How competitive are non-psychology majors for psychiatry residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The key is to not play into it. That's what he wants. Like a high school bully. :p

Let it goooooooo. This thread is so far off topic.

He can't let it go because his conscience is eating at him. Welp, I'm going to bed... at least one of us can sleep well at night.

Members don't see this ad.

He can't let it go because his conscience is eating at him. Welp, I'm going to bed... at least one of us can sleep well at night.
It's not fair for anyone to take their frustrations out on DermViser simply because he chose a profession he likes.
Kind of like how it's not fair to put down ecologists who study snail behavior. Not that I'm saying dermatologists are the equivalent to snail biologists in academia.

Anyway, I'm heading to bed as well... I suggest we leave the thread for dead.

Reactions: 1 user
Of course it is fair. He didn't choose the specialty he liked. He sold out and chose a lifestyle instead of doing something a little more noble (which would have involved literally any other specialty).

Members don't see this ad :)
Of course it is fair. He didn't choose the specialty he liked. He sold out and chose a lifestyle instead of doing something a little more noble (which would have involved literally any other specialty).

So according to you, it's IMPOSSIBLE to be interested in dermatology? Every single person who chooses to go into it is only in it for the lifestyle? There is no single person in this entire universe who can possibly be interested in the field? Okay.

What if Cardiology magically became a lifestyle specialty? Suddenly, by definition, everyone who goes into is a sell out.

Reactions: 5 users
C'mon…that's unfair.

Unless you know @DermViser IRL, you can't possibly know his motivations for pursuing his chosen profession.

Even if he did choose Derm for its lifestyle friendly possibilities, is that so wrong? Who cares? Its his life, not ours.

Reactions: 7 users

Haha, dermatology not being "noble." That's great. Something I would've expected from a first-year college student, not a fellow.

Reactions: 5 users
C'mon…that's unfair.

Unless you know @DermViser IRL, you can't possibly know his motivations for pursuing his chosen profession.

Even if he did choose Derm for its lifestyle friendly possibilities, is that so wrong? Who cares? Its his life, not ours.
Every one has told me that doing a Pediatric Derm fellowship is a waste of time bc it is not as lucrative (as procedures are just not done as much in infants and children - esp. with their scared parents, and Pedi Derms have even lower salaries than General Derms), vs. more coveted fellowships in Mohs/Procedural Derm (which is 100% procedures) and Dermpath: http://dermatologytimes.modernmedic...ric-dermatology-growing-subspecialt?page=full

For my purposes, since the endpoint was Pedi Derm, if Pediatric residency was allowed to have a board certified Pediatric Derm fellowship pathway, I would have just as easily done that. Heck, it definitely would have made things so much easier and less stressful in medical school, in general.

At this point, I'm used to InStateWaiter (fully expected from someone who went to Hopkins IM and did Cardiology) and makes comments like, "A potted plant could match into psychiatry."

Reactions: 2 users
Haha, dermatology not being "noble." That's great. Something I would've expected from a first-year college student, not a fellow.
You don't get it - unless you're awake at 3 AM stenting hearts, you're not doing actual medicine. But he InStateWaiter thinks bc PM&R makes lower salaries (not actually true as they play the procedure game quite well both in residency and in fellowships such as pain medicine, for example, - hence the moniker, Plenty of Money and Relaxation), they only love their field bc of physiology and mechanics. To think he was the top of his IM class to get into Cards.

What if Cardiology magically became a lifestyle specialty? Suddenly, by definition, everyone who goes into is a sell out.

There are other lifestyle specialties which are not sellout specialties.

I feel as if I would be indignant if someone presumed to tell me why I went into a specific field, for any reason. There's no universal rule on the value of various motivations, either.

Reactions: 2 users

Your disdain for derm is very weird. Did a dermatologist sleep with your wife/husband/gf/bf/mother/father? Who would you go to if you suspected that you had skin cancer? I just don't really get why you are so strong opinioned about this field.

Reactions: 1 users
Your disdain for derm is very weird. Did a dermatologist sleep with your wife/husband/gf/bf/mother/father? Who would you go to if you suspected that you had skin cancer? I just don't really get why you are so strong opinioned about this field.

You really can't understand why derm is selling out or why selling out would be frowned upon?

This back-and-forth about others motivation for choosing a specialty is off-topic and nonproductive. I think the OPs question has been answered sufficiently and will close this thread.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.