How common is it to apply to 3 or more specialities?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

qqw

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
To summarize my story, due to factors such as husband's career and kids, I'm more interested in a certain region than what specialty I do. I'm thinking of applying to 3 different specialties. Peds, Family, and IM. I have a top choice, but I would be happy with any of them. I'm also not competitive, so I feel like I have to apply to more options in the area, and not just my top choice since my area only has a set number.

Is this common? Is it a problem?
Any advice while doing this?
I'm not planning on applying to more than 1 speciality within the same institution. Because I assume this would not be viewed positively even with my explanation. Or can I get away with that?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This question gets asked every year, and every year the answer is the same.

1. It's OK to apply to multiple specialties, lots of people do it every year.

2. You basically need to have multiple, specialty-specific applications. Specialty-specific PS, LORs, etc. The people reading you application should not be able to figure out you are applying to multiple specialties. Most PDs will throw the application away if they can tell they are a "back-up" specialty.

3. It's probably fine to apply to different specialties at the same institution. PDs are not sitting around comparing their interview offer lists. Actually interviewing at multiple programs in the same institution is riskier, but still probably fine notwithstanding just bad luck and running into someone from the other program and them recognizing you. Again, most PDs are not sharing their ROL with PDs from other specialties at their institution.

Argus can speak to this better from the resident perspective but I would be cautious with this. Having spent most of my time in one particular state for medical education I have quickly learned how small the world can really be at times. Of course, maybe the PDs don't care, I can't speak for them but I do recommend making a decision based on the possibility that they may find out and not on an ideal that they don't. As a general rule from a strictly data driven perspective without even knowing anything about you, FM may offer you the best shot at your #1 or at least staying in state. If I were in your shoes I may try that route.

This question gets asked every year, and every year the answer is the same.

1. It's OK to apply to multiple specialties, lots of people do it every year.

2. You basically need to have multiple, specialty-specific applications. Specialty-specific PS, LORs, etc. The people reading you application should not be able to figure out you are applying to multiple specialties. Most PDs will throw the application away if they can tell they are a "back-up" specialty.

3. It's probably fine to apply to different specialties at the same institution. PDs are not sitting around comparing their interview offer lists. Actually interviewing at multiple programs in the same institution is riskier, but still probably fine notwithstanding just bad luck and running into someone from the other program and them recognizing you. Again, most PDs are not sharing their ROL with PDs from other specialties at their institution.

If I recall correctly, they can see your fourth year transcript. Am I correct in assuming this?