how can i be a war doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JasonGom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fourth year pre-med here (already took MCAT preparing to apply to med schools - and HPSP)

I really don't know too much about military medicine (just been sifting through the forum a few days)

But I always wanted to practice medicine in an actual war. How can I do this?

How close can I actually get to a battlefield?

(Sorry if I seem very ignorant, just trying to see if I can meld my two dreams of becoming a soldier and doctor)

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to get close to the battlefield, cancel your med school app and enlist as a 68W. You will receive EMS level training, and after some experience you can perhaps go for paramedic training.

what about being assigned to a base with a hospital in the middle east?

Here, one of the forum's veterans actually answered your question already 4 years ago when you basically asked the same question:

Sorry to bust your dream, but you will NOT serve on the front line with a scalpel or bandages or anything else as a physician. The military pays big bucks for doctors and doesn't want to give up such a precious commodity by putting them in harm's way. You'll stay put at a hospital on base while the real commandos get to fight on the front line. If you're gung-ho about seeing war, enlist in the military now. You can always come back to medical school later...

I really don't know too much about military medicine (just been sifting through the forum a few days)

A few days is hardly enough. You owe it to yourself to find out as much about military medicine as possible. All the answers are on this sub-forum including the question about being deployed to a combat zone. Just go and find it. There is a search bar, use it. You have problems with all the abbreviations being used, use google.

Reactions: 1 user
Be the best an become a Ranger Battalion Surgeon. Only three spots in Regimen but our surgeons on multiple occasion went out on missions. On one occasion the surgeon had to crack the chest of one of the wounded Rangers inside the medical Striker, the Soldier survived. A pretty amazing and unique event, but most of the time you just treat sick call and small ailments back on base. Good Luck!

Be the best an become a Ranger Battalion Surgeon. Only three spots in Regimen but our surgeons on multiple occasion went out on missions. On one occasion the surgeon had to crack the chest of one of the wounded Rangers inside the medical Striker, the Soldier survived. A pretty amazing and unique event, but most of the time you just treat sick call and small ailments back on base. Good Luck!

Interesting! Did your battalion surgeons go through RASP?

Sending the doc on the wrong side of the fence is a bad idea. They won't fight with the same proficiency as someone that does it for a living and if they get hurt there is a significantly smaller population of non-hurt health care providers to fix them up (i.e. The only surgeon gets shot). It may seem like team building to someone but it's bad asset allocation

Reactions: 1 users
Become a PA And volunteer to forward deploy to a role 1 bas in some sandbox

Members don't see this ad :)
Fourth year pre-med here (already took MCAT preparing to apply to med schools - and HPSP)

(Sorry if I seem very ignorant, just trying to see if I can meld my two dreams of becoming a soldier and doctor)

Vote for Hillary Clinton. That'll keep the wars going.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Join the Ukranian Army. They don't care if you're a real doctor or just have a torn piece of cardboard that says so, AND you get to be in a war.

Reactions: 4 users
this has the makings of an epic thread.

Here, one of the forum's veterans actually answered your question already 4 years ago when you basically asked the same question:

A few days is hardly enough. You owe it to yourself to find out as much about military medicine as possible. All the answers are on this sub-forum including the question about being deployed to a combat zone. Just go and find it. There is a search bar, use it. You have problems with all the abbreviations being used, use google.

Wow. smh. When I went to your link I expected a good read (which it was) but to realize that I posed this! Goodness I guess my interests haven't changed after four years of college.

Anyway this just seals my fate then. I really have to check out what all this military medicine is about personally.

Anyway thank every veteran that took the time to reply to this. Lol I'm such a fool.

So deployments is the only time I would get to work in a "hot zone"?

Yeah, you only get to be "in the $#!T" during deployments. As a general rule, the US military tries not to permanently station people in active war zones. Although technically Korea is a war zone, but I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that isn't what you're interested in. I would suggest:
1. reading the thread here as completely as possible
2. stop watching so much TV.
3. if you haven't reconsidered dermatology yet, and you really want to frag charlie, you probalby should reconsider. don't get me wrong, dermatologists tend to be some of the most cruel, meat-eating, bad-ass MFs I know when it comes to kicking ass - psycho killers, the lot of them - but the military doesn't tend to put them on the hunt - most likely because they're just too unpredictable.
4. as mentioned above, consider being a medic, corpsman, PA

For most docs, when you are in garrison you will be doing day-to-day doc stuff, namely seeing sick call, working in hospitals, doing paperwork, you know, being a physician. Deployments can get you closer to more dangerous activities, but heed the advice of those above: Docs for the most part are in the rear, and they don't go outside the wire.

