How bad does this look?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChristianTroy1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently having a very hard time in a 5-week upper-division biology class. Assuming I can get at least a 10 in the biological sciences section of the MCAT, How bad would it look if I take a W in my only upper division bio class? This would be my first W.

I earned an A- in Bio1 and an A in bio2, but this class is just destroying me. I am a Chemistry major and do not need the class to graduate. My GPA dipped from a 3.90 to a 3.81 due to a C in E and M, I don't think I can handle another C especially for a class not needed to graduate... What does everyone think?

Members don't see this ad.

Also worth noting, I am going into my 3rd year of college and this is my first Upper Division class.

If you're a chem major, just take the required Bio classes for med school (1 + 2, and maybe Biochem).

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're a chem major, just take the required Bio classes for med school (1 + 2, and maybe Biochem).

Yes, I plan to take 1 year of biochemistry... but I am worried because med school seems to be mostly based on biology ... and if I can't even handle 1 upper division biology class it may raise some eyebrows ... assuming I keep my GPA above a 3.8 and get a good MCAT score, am I being paranoid? Or is this is a good concern...

The general consensus from this board is that one or two Ws isn't detrimental. It started to look bad when there are a lot of them. If anyone asks during your application process state that there was a scheduling conflict and you were too overloaded etc.

The general consensus from this board is that one or two Ws isn't detrimental. It started to look bad when there are a lot of them. If anyone asks during your application process state that there was a scheduling conflict and you were too overloaded etc.

Thank you for the advice. Yes, this is my first W, and my lowest grade besides a C in Physics is an A-. My only concern is, is it a red flag to have only taken 1 upper division Biology class and earn a W in it? To my understanding, it is highly recommended by most medical schools to take upper division biology.

Thank you for the advice. Yes, this is my first W, and my lowest grade besides a C in Physics is an A-. My only concern is, is it a red flag to have only taken 1 upper division Biology class and earn a W in it? To my understanding, it is highly recommended by most medical schools to take upper division biology.

I would take another upper division course. If you're a chemistry major, you probably don't need to take upper level biology courses. I'm sure UCLA will make you take biochemistry, physical chemistry, qualitative analysis (or some sort of analytical chem) as a chemistry major, no?

What was the course you were taking? Why not try another course?

Or why not just take the same course but over a regular semester, I bet it would be easier, 5 weeks is pretty short! You could play it like you decided you wanted to spend your summer doing something else instead of taking the class, just make sure that your passing when you withdraw from the class so there isn't some note on your transcript that you withdrew with a failing grade.

I would take another upper division course. If you're a chemistry major, you probably don't need to take upper level biology courses. I'm sure UCLA will make you take biochemistry, physical chemistry, qualitative analysis (or some sort of analytical chem) as a chemistry major, no?

What was the course you were taking? Why not try another course?

Yes, UCLA requires all of those things, but I noticed that a lot of med schools highly recommend upper level biology classes. The class I was taking is Genetics, which should be relatively easy compared to other upper-div classes. And unfortunately a lot of medical schools specifically recommend/require a course in genetics ...

Or why not just take the same course but over a regular semester, I bet it would be easier, 5 weeks is pretty short! You could play it like you decided you wanted to spend your summer doing something else instead of taking the class, just make sure that your passing when you withdraw from the class so there isn't some note on your transcript that you withdrew with a failing grade.

Yes, I could indeed do that... and I got right on the average but unfortunately he sets his averages to a C, which is a bit harsh. So I'm not exactly failing, but I'm not exactly doing stellar.

If you go this route and kick butt on the BS section of the MCAT I think you'll be fine

Yes, I could indeed do that... and I got right on the average but unfortunately he sets his averages to a C, which is a bit harsh. So I'm not exactly failing, but I'm not exactly doing stellar.

Yes... Ws are fine, but WFs are not.

lol man I can't even imagine taking a upper level bio course in 5 weeks and especially with the things I've heard about the genetics course. I would take the W, it's a small battle you're withdrawing from but it's only done to preserve the strength of your GPA for the future.