How can I spin this as volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greenroses

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My parents founded a local house of worship (church, temple, mosque, etc. - I prefer not to be specific but it's one of those).

I don't have much in the way of any non-medical volunteering so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to consider this as volunteering? My mom told me to go every week and help clean and serve food and to count them as volunteer hours.

Can this be considered non medical volunteering? Do you all have suggestions as for other things I can do, engage in, or create that would be seen as a meaningful volunteer pursuit?

Members don't see this ad.

Do you all have suggestions as for other things I can do, engage in, or create that would be seen as a meaningful volunteer pursuit?
Organize a youth group that has fun and helps others, example being assist seniors and shut-ins with yard clean up/sprucing up of houses/apartments, or in other ways.

Volunteering at your mosque would definitely count as volunteer hours. I'd try to get as much face-to-face time with people as you can (like serving food) so you actually have something to talk about later. No one wants to hear about the poop stains on the commodes that you clean.

Members don't see this ad :)
Your local houses of worship will have plenty of volunteer opportunities.

There's also Habitat for Humanity; Big Brother/Sister...

My parents founded a local house of worship (church, temple, mosque, etc. - I prefer not to be specific but it's one of those).

I don't have much in the way of any non-medical volunteering so I was wondering if there's anything I can do to consider this as volunteering? My mom told me to go every week and help clean and serve food and to count them as volunteer hours.

Can this be considered non medical volunteering? Do you all have suggestions as for other things I can do, engage in, or create that would be seen as a meaningful volunteer pursuit?

Volunteer tutoring is my favorite. I built real skills that led to a job while meeting and helping people from so many different backgrounds.

Absolutely. So, your parents founded the place, no biggie. If you are using your time to help others without compensation, it is volunteer work.