How can nernst equation be used on the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GRod18

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
has anyone ever seen this equation on a test question?
went through my old chemistry text book and did some sample questions and it seems that some questions would take me at least 5-8 min to get through.

You would have to figure out E cell from reduction potential and Ecathode - Eanode, and then plug in the molarity into the equation along with the E cell to find E observed. ... a lot of work.

Should this equation be memorized? I know how to derive it, but there are several different versions of it that differs from + / - log to ln and log variations etc....

Members don't see this ad.

I am back!!! Mathematically it would be a long problem, but it can always be on the MCAT. When you say derive it do you mean by equating E with G? I've memorized the Nernst equation, but since deriving it is so easy it shouldn't be too bad. I could see this tested mathematically without any calculation (i.e. what is the expression for the eq constant given...) or conceptually (i.e. as a reaction proceeds toward eq, it's voltage...)

I am back!!! Mathematically it would be a long problem, but it can always be on the MCAT. When you say derive it do you mean by equating E with G? I've memorized the Nernst equation, but since deriving it is so easy it shouldn't be too bad. I could see this tested mathematically without any calculation (i.e. what is the expression for the eq constant given...) or conceptually (i.e. as a reaction proceeds toward eq, it's voltage...)

just can't stay away can you Rabolisk. Lol ok I'll just study it along those lines then. ya thats what I would say by deriving. TPR actually does a decent job of covering it in just 1 page.

Thanks!