How competitive are FP residencies in California?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

globalism

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know FP residencies aren't all that competitive but is that true even in Cali? Can a person who scores a 210-220 on the USMLE (which from what I understand, is a fairly good score) pretty much land almost any Cali FP residency?

BTW, how relevant would it be if the person graduated from a DO school? Is it seen as an advantage or detriment?

Just wondering. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is it's easy. Some DOs actually head the allopathic family residency programs in southern CA. I think the one at USC is headed by a DO and a few others. Look on Freida at all the CA residencies and you see that the residents are a good mix of MDs and DOs.

Also if you go to this site:

http://www.scutwork.com/other/match2004/Unfilled_Program.pdf

...it shows all the unfilled programs from last year in all specialties and in all states. If you look at page 3 it shows the allopathic family practice residency programs in CA that didn't fill. I copied and it pasted below. The 1st of the last two numbers indicates the program's quota and the last number indicates how many spots were taken. For example, for the 1st choice at California Hospital medical center, they had 8 open spots and filled 4.

CALIFORNIA
CALIFORNIA HOSP MED CTR
Tel: (213)744-0801 8 4
Email: [email protected]
Fax:(213)741-1434
KAISER PERMANENTE-LA-CA
Tel: (323)783-4516 2055120C0 9 8
Fax:(323)783-4771
MERCY MED CTR-REDDING-CA
Tel: (530)225-6090 3081120C0 7 4
RIVERSIDE COUNTY REG MED-CA
Tel: (909)486-5611 1850120C0 9 8
UC DAVIS MED CTR-SAC-CA
Tel: (916)734-3432 1046120C0 9 5
UC IRVINE MED CTR-CA
Tel: (714)456-6502 1043120C0 10 7
USC FAM MED RES PROG-CA
Tel: Not provided 1460120C0 3 2

UCI, USC, and Kaiser Permanente didn't fill their programs so you know they would have gladly taken a DO to fill their quota if they could. That basically means that FP is easy to get into in CA simply if you pass classes and boards. It's beautiful.

Sense said:
The answer is it's easy. Some DOs actually head the allopathic family residency programs in southern CA. I think the one at USC is headed by a DO and a few others. Look on Freida at all the CA residencies and you see that the residents are a good mix of MDs and DOs.

Also if you go to this site:

http://www.scutwork.com/other/match2004/Unfilled_Program.pdf

...it shows all the unfilled programs from last year in all specialties and in all states. If you look at page 3 it shows the allopathic family practice residency programs in CA that didn't fill. I copied and it pasted below. The 1st of the last two numbers indicates the program's quota and the last number indicates how many spots were taken. For example, for the 1st choice at California Hospital medical center, they had 8 open spots and filled 4.

CALIFORNIA
CALIFORNIA HOSP MED CTR
Tel: (213)744-0801 8 4
Fax:(213)741-1434
KAISER PERMANENTE-LA-CA
Tel: (323)783-4516 2055120C0 9 8
Fax:(323)783-4771
MERCY MED CTR-REDDING-CA
Tel: (530)225-6090 3081120C0 7 4
RIVERSIDE COUNTY REG MED-CA
Tel: (909)486-5611 1850120C0 9 8
UC DAVIS MED CTR-SAC-CA
Tel: (916)734-3432 1046120C0 9 5
UC IRVINE MED CTR-CA
Tel: (714)456-6502 1043120C0 10 7
USC FAM MED RES PROG-CA
Tel: Not provided 1460120C0 3 2

UCI, USC, and Kaiser Permanente didn't fill their programs so you know they would have gladly taken a DO to fill their quota if they could. That basically means that FP is easy to get into in CA simply if you pass classes and boards. It's beautiful.

Cool, thanks for the info.

Members don't see this ad :)
California is unique in that it has so many FP porgrams, but it also has some of the best and most unique programs in the country. There is such a variation. Some of these programs are very competitive, never take IMG's, and never go unmatched. But as you can see, others are sort of borderline. I too am a DO with similar stats (see my website below and read my individual blogs...I address this topic in detail), and I am confident I can get any program in the country. I am spending the first 2 months of summer starting mid June in Cali next year to see if I like the 3 programs I am eyeballing the most.

Hi there,

Last year was a bit competitve seeing that only 17 spots went unfilled in California. I think the year before it was around 50 spots that were unfilled. (I'm referring only to allopathic programs).

For me I knew where I wanted to go and knowing how competitive the programs were I took the USMLE as well as did rotations at some of the programs (which I think are just as important). Sure, matching in California won't be a problem, but if you want a choice of where to go, that's a different story.

Also, being a D.O. was actually a strength as over half of the programs I interviewed at specifically asked how my OMT training was. One program in particular was actively looking for someone who was comfortable teaching it.

Just my 2 cents,

Arnold

aecuenca2 said:
Hi there,

Last year was a bit competitve seeing that only 17 spots went unfilled in California. I think the year before it was around 50 spots that were unfilled. (I'm referring only to allopathic programs).

For me I knew where I wanted to go and knowing how competitive the programs were I took the USMLE as well as did rotations at some of the programs (which I think are just as important). Sure, matching in California won't be a problem, but if you want a choice of where to go, that's a different story.

Also, being a D.O. was actually a strength as over half of the programs I interviewed at specifically asked how my OMT training was. One program in particular was actively looking for someone who was comfortable teaching it.

Just my 2 cents,

Arnold
Hey Arnold, you're a COMP grad right? I am probably going to go the allopathic family practice route also. I see that you took the USMLE. Do you think that it's necessary to take the USMLE for the FP programs in CA or would COMLEX be ok. I was under the impression that the COMLEX should be enough to match FP in CA. Thanks.