How "bad" is it really?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MPSIII

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm a pre-clinical med student, and I've always been interested in NS, I like the science, the technology, the challenge, and the anatomy. When I tell people that I'm interested in NS, it's invariably met with "you're a masochist," which is of course incorrect, but given as much as people come back with that response, I'm left to wonder just how intense of a lifestyle NS must be for everyone to say that.

My question is, what is a typical week/month like for a NS resident, as far as getting to the hospital, hours/day, leaving the hospital, weekends, schedule predictability, etc? I realize it's not a bank teller's schedule, but is it still feasible to have some degree of involvement with other things, eg. men's league hockey monday nights at 9.30 (my current extra-curricular release) and a weekend off her and there to see family/friends? I'd like to hear from some people at various stages to see what it's like PGY-1 versus PGY-5, etc? Additionally, how different/similar is the schedule for a practicing NS, either private or academic?

Members don't see this ad.

"Only people interested in Neurosurgery would start a thread like this. Everyday the people I meet in this field demonstrate to me that they are born with this type of ego they don’t gain it during training. I guess I have my own problems or I would have never become associated with a field like this. Truth is people in this field are far more likely to discuss how “long they stayed post-call” i.e. “I am such a bad ass, I can take anything”. When this really boils down to some poor bastard with greasy hair ****in falling asleep while he fills out discharge paper work. Take this you badasses I have been so sleepy I fell asleep on the toilet one time. Wow I am great I am so tough. I am sure all of us are massively improving patient care when we have been awake for 36 hours continuously. Give me a break. A Nurse practioner from Boston and a social worker could probably do 10x more for society with eight hours of sleep than the sorry bunch of louts we are. Jesus how did I get myself involved with this field. Neurosurgeons particularly the young trainees are real quick to talk about how they are tough. I tell you what we don’t talk about. We don’t talk about how ****ty neurosurgery outcomes are. How are your patients doing? No body talks about that. Because it makes them to damn sad and deflates that badass Neurosurg Ego. It is only an elite patient on my service that can even speak a complete ****ing phrase. But If you listen to the sonofabitches around here you would think that we are the best doctors in the world. Bull ****. We are fighting a losing battle in most cases, and while that isn’t really the fault of neurosurgeons, we need to at least have some humility. If people just want to show how tough they are they should become marines or go into radiology and run triathalons. I am warning anyone who will listen, which unfortunately wasn’t me, this field is about trying to fix things that can’t be fixed. It is about helping people that are in the worst situations imaginable. What if no one could understand you and you couldn’t understand anyone else and you also couldn’t move the right side of your body, have you even thought about what it is like to be in that situation? The last thing a person in such misery needs is someone who thinks only about himself all the time. Just walk away from this field unless you are ready to go down with the ship again and again. This field isn’t beautiful or dramatic it is work work tragedy tragedy repeat. It isn’t about how long you stay in the hospital. Because no one gives a **** when their loved one is still paralyzed after an accident or still dies of a brain tumor or stroke three months later in a nursing home. No one really remembers that you were working real hard. What they remember is that unkempt bastard was real mean and he snapped at us when we asked what we could expect for mom/dad/brother. Real mean real unprofessional, Real tired. I tell you who cares how much you are at the hospital and how tired you are, your family. And they are pissed they are alienated because they think you don’t really care about them, and they might be right. Oh well lets go get em, we’re a tough bunch. I am not on call tonight but maybe I will stay up anyway how do like that?"

Reactions: 8 users
Ya, that really doesn't help...

Members don't see this ad :)
I chuckle at InquisitiveGuy's post because I do actually see a lot of truth in that, both in myself and some of my colleagues despite being at one of the least malignant neurosurgery programs. As far as the answer to your question, MPSIII, it is highly dependent on the location, the setting (academic vs. private), and the mindset of the surgeon when it comes to life AFTER residency. Some of our private attendings are very family-oriented and work about 60 hours a week. They aren't getting the high profile tumors, avm/aneurysms cases though, and they aren't like some of the guys who make serious bank by doing as many spine cases as they can per week. Our academic attendings probably work closer to 70-80, and our pediatric neurosurgeons probably log about 80-120 hours a week because of all the call, most of which they prefer to take inhouse since we get a lot of emergent pediatric cases in the middle of the night. They also prefer to come in if any of their patients have a complication regardless of whether they are scheduled to be on call or not, but that's their own personal preference.

For residency, my day-to-day life depends on what service I am currently on, and later on the level of training. Our busier services occasionally breach the 88 hour exception that we have although our program strives to be as compliant with ACGME rulings as possible (that may mean less call for the services with longer work days). Our less busier services mean more like 50-65 hour weeks, and the middle of the road is about 70-80 hours a week. Junior residents take inhouse call, while seniors/chiefs take call from home as back up to the juniors. We somehow manage to average 2 golden weekends a month, but that sometimes means q2call for a short time to make that happen. Everything (usually) averages out to be ACGME compliant, though.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
For the attendings who work 70-80, is that like 5 12 hour days plus 1-2 nights of call?

For the attendings who work 70-80, is that like 5 12 hour days plus 1-2 nights of call?

Yeah. The non-pediatric ones take call from home and only get called in for emergent stuff that needs to go to the OR right away, or the ones who do the crazy tumors and avms may be doing 10-hour cases back to back (we have a few like that). Friday night and weekend call basically guarantees at least one trip in to operate, so many opt to stay inhouse on their weekend calls.

Hello,
I'm a pre-clinical med student, and I've always been interested in NS, I like the science, the technology, the challenge, and the anatomy. When I tell people that I'm interested in NS, it's invariably met with "you're a masochist," which is of course incorrect, but given as much as people come back with that response, I'm left to wonder just how intense of a lifestyle NS must be for everyone to say that.

My question is, what is a typical week/month like for a NS resident, as far as getting to the hospital, hours/day, leaving the hospital, weekends, schedule predictability, etc? I realize it's not a bank teller's schedule, but is it still feasible to have some degree of involvement with other things, eg. men's league hockey monday nights at 9.30 (my current extra-curricular release) and a weekend off her and there to see family/friends? I'd like to hear from some people at various stages to see what it's like PGY-1 versus PGY-5, etc? Additionally, how different/similar is the schedule for a practicing NS, either private or academic?

Hi, so I'm not a neurosurgeon, but I'm on a neurosurgery rotation and can give you a sense of the hours worked by the residents. The interns arrive around 4am, the 2nd and 3rd years arrive at around 5am, and rounds start at 5:45am. There are usually about 25 people that need to be seen by a resident in the morning which means that those 1-2 hours of pre-rounding are very, very intense. Nobody -- not attendings, not chiefs, and certainly not interns -- leaves before 7pm, and usually people stay later. And this is every day, every week, 6 days a week. So, a resident's typical workday is 14 hours long, often longer, leaving only 2 hours per day for transportation, hygiene, socialization, etc., if you sleep a normal amount (and none of them sleep more than 5 hours a night, I've asked). Hope this helps. You'll see the same thing if you do a neurosurgery rotation.

I chuckle at InquisitiveGuy's post because I do actually see a lot of truth in that, both in myself and some of my colleagues despite being at one of the least malignant neurosurgery programs.

That quote was great to read today -- I'm less than two weeks into my neurosurgery rotation and have gotten asked so may times "why are YOU doing a neurosurgery rotation?" (referencing that I have applied to psychiatry residencies) so many times I've lost count. I also attended clinic with the chair today who told me he's only bothering to teach me things because "there is some stuff you need to know whether you become a psychiatrist or a real doctor" and he actually belittled me ("this one is going into psychiatry so watch out") when introducing me to patients. I'm trying to find it amusing.

Ya, that really doesn't help...
take this with a grain of salt since im only a med student... but having hung around the ns service a few times i can say that the post from uncleharvey might not be that far off from the truth

Yeah- the Uncle HArvey post is actually pretty dead on. I think the best way for you to experience what the post portrays is to actually do a NSG rotation. I was someone who was highly motivated to go into NSG, did lots of research, publications, shadowed, knew everyone in the dept etc.. but ultimately, after I did the actual rotation-- I definitely agree. I think the UHarvey post very eloquently summarizes what the true experience is. If you are ok with GCS 7 patients hence no communication, 18 hour long days, waking up at 4 am, standing 15+ hours in surgery cases, intense rounds covering 40-50 patients of whom over half are in the NS ICU , residents who are tense/tired, overworked-- then go for it. On the rotation, I kept wondering about what actually fueled residents to keep going. so- unless u are super in love with the surgeries and can compromise your personal life, go for it--it is def the field for you.

