Army How can the Army benefit my career?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Thefutureofcardio

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a few questions regarding the US Army and medicine.

I will be attending university this fall as a Biology major with the hopes of attending medical school here in the United States and going into Cardiothoracic surgery.

My current plan is to continue with the traditional route of four years of undergraduate education, followed by four years of medical school at a civilian medical university, and then complete a civilian residency in general surgery before landing a Cardiothoracic fellowship.

My question is, taking this route what can the US Army offer me in my career prospects?

I don't wish to make a career in the Army, but instead get hands-on experience working with a team of professionals dedicated to selfless service and patient care.

Joining after residency how long would I be required to commit, would it be four years or two? And does the US Army offer fellowships in Cardiothoracic surgery that count towards time in service and are prestigious and rigorous as well as well rounded that I could substitute for a civilian fellowship?

So far, I've heard some cons of military medicine being the lack of adequate hands-on experience in both General and Cardiothoracic surgery, I'm hoping for some further insight that isn't from a recruiter who's bound to lie about some things.

All experiences welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Short answer, it can't.

The army no longer has internal CT surgery fellowships. All of the recent CT surgeons were trained at civilian institutions. Further, the volume of CT surgery performed in the military is miniscule compared to even a poor CT fellowship program or a community heart program.

Sent from my SM-G930V using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I would say wait until you finish undergraduate (if you even finish as a pre-med) before you start making decisions about medical school. Between then and now your whole life goals may change.

Reactions: 1 user
Based upon your post, the Army would be a detriment to everything you want to do.

Reactions: 3 users
"Search bar. Use it."

No, really, it works?

Obviously I had already searched this information and couldn't get any when I decided to come here.

"Search bar. Use it."

No, really, it works?

Obviously I had already searched this information and couldn't get any when I decided to come here.

Have you tried the stickies. It has literally hundreds of opinions on whether HPSP is worth it.

In your situation...the answer is no. Training options are limited for CT surgery. And the amount of money you save on med school tuition is a drop in the bucket compared to what you would make as a civilian CT surgeon. You would be costing yourself literally hundreds of thousands of dollars doing HPSP (assuming you accomplish the near impossible feat of being a CT surgeon).

Cardiac surgery is probably the least likely of all specialties to be well supported at military hospitals in the future. Two of three Navy hospitals closed their cardiac surgery programs in the last year. They may or may not restart. Military patient populations just don't tend to be the sort who need cardiac surgery. The patients who do (retirees) are far more likely to be cared for at VA or civilian hospitals.

The good news is, you don't have to make any decisions about joining or not joining now. Enjoy your undergrad years, keep your gpa in the 3.7+ range, get a respectable MCAT score. Hopefully you chose a school that won't saddle you with a lot of debt, that might make you feel cornered into taking HPSP for the money at a later date. Kudos for looking ahead, but the cart is before the horse here.

Study hard, keep your options open. You are very specific in your goals, and goals change from undergrad to Med school to residency.

The future of military medicine is rapidly changing.

Defense Health Agency (DHA) is fixing to take over Milmed.

The focus is now on operational readiness.

Something as specific as CT surgery will likely be farmed out to civilian sector.

Best of luck.

I have a few questions regarding the US Army and medicine.

I will be attending university this fall as a Biology major with the hopes of attending medical school here in the United States and going into Cardiothoracic surgery.

My current plan is to continue with the traditional route of four years of undergraduate education, followed by four years of medical school at a civilian medical university, and then complete a civilian residency in general surgery before landing a Cardiothoracic fellowship.

My question is, taking this route what can the US Army offer me in my career prospects?

I don't wish to make a career in the Army, but instead get hands-on experience working with a team of professionals dedicated to selfless service and patient care.

Joining after residency how long would I be required to commit, would it be four years or two? And does the US Army offer fellowships in Cardiothoracic surgery that count towards time in service and are prestigious and rigorous as well as well rounded that I could substitute for a civilian fellowship?

So far, I've heard some cons of military medicine being the lack of adequate hands-on experience in both General and Cardiothoracic surgery, I'm hoping for some further insight that isn't from a recruiter who's bound to lie about some things.

All experiences welcome!
Listen, the title of your post says it all. Anyone who enters the military thinking that they will get out more than they put in is wrong and destined for disappointment.

If you’re not prepared to sacrifice everything while expecting nothing in return then forget about the military.

If you’re still game then line up, we are always looking for more sausage to grind.

Reactions: 1 user