How did you do in physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocTAP87

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was just working on my physics homework and I had to stop. I'm tired of failing this class. I have done well in school up until now but I can't grasp this subject. The good news is I'm not alone...the class average is 50% so the prof is going to curve the grade. I'm worried that this class is going to hurt my GPA and be a blemish on my application.

I've gone to tutors, I keep an open communication with the prof and I do my weekly homework while fighting the urge to break down.

How did you do in physics? Was it really hard for any of you guys currently in PT school or working PTs? I've done well in all my science courses and math up to pre-calc; could physics doom my app?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

It sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing. I would also recommend buying a MathTutorDVD and get a problem book for extra practice. Keep working with a tutor. I had to work with a tutor twice a week to do the homework. It was expensive but it was worth the cost.

I accidentally took university physics and I withdrew. It was calculus-based and my calculus skills were eroded. I got an A in college physics I, and then a B in college physics II. The second level of physics was definitely tougher because it deals with electromagnetism, optics, capacitors, etc. Just pass. If you get a C, it shouldn't be a big deal if it's your only C. The only way physics could wreck your application is if you don't pass. Most students in that class will struggle.

Reactions: 1 user
I currently have a 98% in the physics 2 lecture and a 64% in the lab. I am hoping to get these two grade combined as it would lead me to a B. I feel your pain.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doc87: Take heart. I know a couple of my classmates who took a physics class together and were in a similar situation. Horrible professor. Unreasonable exams. A class average like you describe that then got curved to something in line with other classes. It was unnecessarily traumatic, but it didn't derail them (though I imagine it derailed others).

Where do you stand in the class? I'm imagining a q-drop is no longer an option, but if you're doing well relative to the class, things will probably be ok. If not, then there is always the option of retaking a course or two to get your application in line (which sucks...but at least this one professor doesn't have the power to destroy your life...).

For what it's worth, even in PT grad school I've seen some pretty bad professors who set students up for failure, so this is one of the sad and ugly things that we have to somehow learn how to live with. I wish you the best.

Reactions: 1 users
I youtube'd the basic stuff and went in during office hours for the more complex stuff. Its really not that bad, but takes considerable amounts of dedication. If you meet with tutors or professors, always ask "why" for each step. This is important because they may think you already know why due to prerequisite requirements and skip over a good explanation. I notice textbooks doing this a lot. I bet if they showed you 1:1 and explained why, you would be able to relate it back to previous coursework. You probably know more than you think. It's about translating the math to the context of word problems.

It sounds like you are doing everything you should be doing. I would also recommend buying a MathTutorDVD and get a problem book for extra practice. Keep working with a tutor. I had to work with a tutor twice a week to do the homework. It was expensive but it was worth the cost.

I accidentally took university physics and I withdrew. It was calculus-based and my calculus skills were eroded. I got an A in college physics I, and then a B in college physics II. The second level of physics was definitely tougher because it deals with electromagnetism, optics, capacitors, etc. Just pass. If you get a C, it shouldn't be a big deal if it's your only C. The only way physics could wreck your application is if you don't pass. Most students in that class will struggle.

I'm pretty sure I won't fail. I've scored average on the exams, and with the exception of this week's homework, I complete all of those on time and get close to full credit. I would hate to have a C on my transcript but I suppose it won't do me in...if I have to retake it I can do that.

So, I was just working on my physics homework and I had to stop. I'm tired of failing this class. I have done well in school up until now but I can't grasp this subject. The good news is I'm not alone...the class average is 50% so the prof is going to curve the grade. I'm worried that this class is going to hurt my GPA and be a blemish on my application.

I've gone to tutors, I keep an open communication with the prof and I do my weekly homework while fighting the urge to break down.

How did you do in physics? Was it really hard for any of you guys currently in PT school or working PTs? I've done well in all my science courses and math up to pre-calc; could physics doom my app?

Thanks!

I've done really well in both my physics 1 and 2 classes. What is getting you frustrated - have you identified your weaknesses and strengths? I felt like there were two components of the class, concepts and math. If you feel more comfortable starting with one or the other, do it. If you like the math, think in terms of the equations and try to translate it into the concepts. If you like the concepts try to transition concepts into the math. Make connections with real world situations and experiences you've had.