Last edited:
It's been a while since I've posted here. Funny how time flies, as I vividly remember my first posts as a pre-med a couple of years ago.

Anyway, I'm only a PGY-3 NS resident, but I just wanted to balance things out a little. Not that my opinion should change your overall view on this field, but imo it is not necessarily as bad as portrayed by some here. I guess I'm at a ''non-hardcore'' program or whatever that means, but I have a reasonable social life, work between 70-90 hours per week, get to do some pretty cool stuff everyday and make a significant difference in people's lives. Oh, and I operate comfortably on a variety of bread and butter cases. Exactly what I signed up for!

I rarely see 15+ hour surgeries (despite being on the skullbase service for the past 4 months with arguably one the top 10 skullbase gurus in the world). We tend to multistage really complex surgeries, and basilar tip clippings are extremely rare here.

Also, the vast majority of our patients go home in a better shape then when they came in, and most of my attendings/fellows/residents are a friendly bunch with no glaring behavioral problems.

No regrets here whatsoever. It's quite a privilege actually.

Last edited:
Just for fun, here's an international perspective (Australia):

In Australia, the doctor heirarchy goes intern -> resident -> registrar -> consultant (aka attending). Residents here are actually undifferentiated 'house medical officers' rotating through (pgy2-3). Registrars = your residents, and its a 6 year program here (1 of those years being research- so a bit shorter). The benefit of having these undifferentiated residents is they handle most of the floor work letting registrars focus on the OR.

Rounds start at 6:30-7 with the intern, resident and registrar all in attendance. Finish by 8, with morning lists usually starting by 8:30-9. This is when the consultant usually rocks up. The PM list may finish around 6pm, whence the consultants usually do a quick round of their patients with the registrar/residents. So consultants typically work 8:30-7ish hours, with residents/registrars maybe an hour or two on top. Average consultant work hours including call and admin tasks is about 60 hours week here. Registrars probably 70.

I think this is a pretty nice schedule. Not sure if training suffers because of our relatively less hours, but I think the system of having separate residents handling the floor scut definitely has its advantages.

PS. the UK is another step down in intensity. I hear surgery trainees put in 50 hour work weeks :O

Just for fun, here's an international perspective (Australia):

In Australia, the doctor heirarchy goes intern -> resident -> registrar -> consultant (aka attending). Residents here are actually undifferentiated 'house medical officers' rotating through (pgy2-3). Registrars = your residents, and its a 6 year program here (1 of those years being research- so a bit shorter). The benefit of having these undifferentiated residents is they handle most of the floor work letting registrars focus on the OR.

Rounds start at 6:30-7 with the intern, resident and registrar all in attendance. Finish by 8, with morning lists usually starting by 8:30-9. This is when the consultant usually rocks up. The PM list may finish around 6pm, whence the consultants usually do a quick round of their patients with the registrar/residents. So consultants typically work 8:30-7ish hours, with residents/registrars maybe an hour or two on top. Average consultant work hours including call and admin tasks is about 60 hours week here. Registrars probably 70.

I think this is a pretty nice schedule. Not sure if training suffers because of our relatively less hours, but I think the system of having separate residents handling the floor scut definitely has its advantages.

PS. the UK is another step down in intensity. I hear surgery trainees put in 50 hour work weeks :O

That is nonsense about the UK. Technically those are about the hours it is meant to be but in reality it is much, much more than that. Also we do 2 general years, 8 years of neurosurgery, maybe 1 year of fellowship and somewhere in the middle 3 years for a PhD without which you pretty much wont get a consultant post.

