How bad does it look if AMCAS corrects a course?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

beeboops

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a handful of courses corrected on my AMCAS, and I'm not even really sure why unless I inadvertently sorted them incorrectly or something. I was under the impression that AMCAS did not correct course titles or numbers, so I don't think it was that, and I can't imagine that I input the wrong grade for that many courses. Is that bad, and if so, how bad?

Also, for some reason, my AMCAS calculated sGPA and cGPA from undergrad both dropped 0.01 points since I last applied in the 2013-2014 cycle. Could this be due to classifying a certain class differently? Would appreciate if anyone could shed light on this. I'm not stressing too hard about it, but I am very curious.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a handful of courses corrected on my AMCAS, and I'm not even really sure why unless I inadvertently sorted them incorrectly or something. I was under the impression that AMCAS did not correct course titles or numbers, so I don't think it was that, and I can't imagine that I input the wrong grade for that many courses. Is that bad, and if so, how bad?

Also, for some reason, my AMCAS calculated sGPA and cGPA from undergrad both dropped 0.01 points since I last applied in the 2013-2014 cycle. Could this be due to classifying a certain class differently? Would appreciate if anyone could shed light on this. I'm not stressing too hard about it, but I am very curious.
What probably happened was that a course that was slightly helping your sGPA was reclassified into cGPA, which it slightly hurts. I'm guessing an A- was moved, and your sGPA was below 3.7 while your cGPA was above 3.7?

I'm sorry, where do you see calculated GPAs ? I don't see mine anywhere on the app.

Members don't see this ad :)
It doesn't. AMCAS did that to me, I'm fine.

I would bet you change in GPA might be due to rounding differences. They don't really care about the hundredths digit anyway.

I applied a few years ago, about half of my courses said "corrected" next to it, although I couldn't tell what was changed. My GPA was .1 higher than I calculated...I have no idea why.

So, no. No. It doesn't matter. Don't worry about it.

Reactions: 1 user
What probably happened was that a course that was slightly helping your sGPA was reclassified into cGPA, which it slightly hurts. I'm guessing an A- was moved, and your sGPA was below 3.7 while your cGPA was above 3.7?

Actually, both the sGPA and cGPA fell by 0.01, so I didn't think it was due to reclassifying. Ah well, not going to lose sleep over it. If I get massively bored, I'll compare/contrast this year's and 2013's courses to see and report back if anyone else is having the same issue.

I'm sorry, where do you see calculated GPAs ? I don't see mine anywhere on the app.

You can only see AMCAS calculated GPAs after you've been verified, meaning all your transcripts are in, you've submitted and paid, and AMCAS has checked over your app for any discrepancies in your coursework.

Actually, both the sGPA and cGPA fell by 0.01, so I didn't think it was due to reclassifying. Ah well, not going to lose sleep over it. If I get massively bored, I'll compare/contrast this year's and 2013's courses to see and report back if anyone else is having the same issue.

You can only see AMCAS calculated GPAs after you've been verified, meaning all your transcripts are in, you've submitted and paid, and AMCAS has checked over your app for any discrepancies in your coursework.
Yes, in the case I described they would both fall slightly.

Say you had a 3.6 sGPA and a 3.8 cGPA. If you moved an A-/3.7 from the former to the latter, they would both fall a small amount, one no longer being propped and the other newly being dropped.

Isn't there a tool to calculate it yourself though?

Transcripts, 2/3 LOR in, app submitted and paid for. Says my application is ready for my chosen schools. Still don't see a GPA count.

Transcripts, 2/3 LOR in, app submitted and paid for. Says my application is ready for my chosen schools. Still don't see a GPA count.

If you click "print application" and select either print as PDF or print as HTML (either one should work) and scroll down about midway or so, it'll show the breakdown of your GPAs by BCPM, all others, and cumulative for all years.

Reactions: 1 user
They did that to me over a few classes I capitalized incorrectly or mis-spelled.

Also, referring to a class as CH303 when it appears on your transcript as CH330 will get a correction.

A few corrections don't mean anything.

Okay, I figured out what the problem is with my cGPA and sGPA both falling by 0.01 points. One class was credited as a C rather than a C+, which is what I put down in my previous application. Honestly, I can't even remember if I really did get a C or a C+ in it since it was a single class taken at a different place than my home institution about 5 years ago. Would it be worth it to order a transcript for myself and request AMCAS to take another look at it if indeed the grade really is a C+? I'm not so much worried about the 0.01 point drop in cGPA and sGPA, but it does drop my sophomore year BCPM GPA by about 0.05 points. Thoughts? It was also a repeated course (yes, I know, I got a C+ or maybe a C in a repeated course :confused:), and I know I marked it as such on my application, but that was removed after verification... Pretty confused.