book (3 at the end of each chapter)

there are 4 full length physc/socio tests in TNS practice book.

When you say that the Psych/Soc section is essentially all memorization, do you mean that studying for the section from review books is essentially just memorizing stuff (i.e. simply the way the review books are presenting the info, and not necessarily representative of the actual MCAT), or are you predicting that the real section on the MCAT will be heavily based on our memorization? (hope that distinction is clear. I know there's no way to actually predict what the section on the MCAT will be like, but just wanted to get some clarification on what you mean by "memorization")
Im going by what people are saying when they took the AAMC FL/official questions! Apparently the section focused on really knowing the different theories and felt like a " vocab quiz". Again I didn't take ijt yet but I'm just going by what other posters have said around here.

just a heads up: I'm studying using KA videos and EK, and if you choose to go with EK to study for Psych/Soc you'll also need to get their Biology: Systems book, because a good amount of content in the Psych/Soc categories are covered not in the Psych/Soc book, but in their Biology: Systems book..