How competitive am I before I take DAT (Applying this Summer)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BetaHelix

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a post-bach career changer. Overall GPA 3.42 overall science 3.5-3.6. Pre-req GPA 4.0. GPA within last 42 units 4.0 (all science). Took 28 units last year all science as part of the program. Got a 4.0. I don't have the highest oGPA but I have a trong upward trend.

Have 200 hours as a volunteer dental assistant. 2 LOR's. There. Will be getting commitee LOR as part of my post-bach program. Lots of other volunteer and and community service I've done over the span of years. Pretty gung ho about about this career change.

Anyways I take the DAT in June and I am very nervous. Been studying daily for about 2 months already and I have a few more to go. I plan on applying early.

What's a score I should shoot for? Will my academics help me get away with a less than average score? I plan to apply to basically all the private schools maybe a few CA state schools where I reside. I just don't feel like I'll be able to get higher than a 19-20

Members don't see this ad.

Get a 20 minimum and you're golden.

Looking real good, if you score 19 or better I say you have a shot at a lot of schools, 20 or better, you are really looking awesome!

Members don't see this ad :)
What the other 2 said. You have a nice GPA and strong upward trend, solid EC's. Get even an okay DAT score (19ish) and you're sure to land interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
do you mind if i ask what post-bac program you're doing and how you like it? i'm looking to enroll in one for this fall, also career-changer. thanks!