How bad is withdrawing a class???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jobe

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
How bad is withdrawing from a class?
I am applying for next cycle (June 2010).. and I feel like I am going to get C for my Genetics Lab course which is 3 credited course.

I currently have about 3.454 GPA...
I am not doing very well overall this semester... I think I will probably end up with 1A, 1A- and 3B's and 1C.. (Genetics Lab) for this semester.

If I get a C for genetics lab, my GPA goes down to about 3.400....
If I withdraw from genetics Lab, my GPA will only go down to about 3.430.
What should I do??

should I withdraw it???

Is Withdrawing worse or better than GPA going down from 3.430 to 3.400?

Thanks everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

I was in a similar position. I took a W in a class that I had a C in because it would bring my GPA down too much.

My advisor told me that one W is better than a low grade bringing down your GPA, especially when you're on the "lower" end like you are (and like I was). Just don't make it a habit. My advisor also told me that I should make sure to do well the following semester so that it doesn't look like a downward trend and to show that the W was just a one-time issue.

So that's just my experience and the advice I received when I was in your situation.

Alot of people on this forum would recommend withdrawing than getting an F in a class and damaging your gpa, but you might get a C. I'm not sure, speak to your prof. & isnt too late to withdraw?

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree with angelnyc, it's too late to withdraw for my school anyway.
one withdrawal shouldn't be too bad but two withdrawals is a no-no.

Also I think it might depend on when you withdraw--as a freshman, sophomore, or senior? If you are a freshman it's more excusable I'd think, just because you've only been in college for a little while, whereas as a senior, you should have already known your limits, and such.

yea...
thanks guys

it is too late for me to withdraw now...

Well.. this paper for my genetics Lab was worth 50% of the course grade.. and I got a 77 on it..

So, I think I have a chance to raise my GPA up to B-... I am going to talk to my professor if I can raise my paper grade... or give me like an extra assignment or do a rewrite for my paper...

Can you guys me give me any good excuses so I can get at least a few more credit on this paper??

thanks!