How COMPETITIVE are the audiology programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tam2688

tam2688
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am wondering if getting into the Audiology programs are as competitve as optometry or medical school? Is chemistry and organic and calculus needed for audiology?What kind of GPA do you need? How many students do they accept each year and about how many schools are there? I know it's 8 years of schooling like optometry, so what is an advantage of going into audiology?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I followed you here from the optometry school forums. Optometry school is only 4 years.

Just like any program, some schools will be more difficult to get into than others: requiring no less than a 1000 GRE, excellent recommendations, GPA of 3.5+, etc. Some schools just need warm bodies, and will take about anyone. But every program I have looked at only took a dozen or less students, and was only 4 years long.

Here is a list of the top AuD programs in the country as of 2008
http://consusrankings.com/2008/04/01/us-news-best-graduate-audiology-programs-2008/

I applied to #4 on the list, and was turned down flat for two years straight. I had a 1040 GRE, 3.45 GPA and excellent recommendations from highly respected Audiologists (but for all I know they could of said how horrible I was). But I applied to another school that isn't even on the list, and they accepted me with open arms and lots of scholarships.

As for calculus, chemisty etc. It can't hurt, but I don't think AuD programs look at that.

I have never looked into med school or optometry. I am an AuD student, so I only have my personal experience to offer. Hope it helps!

-Corti

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you Corti2012 for shedding some light on the field. I had no idea about it.

Mathcod - you are so helpful on the OD forums, thanks a lot. Yea I was going mad when writing, I meant to say 4 undergrad and 4 actual schooling for degree.

Thanks guys.

Tam

this might be wrong, but i have a feeling audiology isn't nearly as competitive as optometry. audiologists don't make near the amount of money optometrists do and it's a smaller field. the structure of the education is also completely different.

it's true-the classes are small, but i'm pretty sure most places just rank everyone by gpa and gre and go down the list. you can find stats on many schools here: http://hes.asha.org:8080/EdFind/Doctoral/DoctSearch.aspx

if you're above average you have pretty good chances of getting in. i know people who've been accepted from waitlists as late as june and awarded scholarships as late as august.

It's true, it is a totally different structure and that was what made me wonder how competitive it is. I will take a look at the links, thanks guys.

Anyone with a recognized docterate degree is recognized as a doctor in my opinion provided it is within 1. an academic setting, and 2. in their practice setting.

I will not call anybody, even if they are MD a doctor, outside of these two settings. It makes them complete douches. With that said, it is unethical in professional standards to mislead somebody that you are more than who you say you are. This means you should say, Hi. I am Dr. ______, audiologist, optremetrist, pharmacist, etc.

Has anyone heard anything about Montclair State University's audiology program in NJ? I have a limited number of schools I can apply to and Montclair is one of them. But I keep hearing so many negative comments. Please let me know, thanks!

Last edited: