How can I be sure I want this life?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelso

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm having a few problems with my life path, and feel that posting here could help me, and maybe provide me with some clarity. My father is an MD (like his father) and a very successful one too. I overheard a conversation a few years ago, and "seven figure salary" was mentioned, so it really makes this all the more difficult for me.

He wants me to become an MD, like him, and set myself up for life - security/money/educated etc. I have a great academic record, and really the issue here is not can I become an MD (he has great pull, and has virtually guaranteed he can "help" me into school) but is it what *I* really want.

My other option is to become a tattoo artist. I have always loved artistic expression, and feel this is where my interest is. I have *carefully* brought the issue up with both of my parents, and they don't agree with my other choice. The cons (in their view) vary from the reasonable (it's not a secure field of employment/it has poor pay) to the poor (it's a biker/druggie/loser career choice).

I'm really torn - I love the satisfaction of creating and feel alive when I'm drawing, but I also want to become an MD. I don't have an extended mesh of people I can draw from, so this venue seems perfect. Hopefully there are some more unconventional people who have been on the same path.

Wanting some feedback -

Sleepless in Seattle.

:) (I'm not actually there, and this is 100% serious, but I am going in circles and it made me smile.)

Members don't see this ad.

Call me crazy here, but couldn't you do something more "respectable" involving art?

And no, I don't think there's anything wrong with being a tattoo artist, but I can see why somebody's parents might.

But it sounds to me like the only reason why you want to be an MD is because of your parents. If this is the case, do NOT go down the path of medicine. You will make so many sacrifices in your life, and why put yourself through so much if you don't enjoy it?

If you are actually interested in the field of medicine, plastic reconstructive surgery requires a lot of creativity and artistic talent. Many art majors who are premed go on to become plastic surgeons. Just a thought.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My guess is that you're going to find it very difficult to force yourself through medical school and residency if it isn't something you're doing for yourself. Have you done any shadowing or worked in a hospital or anything like that? Is there any concrete examples you can think of from your past when something happened and you went, "Yeah, it really would be fulfilling to be a doctor?" I'm getting the sense from your post that your only real motivation is coming from your parents.

Also understand that while your dad may be able to help you into medical school (I'm skeptical about this, but I'll take your word for it for now), he won't be able to get you a career. So the possibility of a 'seven figure salary' shouldn't be a factor in your decision.

Who says you can't do both? No one is going to force you to put down your paintbrush once you turn into an MD. I love painting, and it's going to be one thing that I will never give up. Granted, I might postpone it during med school and residency, but who says you need to give it all up?

Of course, at the end of the day, what will make you happier?

You say in your post that you would like to be a doctor, but would RATHER be a tattoo artist.

My advice to you as a 37 yr old man trying to play catch up in life because I did what I "wanted" to do would be to go to med school as long as it is something you would actually like to do. If the idea of being a doctor is abhorrent to you, then don't do it. You can always go and be a tattoo artist after you are done becoming a doctor. When you are tired of struggling to make ends meet and put a roof over your family's head and food on the table, you can go back to being a doctor.

The bottom line, as far as I am concerned, is that it is far easier to drop what you are doing and be a tattoo artist than it is to drop what you are doing to become a doctor. Heck, after a few years of practice you could afford to open your very own tattoo studio. Another thing to think about is that as a Dr., you could also do laser removal in the same shop!

That's just my 2 cents, good luck!

Who says you can't do both? No one is going to force you to put down your paintbrush once you turn into an MD. I love painting, and it's going to be one thing that I will never give up. Granted, I might postpone it during med school and residency, but who says you need to give it all up?

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: Agree I'd do both.

I agree with ^

There is no need to give up anything. You can become an MD and still tattoo. I agree with your parents but at the same time you need to want to also become an MD. I think others have said that medicine in itself is a very creative art (i.e. surgery, especially plastic surgery), so you can still maintain both aspects of your life.

You seem to have more passion in aesthetic art, and if that's true... I would explore what else may allow to to explore that interest beyond tattooing...THEN think about medicine. Medical school should never be a default choice.

Become a pediatrician and give away rub-on tattoos to the good little boys and girls.
Simple as that.

Are you good enough to make a living tattooing?

Are you capable of meeting the qualifications for med school?

There is no reason why you can go to med school and tattoo as a hobby.

I think you should take your parents advice. Many of those social stereotypes exist for a reason (even though ppl may not know exactly why), and they are more or less accurate. Bikers, druggies, etc often have more problems than the general population. By associating with them more often, you are increasing the probability you will have at least some of the same problems or, if you dont, never become popular to sell your art in that group. There are other problems that you can probably think of.

I suggest you get an MD and push to do something art-related. For example, artistic expression of the mentally/neurologically ill (e.g., http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=4384015941059041392#), drawing for textbooks. Also, it may be a stretch, but using your hands and performing flawless surgery or a patient interview can be an art.

If not an MD, become a professional in something else that is respected (again, "respected" means it generally has a lot of perks even though the lay ppl may not know exactly what). Examples: architecture, graphics computer scientist

I think there would be some way you could do both.. I know it may not seem very "traditional" but I don't see why not. Eventually you could just work as a part time MD and one day a week at a shop, maybe?

On a side note.. I love my tattoo(s). I think that if an MD did them I would feel even more "safe" getting them done. Although.. most of the artist who work on me have visible tattoos.. and I don't think this is very business-like. All mine are "hidden".. well.. in scrubs at least ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
You can do both, as drumming is my first love. It seems to me just by the way you talked about art in a couple of sentences that artistic expression is your passion. Don't be worried about how much money you're going to make as much as enjoying your life. It's tough to feel as if you're going to disappoint your parents, I know. Remember that this is your experience however and in the end it's you who suffers if you don't go after your dreams.

Hi,

I'm having a few problems with my life path, and feel that posting here could help me, and maybe provide me with some clarity. My father is an MD (like his father) and a very successful one too. I overheard a conversation a few years ago, and "seven figure salary" was mentioned, so it really makes this all the more difficult for me.

He wants me to become an MD, like him, and set myself up for life - security/money/educated etc. I have a great academic record, and really the issue here is not can I become an MD (he has great pull, and has virtually guaranteed he can "help" me into school) but is it what *I* really want.

My other option is to become a tattoo artist. I have always loved artistic expression, and feel this is where my interest is. I have *carefully* brought the issue up with both of my parents, and they don't agree with my other choice. The cons (in their view) vary from the reasonable (it's not a secure field of employment/it has poor pay) to the poor (it's a biker/druggie/loser career choice).

I'm really torn - I love the satisfaction of creating and feel alive when I'm drawing, but I also want to become an MD. I don't have an extended mesh of people I can draw from, so this venue seems perfect. Hopefully there are some more unconventional people who have been on the same path.

Wanting some feedback -

Sleepless in Seattle.

:) (I'm not actually there, and this is 100% serious, but I am going in circles and it made me smile.)

tatoo artist = artistic expression? i thought people pay u to have u tatoo on them w/e they tell u to and the style they want to? so technically there ist as much room for self expression rly if thats so.

eh i say follow it for a few years, when u realized it doest pay for much ull prob change ur heart like almost every body else lol.

bye bye.

I agree with cleavername. It's a nice hobby, but I don't think it's good enough to support a family and live comfortably, which is what you'll find is more important later on. I think you should strongly consider dentistry. There is a lot of room for aesthetic creativity there. You can also get an MD within dentistry if you decide to do OMFS.

Plenty of people tattoo and do well for themselves. Do they make as much money as doctors? Certainly not, but I'm willing to bet they are just as content with their life path. And there is a lot of expression in in tattooing. While you may not be able to pick what people want on their bodies, everyone has their own specific style of tattoo; that's why some artists are so highly sought after.

Just get on LA Ink and have an affair with someone who is married to a movie star. Then you're set.

My wife is currently in school for her 2nd degree because she did what her parents wanted her to, worked in the field for three years, realized she couldn't stand it, and went back to do what she wanted to do in the first place. Respect your parents, but do what you want to. You're the one who has to DO it for 8-12 hours/day. Not them.

if your parents are making 7 figures, you're far more comfortable and used to that lifestyle than you probably realize. much like premeds shadow doctors, I think you need to go shadow a few tattoo artists, see what their life is like, get the whole picture, get to know their clintele.

I get the notion of not doing something for other people, and needing that internal drive for medicine, but there's a whole lot of people who went through college studying the things they were interested in who are now living in their parents basement doing something they don't enjoy at all because there aren't a whole lot of jobs in that thing that interested them so much.

sounds like your parents are stuffy and uptight therefore you probably never had a life anyways ........ just give it away to medicine and you my friend will be sure to make it a "foool cuurrcclleeee"

Go volunteer in a hospital...preferably the ER, that should make the decision for you.