How bad do withdraws and repeats look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr.EMT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I will be finishing up my BS with close to a 3.85 overall and a 3.84 science, but will have a little more than a few withdraws and repeats. I kind of had a rough start on college and when my first daughter came along, between work and school, I missed out on her first month and dropped all of my classes soon after. My second daughter showed up not too long ago, along with my wife’s first semester of nursing school and well, it happened again. We are going to be looking at 12 repeated classes. I hope on making up for it with my MCAT, but hope does not always get far…

What are some of your opinions?
(I am aiming for UT Houston)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Your reasons for withdrawal seems more than legit...
I would be suprised if every school fails to accept you for that reason...
Being a student, a worker, and a father at the same time, and still being able to pursue your dream to become a doctor...
I give you mad props...
My reason for W is unacceptable when compared to yours...

Do well on ur MCATs, your GPA is steller regardless of your dozen W's, make sure you include your extreme circumstances on your AMCAS and secondaries...

I personally hope you get into Med School!!!

Best Wishes

Well, your GPA is still solid and you have a valid excuse. Just rock your MCAT and include your reasoning in your personal statement. You'll do fine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are these repeated courses that you received a grade in or is it withdrawn courses that you just took at a later time? If you received a low grade in these courses then your GPA will not be that high (unless that is already calculated in your GPA as it is).

Although I do believe that DO schools will only count the second time you repeated a course. I'm not entirely sure on that.

as said above.. be aware that if you received a grade for any of the classes you retook, the original grade as well as the new grade count for MD schools...:luck: