How badly does my MCat hurt my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedHopeful21

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
So i took the January 10th MCat and i became very disappointed in myself.
I took it in September also, got a 26 (VR6,PS11,BS9), and again in January, i got a 27 (VR8,PS10,BS9). On my practice exams i was getting 30/31 consistently. I am considering DO but i am leaning towards MD, if i can get in.

Outside of my MCat i have a decent application. I am currently a junior and my cumulative GPA is a 3.75 but if you disregard my horrible freshman year(came from a horrible high school) i have a GPA of 3.90 as a chemistry major (ACS certified), Biology minor. I also have 1 publication in the chemistry field which i am a key contributor of and another should be coming before my application. I am the President of a successful organization on campus and on the E-board of 4 others. I also work as a TA and as an orientation leader. I have good relationships with many of my professors so my letters of rec should be good. As part of my pre-med fraternity, i have logged many volunteer opportunities and shadowed multiple doctors. I come from a poor area/family and born in a foreign country. I'm very approachable so i think my interviews should go fine.

All this said, my point is to ask how badly does my MCat hurt my application? From my grades in my science courses they can clearly tell that i understand science. I would feel like a good canidate if my MCat score wasn't so low. Thank you everyone and good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

I know a guy who got in with a 3.65/27 but granted he was a very outgoing frat/d2 athlete and had a ton of EC's.

I honestly think that you have a shot. I know a guy who got a 26 on his MCAT, average GPA and extracurricular, and he managed to get 3 or 4 interviews. So with a 27, I don't think you still have a chance. And there is always the new MCAT to take if you're not satisfied with your score.