Members don't see this ad :)
"Only people interested in Neurosurgery would start a thread like this. Everyday the people I meet in this field demonstrate to me that they are born with this type of ego they don't gain it during training. I guess I have my own problems or I would have never become associated with a field like this. Truth is people in this field are far more likely to discuss how "long they stayed post-call" i.e. "I am such a bad ass, I can take anything". When this really boils down to some poor bastard with greasy hair ****in falling asleep while he fills out discharge paper work. Take this you badasses I have been so sleepy I fell asleep on the toilet one time. Wow I am great I am so tough. I am sure all of us are massively improving patient care when we have been awake for 36 hours continuously. Give me a break. A Nurse practioner from Boston and a social worker could probably do 10x more for society with eight hours of sleep than the sorry bunch of louts we are. Jesus how did I get myself involved with this field. Neurosurgeons particularly the young trainees are real quick to talk about how they are tough. I tell you what we don't talk about. We don't talk about how ****ty neurosurgery outcomes are. How are your patients doing? No body talks about that. Because it makes them to damn sad and deflates that badass Neurosurg Ego. It is only an elite patient on my service that can even speak a complete ****ing phrase. But If you listen to the sonofabitches around here you would think that we are the best doctors in the world. Bull ****. We are fighting a losing battle in most cases, and while that isn't really the fault of neurosurgeons, we need to at least have some humility. If people just want to show how tough they are they should become marines or go into radiology and run triathalons. I am warning anyone who will listen, which unfortunately wasn't me, this field is about trying to fix things that can't be fixed. It is about helping people that are in the worst situations imaginable. What if no one could understand you and you couldn't understand anyone else and you also couldn't move the right side of your body, have you even thought about what it is like to be in that situation? The last thing a person in such misery needs is someone who thinks only about himself all the time. Just walk away from this field unless you are ready to go down with the ship again and again. This field isn't beautiful or dramatic it is work work tragedy tragedy repeat. It isn't about how long you stay in the hospital. Because no one gives a **** when their loved one is still paralyzed after an accident or still dies of a brain tumor or stroke three months later in a nursing home. No one really remembers that you were working real hard. What they remember is that unkempt bastard was real mean and he snapped at us when we asked what we could expect for mom/dad/brother. Real mean real unprofessional, Real tired. I tell you who cares how much you are at the hospital and how tired you are, your family. And they are pissed they are alienated because they think you don't really care about them, and they might be right. Oh well lets go get em, we're a tough bunch. I am not on call tonight but maybe I will stay up anyway how do like that?"

This is an epic post. But what about after residency?

That is nonsense about the UK. Technically those are about the hours it is meant to be but in reality it is much, much more than that. Also we do 2 general years, 8 years of neurosurgery, maybe 1 year of fellowship and somewhere in the middle 3 years for a PhD without which you pretty much wont get a consultant post.

So nearly every neurosurgery attending in the UK has a PhD? And these PhDs only take 1 year to do? This sounds like some serious degree inflation you've got going on over there.

So nearly every neurosurgery attending in the UK has a PhD? And these PhDs only take 1 year to do? This sounds like some serious degree inflation you've got going on over there.

didnt he say 3 years for the PhD?

didnt he say 3 years for the PhD?

Yeah, my bad. I read "somewhere in the middle of 3 years" as "somewhere in the middle of year 3".

I guess its still amazing that every neurosurgeon is meant to get a PhD. Seems like a huge waste of time, but at least its only 3 years.

Old school consultants do not have PhDs because competition wasn't as bad when they would have applied for their jobs. These days however to get a consultant job in certain specialties a PhD is likely to be needed so the majority of the juniors do have them.

Last edited:
Old school consultants do not have PhDs because competition wasn't as bad when they would have applied for their jobs. These days however to get a consultant job a PhD is likely to be needed so the majority of the juniors do have them.

So there are so many neurosurgeons in the UK that they need PhDs to even be competitive for a position? This is amazing.

How did you guys train so many neurosurgeons?

So there are so many neurosurgeons in the UK that they need PhDs to even be competitive for a position? This is amazing.

That is certainly what I have been told and one of the juniors once said that he felt like an idiot compared to the others because he hadn't finished his PhD yet.

The way our training works in all specialties is ridiculous, for most specialties you have to reapply for jobs after being in the specialty for 2 years and most people then don't get that next job so have wasted 2 years. Your system is far, far better in many ways. That being said though, if you can actually get a job here the training is outstanding.

Last edited:

Not just neurosurgery - almost every surgical speciality and a raft of medical ones seem to expect something like a phd these days. That said, British phds are shorter than American ones - and quite a lot of folks do them part-time alongside their clinical work.

Take ortho for example - it's career path looks like this from what I can see..

FY1, FY2, CT1, CT2, teaching job, MSc, clinical specialist, CT3, CT4, CT5, CT6, fellowship, PhD, staff grade, staff grade, staff grade, consultancy, etc.

(I have no idea if those terms mean anything to you)

That is certainly what I have been told and one of the juniors once said that he felt like an idiot compared to the others because he hadn't finished his PhD yet.

The way our training works in all specialties is ridiculous, for most specialties you have to reapply for jobs after being in the specialty for 2 years and most people then don't get that next job so have wasted 2 years. Then a lot of people never end up getting a consultant (attending) position because there just aren't enough jobs. Your system is far, far better in many ways. That being said though, if you can actually get a job here the training is outstanding.

Neuro is run-through.

I agree, I prefer the USA's system and getting out of the UK is the reason I joined this forum! There are so many bottlenecks at different levels of the system - there is even one developing at foundation year level now FFS!! (although we can blame the euros for that one!)

Last edited:
Not just neurosurgery - almost every surgical speciality and a raft of medical ones seem to expect something like a phd these days. That said, British phds are shorter than American ones - and quite a lot of folks do them part-time alongside their clinical work.

FY1, FY2, CT1, CT2, teaching job, MSc, clinical specialist, CT3, CT4, CT5, CT6, fellowship, PhD, staff grade, staff grade, staff grade, consultancy, etc.

Neuro is run-through.

I agree, I prefer the USA's system and getting out of the UK is the reason I joined this forum! There are so many bottlenecks at different levels of the system - there is even one developing at foundation year level now FFS!! (although we can blame the euros for that one!)

Yeah, I know neuro is a run-through, I was just saying that most jobs aren't.

Very few people in other specialties have PhDs except those that want to be academics, whereas in neurosurgery most people seem to do them and most take the time out rather than do it part time. This does vary by location though. Apparently there is the odd neurosurgery centre that prefers people to be purely clinical and just get the job done basically.

The career path you posted is a gross overestimation of what is actually done. People only take teaching positions or do an MSc at such a junior level if they can't get a job, unless it is a part-time on the side thing. One year out somewhere in between F1 and whatever ST ortho goes up to (which I think is more than 6) would be more the norm. Very few people actually do fellowships outside of neurosurgery here and obviously you never want to be a staff grade. I don't know if you know someone that has done what you posted but if they have done that they are either crazy keen on academics or are deficient in some area and repeatedly couldn't get a job.

Last edited:
Yeah, I know neuro is a run-through, I was just saying that most jobs aren't.

Very few people in other specialties have PhDs except those that want to be academics, whereas in neurosurgery most people seem to do them and most take the time out rather than do it part time. This does vary by location though. Apparently there is the odd neurosurgery centre that prefers people to be purely clinical and just get the job done basically.

The career path you posted is a gross overestimation of what is actually done. People only take teaching positions or do an MSc at such a junior level if they can't get a job, unless it is a part-time on the side thing. One year out somewhere in between F1 and whatever ST ortho goes up to (which I think is more than 6) would be more the norm. Very few people actually do fellowships here either and obviously you never want to be a staff grade. I don't know if you know someone that has done what you posted but if they have done that they are either crazy keen on academics or are deficient in some area and repeatedly couldn't get a job.

There is no such thing as CT3+ by the way! It's ST at that level.

I don't think it is an overestimation in the modern NHS for things like Ortho. Nobody wants to be a staff grade - but you can't exactly waltz into consultancy straight after CCT like you did in the good old days! There are far more senior registrars than there are consultant posts, and it's not as if you can do 8 years of specialty training and then take a consultant post in a different specialty just because there wasn't one available in yours. Becoming a consultant is by no means automatic any more. I know of quite a few people who have their CCT (i.e. are qualified to be consultants) who are working as registrars because there are no consultant posts. The NHS is changing they don't care whether you spent 8 years training to get there, there is no guarantee you will become a consultant and there has been discussion about sub-consultant roles specifically being created in part because of this. What the Government ideally wants is alot of consultant grade doctors working for non consultant wages - ie keep that at senior reg level of pay, but leave them with a full workload. This is why they're beinging in 'Junior Consultants' and capping/scrapping Consultants' excellence awards - to fob off the public that they're getting more doctors that are better qualified, when actually its just doctors' pay being supressed. After all, if the trust don't call you a consultant on the name badge, you can't say to patients - I'm good enough to be one...honest! you aren't guaranteed anything, even the foundation program has started to become oversubscribed. speciality training is absolutely not guaranteed in any way despite any higher exams you complete. Like I said before, the whole system seems to be bottlenecked at different points and it doesn't seem to be a smooth progression to anything.

Most doctors these days seem to pick up at the very least an Msc on the way, and in certain spec. a phd, perhaps my path is a bit over the top, but for ortho I really don't think it is far from the truth. Everything is getting longer and seems to have more hurdles - even GP training is going to be bumped up to five years soon. People do MScs as junior doctors because they feel that it will help them secure the ST3+!! or consultant post that they want - not because they can't find a job in my experience, they also do BScs and diplomas at this point. I want to do surgery (not neuro) and I am expecting to be doing a phd at some point.

Last edited:
I don't think it is an overestimation in the modern NHS for things like Ortho. Nobody wants to be a staff grade - but you can't exactly waltz into consultancy straight after CCT like you did in the good old days! There are far more senior registrars than there are consultant posts, and it's not as if you can do 8 years of specialty training and then take a consultant post in a different specialty just because there wasn't one available in yours. Becoming a consultant is by no means automatic any more. I know of quite a few people who have their CCT (i.e. are qualified to be consultants) who are working as registrars because there are no consultant posts. The NHS is changing they don't care whether you spent 8 years training to get there, there is no guarantee you will become a consultant and there has been discussion about sub-consultant roles specifically being created in part because of this. What the Government ideally wants is alot of consultant grade doctors working for non consultant wages - ie keep that at senior reg level of pay, but leave them with a full workload. This is why they're beinging in 'Junior Consultants' and capping/scrapping Consultants' excellence awards - to fob off the public that they're getting more doctors that are better qualified, when actually its just doctors' pay being supressed. After all, if the trust don't call you a consultant on the name badge, you can't say to patients - I'm good enough to be one...honest! you aren't guaranteed anything, even the foundation program has started to become oversubscribed. speciality training is absolutely not guaranteed in any way despite any higher exams you complete. Like I said before, the whole system seems to be bottlenecked at different points and it doesn't seem to be a smooth progression to anything.

Most doctors these days seem to pick up at the very least an Msc on the way, and in certain spec. a phd, perhaps my path is a bit over the top, but for ortho I really don't think it is far from the truth. Everything is getting longer and seems to have more hurdles - even GP training is going to be bumped up to five years soon. People do MScs as junior doctors because they feel that it will help them secure the ST3+!! or consultant post that they want - not because they can't find a job in my experience, they also do BScs and diplomas at this point. I want to do surgery (not neuro) and I am expecting to be doing a phd at some point.

I'm not really sure why you are banging on about this, especially on an American board. What year are you? I'm getting the impression you are pretty junior and actually have very limited experience of any of this and have just heard a few bits and bobs and maybe some horror stories.

As for MScs etc, plenty of people do them alongside early jobs, I might, but you made it sound like people take years out to do them which they certainly don't unless they can't get a job. No junior doctor does a BSc! Why would they ever do that instead of a masters? If they wanted one they would do it during med school. People do diplomas because they decide that they can't be bothered with doing a whole MSc. The second year of a part-time MSc is a diploma.

If you are going into anything other than neurosurgery and don't want to be a prof you don't need a PhD. Do one if you want, I know plenty that have, but you don't need one.

And yes your career pathway that you posted is outrageous. It just isn't like that, especially not in ortho!

Interesting discussion. I guess I have no idea what you guys are talking about except that your medical training system seems incredibly complex.

I guess while we're on the subject, would one of you two like to outline the pros and cons of the british vs. the american system. Being members of this forum, I'm sure that you understand the american system quite well (and it's simple enough).

