How closely does AAMC actually adhere to its Outline?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nwu

Just yes
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Under AAMC Biology section 1B "Control of Gene Expression in Prokaryotes" it says we should know "positive control in bacteria."

When I was studying microbio, I remember we had also talked about positive vs negative control , and then the difference between an inducible vs repressible system.

That section of the outline just states "positive control" but I'd figure the opposite of that, negative control, must be just as important? And to a lesser extent maybe the definitions of inducible vs repressible.

So I guess my question is, how closely does AAMC adhere to its outline. Do they just want me to know only about positive control and really this question goes beyond just this bacteria topic, in general is it safe to just stick to what the outline wants us to know?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

The outline is a great guideline, but it's exactly that - a guideline. In my experience, the AAMC virtually never deviates drastically from its outline. In other words, if momentum is never mentioned on the outline, and nothing directly related to momentum is mentioned either, then momentum won't be tested on the exam.

HOWEVER, the outline couldn't possibly list every detail that you need to know, or it would be hundreds of pages long. This brings me back to your original question. If the AAMC mentions "positive control" as a topic to know, think of that as a "heading" under which fall all of the related concepts that you mentioned. To be safe, you'll want to know all of them.

For another example, the only time the AAMC ever mentions titrations directly is in Concept Category 5A under the bullet "Buffers." Specifically, it only lists "buffers' influence on titration curves." Does this mean that you only need to know titrations as they relate to buffer solutions? Certainly not - you need to be able to identify half- and equivalence points, relate the curves to amino acids, etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The outline is a great guideline, but it's exactly that - a guideline. In my experience, the AAMC virtually never deviates drastically from its outline. In other words, if momentum is never mentioned on the outline, and nothing directly related to momentum is mentioned either, then momentum won't be tested on the exam.

HOWEVER, the outline couldn't possibly list every detail that you need to know, or it would be hundreds of pages long. This brings me back to your original question. If the AAMC mentions "positive control" as a topic to know, think of that as a "heading" under which fall all of the related concepts that you mentioned. To be safe, you'll want to know all of them.

For another example, the only time the AAMC ever mentions titrations directly is in Concept Category 5A under the bullet "Buffers." Specifically, it only lists "buffers' influence on titration curves." Does this mean that you only need to know titrations as they relate to buffer solutions? Certainly not - you need to be able to identify half- and equivalence points, relate the curves to amino acids, etc.

Hope this helps! Good luck :)

Thanks that did help. But it also made me feel a little uneasy in your reference to AAMC's titration bullet. Titration is a huge topic and it shouldn't be a bullet but instead a subtopic of its own. I guess I'll play it by ear for now...

Well, that's always the issue with outlines. Honestly, if I were to make my own "MCAT outline" it would be like 30 pages long, haha - I can think of a solid page of info just for acid-base chem alone. But the official outline at least gives you something to go on.

One thing that I've also found helpful when looking through the AAMC breakdown is to pay special note to the topics that are mentioned more than once. If you gather the outlines from all subjects into one place, you'll be surprised at how repetitive it seems. For example, I think amino acids are mentioned at least 3 times, and we all know how important those are...