How can you tell if you did well in a MMI? How many bad stations is enough to tank your app?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had my first MMI and I didn't like it. There were around 8 stations and most of them were easy and cool. First one I was a bit nervous cuz I didn't know what to expect, but had a clear answer. There was one where there really wasn't much to discuss about the prompt because it was weird, and I'm pretty sure I bombed the acting patient one just because it's the first time I've ever been in that situation and it's not like I'm in medical school where you're specifically. How can I tell if I screwed up the MMI or not? If you ask me I really like the traditional interviews just because they're pretty easy to handle and having a real conversation isn't a big deal. Yea, a bad traditional interview can sink your app, but at least it actually gives insight into your motivations for attending the school and the interviewer can really get to know, instead of some gimmicky rushed approach to interviewing. Having 8-10 stations isn't a great thing when you have like 5-8 minutes to talk to the other person. I also don't like being ranked against other people in MMIs because there's a lot of subjectivity that is disservice to analyze quantitatively for the sake of being quantiative.

How can you tell if you did well in a MMI? How many bad stations is enough to tank your app?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I just had my first MMI and I didn't like it. There were around 8 stations and most of them were easy and cool. First one I was a bit nervous cuz I didn't know what to expect, but had a clear answer. There was one where there really wasn't much to discuss about the prompt because it was weird, and I'm pretty sure I bombed the acting patient one just because it's the first time I've ever been in that situation and it's not like I'm in medical school where you're specifically. How can I tell if I screwed up the MMI or not? If you ask me I really like the traditional interviews just because they're pretty easy to handle and having a real conversation isn't a big deal. Yea, a bad traditional interview can sink your app, but at least it actually gives insight into your motivations for attending the school and the interviewer can really get to know, instead of some gimmicky rushed approach to interviewing. Having 8-10 stations isn't a great thing when you have like 5-8 minutes to talk to the other person. I also don't like being ranked against other people in MMIs because there's a lot of subjectivity that is disservice to analyze quantitatively for the sake of being quantiative.

Actually, that's put forth as one of the benefits of the MMI format. You're ranked against other people in traditional interviews as well, except that you only get ONE interviewer, with ONE subjective opinion/perspective, and no redos. (OK, maybe you get 2 or so, depending on school, but the way you are discussing it made it sound like MMI vs 1 trad interview, so I went with it). At least with the MMI you get multiple perspectives, multiple chances, and are theoretically ranked on very specific characteristics each round.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Actually, that's put forth as one of the benefits of the MMI format. You're ranked against other people in traditional interviews as well, except that you only get ONE interviewer, with ONE subjective opinion/perspective, and no redos. (OK, maybe you get 2 or so, depending on school, but the way you are discussing it made it sound like MMI vs 1 trad interview, so I went with it). At least with the MMI you get multiple perspectives, multiple chances, and are theoretically ranked on very specific characteristics each round.

those very specific characteristics are still totally subjective. It's like trying to quantitatively analyze philosophy, art, or religious studies

those very specific characteristics are still totally subjective. It's like trying to quantitatively analyze philosophy, art, or religious studies
I'm not disagreeing...I'm simply stating that having 8 subjective opinions determining your future vs 1 subjective opinion helps to mitigate some of the randomness.

Reactions: 4 users