How Detrimental is an 8 year old dui when applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JDWannabe

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, 33 yo, non-trad student. tons of ECs, Music teacher for 7 years, work in pharmacy, research student, 3.47 sGPA allo, 3.74 sGPA osteo.
I made a terrible mistake almost a decade ago and I am losing sleep worrying about this charge. There was no accident, I was stopped for a tag violation (no tag, just bought a new car days earlier). How stressed should I be about this affecting my chances?

Members don't see this ad.

Is your record clean otherwise?

I had a "failure to exercise due care" charge, which is technically a reckless driving charge, about 3 years prior to that. Other than that I have no other charges.

Members don't see this ad :)
it's all speculation except what actually shows up on the background checks that will be run on you for the rest of your life. you can't control what checks will be ordered by med schools or residency programs or hospitals. the services that sell these checks vary from local to regional to national.

what you can do is buy some background checks to see what's there.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes. I am not a habitual drinker at all. I made a few bad decisions when I was younger. I look back with regret almost every day at how stupid I was then. These actions do not signify who I am or who I am trying to become.

I did the check and it is on there. I just don't know how heavily something that happened such a long time ago will be weighed. Especially considering my progress since then: started teaching music(guitar to kids/adults and have been for the last 7 & 1/2 years), earned my Cell/Molec BS in 3.5 years, worked full time throughout and now in a pharmacy for last 2 years, chemistry supplemental instructor at my school for 3 semesters, research student with collaborative credit on soon to be submitted paper, extensive shadowing and volunteer hours as well. What are your opinions based on my info?

Last edited:
Hi guys, 33 yo, non-trad student. tons of ECs, Music teacher for 7 years, work in pharmacy, research student, 3.47 sGPA allo, 3.74 sGPA osteo.
I made a terrible mistake almost a decade ago and I am losing sleep worrying about this charge. There was no accident, I was stopped for a tag violation (no tag, just bought a new car days earlier). How stressed should I be about this affecting my chances?
I did the check and it is on there. I just don't know how heavily something that happened such a long time ago will be weighed. Especially considering my progress since then: started teaching music(guitar to kids/adults and have been for the last 7 & 1/2 years), earned my Cell/Molec BS in 3.5 years, worked full time throughout and now in a pharmacy for last 2 years, chemistry supplemental instructor at my school for 3 semesters, research student with collaborative credit on soon to be submitted paper, extensive shadowing and volunteer hours as well. What are your opinions based on my info?
You will be asked about it. So make sure you have something to say. I don't think it will keep you out everywhere, considering the progress you've made and how long it's been. I have a possession charge from about 6 years ago (with NO conviction) and I was still asked about it.
Perhaps @Goro or @mimelim can offer some advice?

Last edited:
Thank you.
You will be asked about it. So make sure you have something to say. I don't think it will keep you out everywhere, considering the progress you've made and how long it's been. I have a possession charge from about 6 years ago (with NO conviction) and I was still asked about it.
I appreciate the input.

I second this. I had a knowingly furnishing to a minor and several bad check charges from 12-15 years prior. I was asked about it in all my interviews and had to meet with one dean prior to being offered one of them. You may want to research the licensing rules in the states you are considering schools, residencies, and working and be sure you can be licensed there. When I was asked, I answered honestly about the mistakes, and finished with the fact I could be licensed there- it seemed to allay their fears.

I think you'll be OK

Reactions: 1 users
Not to hijack but I want to throw this in here while people are commenting on this genre of paranoia.

8 year old misdemeanor for disorderly conduct? Breaking up a fight, detained, issued a ticket and let go. The background check I had ran for a job recently reminded me about it and it definitely reads poorly. "Sentenced to 30 days jail, blah blah blah." Again, was never placed in a car, let alone see a jail cell. I did miss the court date so it reads convicted.

Clean record otherwise and 8 year veteran.

I have two prior DUIs and am completely sober now. It was all a symptom of a larger problem, which I've dealt with since the final incident. I know that licensing might have something to say about it in some states, but I plan to research it heavily and talk with my lawyer that last represented me (he's one of the more knowledgeable attorneys in my state on the subject) to see how it may impact me overall. I'm thinking about doing some volunteer work (which I've wanted to for a while) with substance abuse causes to show I've changed. I would research all state licensing requirements to make sure the 1 DUI won't affect you in that state. I've got a bit more of a problem than your 1, but still worth the time to research. DO NOT GET ANYMORE. A taxi cab is always cheaper in the end, and safer. I would not have been able to live with myself had I hurt someone with my stupidity, and was very fortunate I did not. "First do no harm."

Members don't see this ad :)
My problem was not thinking before acting. I am not certain if it was due to the undiagnosed ADHD or plain stupidity. I hardly drink at all anymore and if I do now it rarely exceeds one drink. I am never getting another one. I want to help people, not hurt them.
Also, how should I phrase all of this on AMCAS?

Not sure if being a jerk or asking serious question.
You misunderstand. He's asking if you are currently abusing alcohol in your life.

I was never an abuser of alcohol or anything else. I took my intelligence and potential for granted and didn't think about the implications of my decisions. BTW, thank you to all for your support and help.
Does anyone know how I should write about how I learned from this event without sounding like I am full of it?

I was never an abuser of alcohol or anything else. I took my intelligence and potential for granted and didn't think about the implications of my decisions. BTW, thank you to all for your support and help.
Does anyone know how I should write about how I learned from this event without sounding like I am full of it?
Hm, I would certainly avoid saying "I never abused alcohol." Even if there is a kernel of truth there, it could come off as trying to make excuses.

Last edited:
Hm, I would certainly avoid saying "I never abused alcohol." Even if there is a kernel of truth there. It could come off as trying to make excuses.

This is sound advice. Besides, one of the first questions a substance abuse counselor would ask you, despite your answer, is how many positive experiences has alcohol brought to your life? Make a list of those experience. It's either going to be short, or non-existent. If it it causing problems in your life, then you have/had an alcohol problem. Own the past and move on. :)

I have "owned" the past. Moving on is not an option. To do so (to me) means to disregard the event ever happened. Instead I carry it with me every day as a reminder of where I have been and how I have grown from it.

I guess that's a way to look at it. I accept responsibility for my mistakes and I've certainly grown from them. I have a lot of shame. However, I cannot let that shame carry me on every day since I'm not the same person today that I was in the past. I can't beat myself up over past mistakes. I can only accept it and move on and show what I'm capable of today.