"Private Joker is silly and ignorant, but he's got guts. And guts is enough. "
-Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

I like how you put quotes around "hot zone" like that's actually a term that's used.

in his defense, there were some people sent over to address the ebola outbreak. maybe that's what he was talking about... ;)

Vote for Hillary Clinton. That'll keep the wars going.

looks like the internet has started to transition from "it's obama's fault" to "hillary will be worse" already. it's a variation of godwin's law i think.

to the OP-- i think you need to re-evaluate why you have this need to be on a battlefield. maybe that will help.

--your friendly neighborhood living the dichotomy caveman

At the risk of feeding the trolls... Can you be more specific about what it means to you to become a soldier and doctor?

There are opportunities available, but like all opportunities there is competition and selection is dependent on your abilities to perform well at soldiering and at doctoring. Combat medics (EMT's) and physician assistants may be boots on the ground during combat, whereas docs can be close to the battlefield but are (usually, w/e of specially trained soldier-doctors) stationed farther away from firefights, protected within established bases with resources to apply their professional skills.

Sending the doc on the wrong side of the fence is a bad idea. They won't fight with the same proficiency as someone that does it for a living and if they get hurt there is a significantly smaller population of non-hurt health care providers to fix them up (i.e. The only surgeon gets shot). It may seem like team building to someone but it's bad asset allocation

He went on missions just like the Regimental CSM, Chaplain or Commander went out the wire to assess and show the guys that they are not just desk junkies. The platoons have their medics and leadership, the extra personal is just for assessment. We hated having them in our missions bc at times you have to tell them what to do or not to do. Additionally we had MEDEVAC on standby etc... But on that occasion we were lucky that the surgeon was with them because he was able to perform a procedure that our medics could have never done.
I was just pointing out that these physicians are the ones closer to combat unless you volunteer to serve in a combat zone with the Peace Corp or a similar organization.

Note: When I say surgeon I refer to his position not necessarily his specialty. Most of the physician are trained in FM/IM and then trauma. They attend Ranger School and RASP 2. They most maintain physical and marksmanship standards etc...

At the risk of feeding the trolls... Can you be more specific about what it means to you to become a soldier and doctor?

Also replying to homunculus

I feel that military medicine is such a unique opportunity to do what civilian physicians can not do. If I wanted to work in a normal hospital and treat civilian patients, I would rather go the civilian route (which I feel is superior for that).

However I want to do something atypical, aka have an adventure.

Maybe ten years from now I'll lose this want of "adventure" but really that's my aspiration in wanting to put a "soldier" in front of "doctor". And I believe my wants are not solely limited to the medical field. This is why I want to build myself up to be experienced in all sorts of stuff.

I was talking with the doctor I'm shadowing currently and he was talking about the increasing specialization even within specialties. For example some doctors in his cardiac-thoracic surgery department only do aortic arch repairs without touching any valve replacements etc. I really do not like the direction that medicine is currently heading towards. I'm hoping that the military experience will really make me an all around crazy doctor.

Wow. smh. When I went to your link I expected a good read (which it was) but to realize that I posed this! Goodness I guess my interests haven't changed after four years of college.

Anyway this just seals my fate then. I really have to check out what all this military medicine is about personally.

Anyway thank every veteran that took the time to reply to this. Lol I'm such a fool.

So deployments is the only time I would get to work in a "hot zone"?

As all the military docs here are replying with, you have a rather...uh...romanticized?...view of what a military physician does. Definitely go and scour this sub-forum (It took me the better part of a year lurking before I had a good idea of what happens). One of the posters above mentioned the movie M*A*S*H. Watch it. As far as movies go, this one seemed to hit a few good points. War sucks, Hot Lips (even more relevant now then ever for the Army), incompetence, boredom are some themes I can think off the top of my head.

Also, try to find any veterans around your area and shadow or talk to them. They try to hide themselves but they can be found and when they start going about the military they really talk for a long time haha. This was how I found out an attending I shadowed was sent to Diego Garcia for 2 years. Go look that place up on google maps and then zoom out, zoom out a lot. Nowadays I wondered if he pissed off someone important...I digress.

Plenty of people enter medicine without ever really understanding it, but they always have the option of dropping out. You can't do that with the military. If you get the "What have I done???!" moment it's too late and if you try to quit Uncle Sam can throw you into Fort Leavenworth and utterly destroy your hopes of ever finding a job. You owe it to yourself to find out as much as possible before signing your life away to our country.

Maybe ten years from now I'll lose this want of "adventure" but really that's my aspiration in wanting to put a "soldier" in front of "doctor". And I believe my wants are not solely limited to the medical field. This is why I want to build myself up to be experienced in all sorts of stuff.

Read this thread. Some great answers. More detailed than what was being said here but the theme remains the same. You want to be a soldier doctor then be a soldier first then be a doctor.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/help.1066413/#post-15141356

I feel that military medicine is such a unique opportunity to do what civilian physicians can not do. If I wanted to work in a normal hospital and treat civilian patients, I would rather go the civilian route (which I feel is superior for that).

I was talking with the doctor I'm shadowing currently and he was talking about the increasing specialization even within specialties. For example some doctors in his cardiac-thoracic surgery department only do aortic arch repairs without touching any valve replacements etc. I really do not like the direction that medicine is currently heading towards. I'm hoping that the military experience will really make me an all around crazy doctor.

This idea you have is a movie or a moderately priced paperback book, not real life. I'm not trying to be a dick, but if you sign a military contract thinking this is what you're going to get you are going to be a very unhappy person. Ultimately, the thread here is built for advice - and bitching, don't forget bitching - but also advice, and the advice here is that you re-evaluate your plan and read more of the threads here.

Most deployed surgeons spend most of their time sitting on their backsides waiting for something to happen. Triage and trauma does happen, but it is not what fills most of your time. When you're not deployed, I promise you that your life is no more exciting (and likely less so) than most civilians. I'm bored as hell right now, which is why I'm always on this GD thread. While there are larger military medical facilities out there, most of the places you will end up (statistically) are small community hospitals where nothing exciting happens.

If you want to be a soldier first, as mentioned, do that. Then be a doctor. Being a doctor who is a soldier first is impractical at best and possibly unethical. You don't have to agree with that statement for it to be true to most of your colleagues with whom you must interact. All that being said, if you want to go into operational medicine, you get to be a soldier who can make people call him "Dr.," but who in most cases doesn't actually do any doctoring.

The idea that you absolutely must sub-sub-subspecialize is also untrue. If you feel that you must live in NYC and while there you must do surgery "X", then yes it helps to do nothing but surgery "X" and to be very well known for doing it. This is, in most cases, a marketing gimmick rather than a result of patient outcomes (with certain exceptions). Outside of scenarios like that, you have no obligation to narrow your scope of practice that much (whithin reason).

Reactions: 2 users
If you really feel the need to be in the action...you should probably be a Medic or Corpsman. But do so realizing that even STILL you won't always be around the action. Medics and corpsman are also needed stateside...and their jobs often suck. Do you like changing bedpans? In the hospital, corpsman/medics are responsible for doing all of the dirty work...essentially you are a nurses bitch.

I'm hoping that the military experience will really make me an all around crazy doctor.

Medical School will be all-consuming. Focus on learning to be the best physician you can be. Choose a specialty that motivates you to stay excited about your work. Don't get fat, try to keep up with your exercise - look up APFT tables to get an idea of what a "300" looks like for your age bracket. If you fall in love with Emergency Medicine or Family Medicine that may give you a leg up on taking operational assignments that won't confine you to a surgical team at a Role II or III facility.

During residency, learn about what operational medicine looks like. The bottom line is that you need to be prepared to take advantage of operational opportunities.

After Residency, it will come down somewhat to luck: will you be assigned to Units who appreciate your desires and skills and support your professional goals? Will your Unit have an opportunity to deploy during the time you're assigned to it? If you prove yourself during a deployment as a Brigade Surgeon or in another operational assignment, your Unit may support recommendations for assignments with Special Forces. This will put you on a track to do "crazy adventure stuff." Unfortunately, you have an equal chance to get assigned to a dysfunctional Unit who does not appreciate your skills and this will make it more discouraging to pursue your dreams. You must maintain peak physical fitness and push hard for opportunities to earn your EFMB, Air Assault, or Airborne qualifications. Expert marksmanship will be expected as well. This is difficult to do during residency because of the demands of being on call and the rigors of your training.

It also comes down to a high level of Sodlier proficiency: Will your performance as a Soldier justify your request for "crazy adventure stuff" or will you simply not make the cut. Can you excel at land navigation, run 2 miles in 13 minutes, knock out pull-ups, hit a target with your weapon, etc.? Do you have the charisma to manage infantry commanders that have no understanding of the 7 years of training you put in as a doctor?

Many dreams have been crushed by bitter leaders who refuse to support the pipe dreams of young soldiers and doctors. Your dreams are not completely irrational but it is a challenging career path that you often cannot control.

Interested in what the military has to offer you without joining? Get to know your local VA hospital.

All future wanna be rambo docs realize as a doctor you job is to actually be the doctor and admister medical care.

The criteria to be the Ranger Doc mentioned above requires being board certified in a specialty, most people do IM/FM/ER. A physician is free to pursue this and ranger units do actively try to recruit physicians to these positions if you seek them out. It is a battalion surgeon position like most others. You also must meet all of the standard marksmanship, APFT, and attend all the required schools that go along with that avenue.

Some docs want to avoid these operational positions at all costs because your actual medical skills will deteriorate because you don't actually see sick people. Instead you see the healthiest group (ranger and SF) in the military. One doc told me it felt like it took almost a year of working in his specialty before he finally felt completely comfortable since what you are doing is such a narrow breath of your actual medical training. A "career" in the Ranger/SF as a doc typically leads to being the final medical approval authority for the schools and creating/updating policies for conditions that are disqualifying and approving waivers for an individual's disqualification.

End of the day with a ranger unit you will be their unit's physician and you will oversee the unit PA, the unit medics, and regular conversations with unit commander about medical specifics. You'll also be in charge of tracking everyone's medical credentials and training is up-to-date. Could you go out on a patrol or mission, of course. Anything is possible. Are you going to be the lead guy kicking down a door? Absolutely not. You will be near by to render medical care. Typically any care that is needed will be trauma related. Anything you do that jeopardizes your ability to take care of wounded is an absolute waste of your abilities. You could be apart of a regular stryker brigade and go on a patrol just as easily as well. You can also join an airborne unit and participate in jumps just as easily. In my very humble opinion through the Army the best way to do operational time would be through aviation. As a flight doc you could be with the night stalkers but again preferred to have a residency trained physician. Other aviation units will take regular GMOs. As a flight doc at least you could participate in MEDEVAC missions if your commander allows it and you wanted to do that. The main role in any group or branch would still be administering actual medical care, not walking around with an M4 at the ready.

JasonGom- since you mentioned you want to have an "adventure" you best opportunity will not be through the military as a doctor. As I fill out my paperwork indicating I am not incompetent and am fully capable of driving my car beyond 250 miles from my local base whenever I want to, complete artificial video game SERE training for traveling to Mexico, watching endless power points on the importance of not doing drugs or driving while intoxicated, or wearing a brightly colored jersey when I ride my motorcycle or PT belt if I want to cross the street in PT gear, I think it is safe to say the military has become so risk adverse it is sort of embarrassing.

If you want to have an adventure while doing medical things I would recommend doing doctors without boarders in a crazy place. You are much more likely to have a more powerful medical impact for that given area with doctors without boarders then being stationed in a war zone by the military. There are numerous organizations beyond doctors without borders that a person could pursue once residency trained. One of the best ones would be performing a vaccination program in a remote area. There is a doc stationed at Antarctica at all times I believe. You could also be a cruise ship doc which would be interesting because ultimately your one of the main people available to take care of whatever from a laceration received from falling off a scooter or a person having an MI or stroke, unlikely to have any trauma. Trauma though is mostly cookie cutter algorithms anyways and typically requires surgery regardless of where you are. Some ER residency programs do allow a rotation in another country. One of my friends spent time in Rio. He spent time working in the worse of the worse conditions as well as hospitals equal to any US city, spent time with their lifeguard medical system flying over the beach daily scooping people out of the sea, and a SWAT raid on a drug dealer. He sat in an ambulance near by with the other local SWAT doc waiting for possible trauma.

If you desire military and being "rambo doctor" is goal I recommend you go as a PJ, Corpsman, SF medic, or become a PA.

To be honest it doesn't sound like you know what you want in regards to career, etc. it frankly sounds like you're approaching your "quarter life crisis." If this is the case I'd recommend just saving up a few thousand and traveling the world. Don't commit yourself to medicine or the military, as these are commitments that are difficult to back out of. But if you really want to go to war then enlist and get them to put an option for 18x in your contract, and if you pass then shoot for medic. Or just go 68w. Either way by the time your done with training the ISIS conflict will be in full swing and you'll be deployed so fast it'll make your head spin. And those guys don't seem like they pull any punches...

And if you do make it to be a military doctor, it really takes work to get in the "****." Im in a pre deployment class right now and they explicitly said that in our class of ~30, one of us would have busy role 1 sites with lots of trauma. The rest would be sitting around the fob doing fobbit things like paperwork and writing up profiles

If you really want to practice in a "war zone" and take care of patients with severe traumatic injuries, I'd skip the military altogether.

Unfortunately you missed OIF/OEF, and even if you were asking 10yrs ago, as others have said it can be really hit or miss with deployments. Most deployed docs rarely if ever see any significant action.

My advice: Go do an emergency medicine or general surgery residency in New Orleans or Detroit.

NOLA is one of the few places left that still sees more penetrating than blunt trauma and its not uncommon to see as many as 5+ gun shots/stabbings on a 12 hour shift. Its also where the Navy SEALs go for their medical training.

You'll likely see more action there during intern year then most military docs see during their whole career.

If you don't mind traveling and really want to practice in a war zone there's always Bara in South Africa as well:

http://www.medsurgemergencies.co.uk...ective-in-trauma-resus-and-pre-hospital-care/

All future wanna be rambo docs realize as a doctor you job is to actually be the doctor and admister medical care.

JasonGom- since you mentioned you want to have an "adventure" you best opportunity will not be through the military as a doctor. As I fill out my paperwork indicating I am not incompetent and am fully capable of driving my car beyond 250 miles from my local base whenever I want to, complete artificial video game SERE training for traveling to Mexico, watching endless power points on the importance of not doing drugs or driving while intoxicated, or wearing a brightly colored jersey when I ride my motorcycle or PT belt if I want to cross the street in PT gear, I think it is safe to say the military has become so risk adverse it is sort of embarrassing.

Thank you for the insight. I guess I got so excited at the prospect of going into the military as a doctor and do all those crazy stuff that I forgot to mind reality.

I think everyone's insight was really helpful.

But I want to know why you guys got into military medicine in the first place (did you know about all that you know now)? It seems like everyone is dissuading me (not just this thread but other threads i came across).

I guess a big part of me want to take advantage of that scholarship, do crazy military stuff, and still come out as the best doctor i can be. I know other forums out there have there answers but isn't not having any debt and having stipend throughout med school pretty sweet? My parents don't have the means to support my expensive medical school bills so the military option sounded very sweet. The bonus being I get to the crazy military stuff...which seems to be delusional now with everyone's input

And if you do make it to be a military doctor, it really takes work to get in the "****." Im in a pre deployment class right now and they explicitly said that in our class of ~30, one of us would have busy role 1 sites with lots of trauma. The rest would be sitting around the fob doing fobbit things like paperwork and writing up profiles

That's so crazy. I saw a documentary (BBC one) about a base in Afghanistan and the hospital there. After seeing that I was like "thats what I want to do!" How likely is it to end up doing that kind of stuff?

Inner city hospitals and organizations like Doctors Without Borders will provide more action than the vast majority of military careers. Working part-time and spending your free time travelling will provide more adventure than the vast majority of military careers...

I guess a big part of me want to take advantage of that scholarship, do crazy military stuff, and still come out as the best doctor i can be.
The scholarship is there, but comes at a high cost and in many-to-most cases does not save money compared to just paying back the loans. The opportunity to do "crazy military stuff" is extremely limited and offset by "mind-numbingly boring military stuff" that you would not have to do as a civilian. And military residencies will typically not make you the best doctor you can be. Most of the programs are comparable to mediocre civilian counterpart programs at best.

There are some good reasons to join, but I don't see them from you here. Caveat emptor...

That's so crazy. I saw a documentary (BBC one) about a base in Afghanistan and the hospital there. After seeing that I was like "thats what I want to do!" How likely is it to end up doing that kind of stuff?

I spent 19 months in Afghanistan over two tours functioning as a glorified EMT in the back of MEDEVAC birds on point of injury missions during the "surge" in OEF X-XI. I also flew probably every third night-sometimes for a week at a stretch- on direct support missions with Rangers and SF, again carrying an aid bag as a CASEVAC asset.

My experience was not typical, not even close. My first CO was kind of a nut who didn't understand the proper role of a doctor. I believe my asshat BDE surgeon might have also wanted me dead (useless RAM pos). By the time I realized that this wasn't a great idea I had grown so close to my aircrew and the guys we supported through shared danger and experience that I couldn't sleep at night if they were on a mission without me. At first the adrenaline, etc was also interesting. I earned the CMB which is not something that a lot of Physicians have.

Again, my experience was not at all typical, but it was my own.

- Ex 61N

I spent 19 months in Afghanistan over two tours functioning as a glorified EMT in the back of MEDEVAC birds on point of injury missions during the "surge" in OEF X-XI. I also flew probably every third night-sometimes for a week at a stretch- on direct support missions with Rangers and SF, again carrying an aid bag as a CASEVAC asset.

My experience was not typical, not even close. My first CO was kind of a nut who didn't understand the proper role of a doctor. I believe my asshat BDE surgeon might have also wanted me dead (useless RAM pos). By the time I realized that this wasn't a great idea I had grown so close to my aircrew and the guys we supported through shared danger and experience that I couldn't sleep at night if they were on a mission without me. At first the adrenaline, etc was also interesting. I earned the CMB which is not something that a lot of Physicians have.

- Ex 61N

Wow that sounds like an amazing experience. I just assumed that "if I wanted it I could have it". Everything from what I learned seems to be that it is the luck of the draw. But thanks for the insight.

Wow that sounds like an amazing experience. I just assumed that "if I wanted it I could have it". Everything from what I learned seems to be that it is the luck of the draw. But thanks for the insight.

Having read all of your posts I have a hard time believing you are serious about serving in the military as a physician. Not many would read 61November's description of his experience and think of it as "amazing". Oops, I just fed the troll.

- Ex 61N

I know you probably shouldn't have been put on that position, but THANK YOU! As a Ranger JTAC I know having a doctor on point-of-injury saved many of my buddies when I requested CASEVAC.

I know you probably shouldn't have been put on that position, but THANK YOU! As a Ranger JTAC I know having a doctor on point-of-injury saved many of my buddies when I requested CASEVAC.

Evidence? Seriously. That's how you should be thinking now if this is your chosen profession. Lots of people feel similarly about their cardiologist after their 10th stent but...how do they know it helped?

It may have looked sexy but what if waiting for one more guy before launching added 3 min? Is that worth the trade? It's hard to study but line officers and bad doctors are distracted by shiny objects. Be skeptical about "better."

This is a common perception from the infantry and spec war community. It is also incorrect. Nothing we do in the field is any different than what a trained corpsman does. ATLS dies not require an advanced degree.

Brother I understand, but I was referring to specific situations. For example, our BN Surgeon went on a mission in the medical Striker, and one of the soldiers got blown-up by a pressure plate IED. He would have died if we didn't have the surgeon with us. Not taking anything from my fellow medics and corpsman (I served 5 yrs as one) but the surgeon cracked the Soldiers chest and pumped the heart all the way to the " cash ." etc... Maybe some medics are massaging hearts in the field, but I have never heard any stories because is out of their scope of care.

Once again, I agree that the place of a physician is not in the front lines, but having their advance degree and training in worst-case scenario could be exponentially beneficial for an injured Soldier.