I came up with a system for homework problems. Write the given information, draw a picture, identify units and variables. Refresh your memory on the relevant equations given in the chapter. Does your given information fit into any of these? How can you get the given information to fit into the concept or equation of the chapter? My physics textbook had a nice summary in the back of each chapter with key equations and concepts. Keep turning back to it as you're doing the homework. Hone in on words like equillibrium which indicate that the sum of the forces are zero. If you are having a lot of trouble with a particular problem I would sometimes find a yahoo answer that would explain step by step the process to getting the right answer. Go through this meticulously so you understand how to do it yourself if you saw the problem again.

For me I really had the math down and had no problems solving algebraic equations or seeing the correct triangles and angles. If you're having trouble with this you really need to bear down and get your algebra skills solid - physics 2 is just a continuation of the same methods of problem solving.

Physics 1 and 2 was just another waste of my money. Absolutely no bearing on PT. Yeah, someone will argue that it's necessary before kinesiology. No. The vectors and force pull/production and all that were not hard.
Just pass Physics. It's like organic chem. Absolutely nothing to do with PT. just pass.

Physics 1 and 2 was just another waste of my money. Absolutely no bearing on PT. Yeah, someone will argue that it's necessary before kinesiology. No. The vectors and force pull/production and all that were not hard.
Just pass Physics. It's like organic chem. Absolutely nothing to do with PT. just pass.

I would tend to disagree. Physics is a class that requires critical reasoning, which is by far and away the most important skill that a physical therapist can posses.

Reactions: 4 users
I would tend to disagree. Physics is a class that requires critical reasoning, which is by far and away the most important skill that a physical therapist can posses.
I get what you're saying, but it's apples to oranges. That might help decision making/reasoning for a mechanical engineer, but as long as you understand basic principles of "this pulls on this...or this joint affects that joint, etc" i don't understand the application. For some people, myself included, we just don't have a beautiful mind(just watched that yesterday-great movie) and numbers don't really make much sense in our heads. BUT...I use clinical reasoning all day every day. The main point of my comment was to not get full of doubts about PT as a profession just because you are not doing well in physics.

I agree with JessPT. This class is applicable. If you're trying as hard as you can and get a B that's fine. If you're not and getting anything less than an A then please stay away from my profession. Keep in mind that as a pre PT you're not qualified to determine whether a particular subject is important enough or relevant. So at this point just follow recommendations and do the best you can.

I get what you're saying, but it's apples to oranges. That might help decision making/reasoning for a mechanical engineer, but as long as you understand basic principles of "this pulls on this...or this joint affects that joint, etc" i don't understand the application. For some people, myself included, we just don't have a beautiful mind(just watched that yesterday-great movie) and numbers don't really make much sense in our heads. BUT...I use clinical reasoning all day every day. The main point of my comment was to not get full of doubts about PT as a profession just because you are not doing well in physics.

I'm not saying that being able to solve for the exact joint reaction force on the hip during single leg stance is necessary. What I am saying is that physics is a class that requires a logical thought process, where you have known and unknown variables that need to be used in order to solve a problem. That's not unlike clinical care. My patients come to me with a problem (usually pain) and I need to use a logical thought process an clinical reasoning in order to determine the best course of action.

People who can think critically and logically tend to make good clinicians. Those who can't, well...

My ability to think critically is why I am surviving the class despite my abysmal math skills. The thing is though, I've had to use critical thinking in nearly every single one of my courses. Two semesters of physics? They don't require that for med school (at least not the DO programs I considered) and I think physicians should also be decent problem solvers. I think struggling in physics should not be a sign that PT is the wrong career choice....might be a sign that engineering is the wrong career choice though.

Physics was terrible for me, and the class averages were similar to what yours are. I never got above a C on an exam but still got an A in the class though. Just power through it and see it as a stepping stone. All you can do is give it your best effort. I you're doing that, don't stress, you'll be ok.

My ability to think critically is why I am surviving the class despite my abysmal math skills. The thing is though, I've had to use critical thinking in nearly every single one of my courses. Two semesters of physics? They don't require that for med school (at least not the DO programs I considered) and I think physicians should also be decent problem solvers. I think struggling in physics should not be a sign that PT is the wrong career choice....might be a sign that engineering is the wrong career choice though.

I don't think I ever said it was.

I agree with the people who says struggling in physics does not undermine your competence as a PT, but I have to agree with @jesspt that physics is very applicable to PT! You can look at it as a "weeding out" course and do whatever you need to pass, or you can try to relate it to physical therapy. I delayed taking physics because my college only offered calculus based physics and I hated calculus. After I graduated, I took college physics I and II at a CC and aced it. My strategy was to read the textbook and picture the concepts in real life application - the labs gave us the opportunity to do that. The key is to understand how the concepts apply in your surroundings or to physical therapy (for example, picturing the application of torque during a bicep curl) and you will start to appreciate physics more. I also used chegg.com (free trial), which shows the solutions to problems in the textbook to double check my math. I must warn you though, do not just copy the solutions to hand in. You must do all the problems first and use the website to double check, or if you were not able to figure out a problem, then you can use it to guide you. I also made a "cheat sheet" where I took notes of all the equations and their variables. Given any set of known vs. unknown variables, I was able to associate those with the correct equation so that even if my math was a bit off, I received partial credit for identifying the steps to solve a problem. I'm not naturally good at math, and yes it was a lot of work for me, but in the end I loved physics, and it became one of my most enjoyable classes. Good luck! ;)

I don't think I ever said it was.

My response wasn't meant to be a reply directly to your comment but rather I was adding to the discussion based off of a few recent comments.

I agree with the people who says struggling in physics does not undermine your competence as a PT, but I have to agree with @jesspt that physics is very applicable to PT! You can look at it as a "weeding out" course and do whatever you need to pass, or you can try to relate it to physical therapy. I delayed taking physics because my college only offered calculus based physics and I hated calculus. After I graduated, I took college physics I and II at a CC and aced it. My strategy was to read the textbook and picture the concepts in real life application - the labs gave us the opportunity to do that. The key is to understand how the concepts apply in your surroundings or to physical therapy (for example, picturing the application of torque during a bicep curl) and you will start to appreciate physics more. I also used chegg.com (free trial), which shows the solutions to problems in the textbook to double check my math. I must warn you though, do not just copy the solutions to hand in. You must do all the problems first and use the website to double check, or if you were not able to figure out a problem, then you can use it to guide you. I also made a "cheat sheet" where I took notes of all the equations and their variables. Given any set of known vs. unknown variables, I was able to associate those with the correct equation so that even if my math was a bit off, I received partial credit for identifying the steps to solve a problem. I'm not naturally good at math, and yes it was a lot of work for me, but in the end I loved physics, and it became one of my most enjoyable classes. Good luck! ;)

I'll definitely change my approach when it comes to physics II. Right now, I've got two weeks left and I'll do like what other posters have said...just keep pushing through

I took General Physics at a University and received a C+. After graduating from that school I decided to take College Physics I and II at a community college and received A's in both classes. Best decision I could have made, even though I had to retake the first part over again, I felt that I would grasp the ideas a lot better, and that trigonometry pre requisite vs calculus pre requisite was to my advantage. It must have been 5 or so years apart when I first took General to when I took College Physics.

@DocTAP87, Yes, push through! What areas are you having problems with? Since you only have two weeks left, I recommend making a cheat/formula sheet with sample problems attached. Worst case scenario is: failing physics II then taking it again at a CC during the summer and getting an A to show your dedication. Obviously no one likes repeating coursework, but just know that it is not the end of the world. You will be fine.

physics is on the MCAT so I think you might be mistaken here.

BTW: you also need to understand electricity, and acoustics, thermodynamics, as well as force/acceleration/mass/momentum, elasticity vs plasticity, radial vs linear velocity/acceleration, friction and other things that you learn about in physics class.