After reading all the posts about neurosurgery, I feel that it isn't that bad. Sure, you have to work the longest hours of any specialty, but you get the highest pay and you still can have a decent life with a career in neurosurgery. You just have to love it and work with it. Although, it makes me wonder if there will be any neurosurgeons in the future with peoples' desire for a great lifestyle.

Interesting discussion. I guess I have no idea what you guys are talking about except that your medical training system seems incredibly complex.

I guess while we're on the subject, would one of you two like to outline the pros and cons of the british vs. the american system. Being members of this forum, I'm sure that you understand the american system quite well (and it's simple enough).

I can give you a few points, what you consider to be pros and cons is up to you!

We do 2 general years straight from med school which involves a mixture of 6 different surgical and medical jobs so we are better generalists. In our system though we are expected to take care of minor things outside of our specialty that you would refer out.

We are expected to do minor procedures that your nurses seem to do, bloods, catheters etc at least at the very junior levels.

Our neurosurgery training is broader. You seem to do some neurology with neurosurgery but we do that, neuro HDU/ITU, some emergency med, some other surgical specialties and neuro-radiology within our neurosurgery training. We have a national neurosurgery curriculum, training will be very similar regardless of where you go. Also we move around a bit. We will spend a few months as the junior of a particular consultant rather than a junior on the service in general. Then after about 6 months you will switch to another consultant. This might be at the same or a different hospital, in most other specialties people move hospitals every 6 months to a year but there aren't that many neurosurgery centres so people tend to just switch to a different consultant within the same hospital.

Our training is longer. 2 general years then 8 years of neurosurgery +/- a few extra years for PhDs, fellowships, not getting a job etc.

We don't apply to a specific hospital. Neurosurgery has a national selection process. The whole thing is run out of one place, somewhere in Yorkshire I think. Those offered jobs put in preferences for where they want to be placed and then that, along with the applicants overall score from application, interviews etc determine where everybody ends up.

We have far less jobs. 18 is the number I have seen though I don't know if this is accurate. That's 18 training posts (residency) each year for the whole of the UK.

We struggle to get jobs at the end of training because there are just so few of them. All the NS attendings I know got several job offers with no problems.

The environment is different. We are quieter and can be snobby, but once you get to a certain level people will outright scream in your face if you mess up. In the US, at least where I have been people are louder, pushy and backstabbing rather than confrontational.

We are more protected at a very junior level in terms of how seniors will treat us. You basically have to be nice to students and those in their first 2 postgrad years here whereas I have seen people being absolutely awful to those of the equivalent level in the US.

We can be on call from home in the 3rd year of specialist training. However, due to the nature of the specialty most actually stay on site at this level. You have to be on site until a more senior level in the US.

The attitude to education seems different. In the US we were told that if your senior doesn't know the answer to something and you do you keep your mouth shut. In the UK you say the answer if you know it so everyone can benefit. You seem to stress research at a more junior level which is great in some ways but in my experience takes time away from other things and basic knowledge suffers for it. Teaching also seems to be stressed more in the UK. If you want to get a specialist job at all some evidence of teaching is expected. I started doing formal teaching back when I was a 4th year student which isn't our final year.

Our juniors can operate without supervision once they reach a certain level. A consultant does not have to be present if something comes in in the middle of the night that they can handle. That obviously gives our consultants a better lifestyle than your attendings. Some Americans seem to find this dodgy but bear in mind the length of our training, our "juniors" can have been neurosurgeons, and certainly doctors for longer than your very junior attendings. Juniors being allowed to operate alone essentially means that as a consultant if there is a simple surgery you hate you never have to do it!

Career progression is more closely supervised in the UK, from what I have seen anyway. In the US I was told that a couple of times a year you get a bit of feedback on your progress but it's not super formal. We have extensive reviews twice a year where you have to present your portfolio to a panel and discuss it. You need to show evidence of teaching, research and practical skill. You have a list of all the surgeries you have performed or assisted on and will have been marked on how competent you are at doing them all and if you don't reach a high enough number or sufficient skill level you may have to repeat a year. There is a bunch of other stuff in the review but you get the gist.

Our hours are shorter but busier. The working day is different too, you start earlier but finish earlier. Our hours are a bit more sociable.

The NHS is awful. If you want a scan, anytime, day or night, you get it, we might, we might not. We usually will but might have to fight for it. Your nurses are far better and more respectful. Here if a nurse doesn't want to do something, they often just wont. Most of them can't/wont take blood, do cannulas, catheters etc. They are also incredibly rude and will bitch to your face even if you are a consultant. Obviously not all are like that but it certainly isn't uncommon.

We are paid slightly more as juniors from what I gather but once fully qualified you will easily earn 4 times what we do.

Our neurosurgeons also seem to have a lot more kids than yours! A lot of our consultants will have 3-5 kids and most juniors seem to have 1 or 2, at least at my hospital which is one of the bigger centres. Your neurosurgeons at most seem to have 1 kid. Again that is just what I saw where I have been.

Last edited:
Can neurosurgeons work in practices limited to spine like ortho spine? Or are such opportunities not so easy to establish? It seems to me like the ortho spine surgeons can have a halfway decent lifestyle. Although, they obviously have no training with actually working with neuro tissues.

Can neurosurgeons work in practices limited to spine like ortho spine? Or are such opportunities not so easy to establish? It seems to me like the ortho spine surgeons can have a halfway decent lifestyle. Although, they obviously have no training with actually working with neuro tissues.

Yes it is possible to drop your intracranial privileges (and thus your cranial malpractice) and do only spine in your practice. It depends on your practice location or set up. The hospital system may require you to take Neurosurgical call (ie. Cranial) so your hands may be tied. There are plenty of private practices out there that only do spine so it is definitely possible.

As far as "working with neuro tissues" I would make sure that is something you actually want to do. >99% (maybe >99.9% but I have no reference) of spine surgeries do not deal making a durotomy and working on the spinal cord. Remember, you can't repair the spinal cord. All you can do is lop off a tumor/AVM and hope you don't paralyze them too bad in the process. These cases will go to large academic centers and will be done by a spine guru who specializes in this. The VAST majority of neurosurgeons will never touch a spinal cord tumor/avm.

Orthopaedics on the other hand offers superior training in complex spinal deformity. So if you are interested in spine you should figure out which one fits what you are most interested in and also decide which specialty you like better OTHER than spine.

I also don't consider ortho or neuro better or worse than each other for spine training, just different. There are some places that combine both ortho and neuro spine in their training/fellowships like Cleveland Clinic.

From my experience (My family is full of Surgeons), everyone is constantly on call, and to me, this all seems really interesting. I aspire to be a Neurosurgeon one day. .My old man is a General surgeon, older bro is a Plastic surg. other older bro is a endocrinologist , my older sis is a peds surgeon, and hopefully i will be the fist Neurosurgeon in my Fam. my twin is into Cardiothoracics. this innfo has been really helpful. my respect goes out to all of you.

Yeah, my bad. I read "somewhere in the middle of 3 years" as "somewhere in the middle of year 3".

I guess its still amazing that every neurosurgeon is meant to get a PhD. Seems like a huge waste of time, but at least its only 3 years.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that our clinical "MD" degree is equivalent to their "PhD" and our research "PhD" degree is their "MD" degree.

(At least in Germany, as far as I know.)

Correct me if I am wrong, but I do believe that our clinical "MD" degree is equivalent to their "PhD" and our research "PhD" degree is their "MD" degree.

(At least in Germany, as far as I know.)

You mean your med school MD? Or do you have something different also called that?

In med school we get MBChB, MBBS or another similar sounding combination - they all mean the exact same thing.

We have an MD here which is like a PhD but 2 years instead of 3.

question here and i figure it would be fitting to post in this thread as it is relevant to thread title. correct me if i am wrong but the general consensus seems to be that a NS works roughly 70-80hrs/week? i guess i am looking at this from a different perspective but doesn't that still give you time to have a "life" outside? my gf works as a process engineer where sometimes they work 12hr/day for 6-7 days/week...and we still have time to enjoy each others company from that. i guess my question how bad really can it get? the only problem i see are those night calls...

Neuro is run-through.

There is no such thing as CT3, 4 etc. The C means core! Some ACCS trainees call themselves CT2b in the 3rd core year but after 2 it is ST! Most people also don't do multiple staff grade jobs or really any. Staff grades are generally taken by those that were never on a training scheme.

Last edited: