How did you handle loans?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

versace

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
How did you fund your dental school costs and is it wise to begin practice as a gp to pay off loans and build money immediately and then specialize?

Members don't see this ad.

I think I am an exception to that because of all the high value private scholarships I have accumulated and some private businesses I am running. Im an incoming junior and as of now it looks like by the time I enter dental school I will have 0 debt and $20,000 in my bank

Is repaying a debt really a concern of yours?

You can defer repayment until you finish the post-grad program. The way I see it, working as a GP while intending to return to a specialty program can be risky. It is too easy to get used to the income, and not having to be in school anymore. On the other hand, I have heard of GPs that had no intention of specializing finding that they love certain procedures and going back to school.

An endodontist I shadowed told me to try hard to get into a specialty right out of school, because a LOT of dentists will never go back after they start working.

Is repaying a debt really a concern of yours?

You can defer repayment until you finish the post-grad program. The way I see it, working as a GP while intending to return to a specialty program can be risky. It is too easy to get used to the income, and not having to be in school anymore. On the other hand, I have heard of GPs that had no intention of specializing finding that they love certain procedures and going back to school.

An endodontist I shadowed told me to try hard to get into a specialty right out of school, because a LOT of dentists will never go back after they start working.
You're right, I thought about it and am going to aim for ortho straight out of dental school

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you actually plan to practice dentistry or just run/manage the offices your father owns? Specializing is probably not worth it, financially speaking, in your shoes.

Do you actually plan to practice dentistry or just run/manage the offices your father owns? Specializing is probably not worth it, financially speaking, in your shoes.
Both, my father is currently a general dentist that manages to do both, and I am very interested in orthodontics

Both, my father is currently a general dentist that manages to do both, and I am very interested in orthodontics

Hey buddy,

quick question- why ortho? I haven't been able to decide on a specialty yet...not a single one really calls out to me :( I want a calling too!

Hey buddy,

quick question- why ortho? I haven't been able to decide on a specialty yet...not a single one really calls out to me :( I want a calling too!
You're in pretty bad shape if you still have absolutely no idea

If you're referring to why I don't have a calling for a certain specialty- I'm just a predent- didn't think we need to decide on specialties until well into DS. I like crowns, fillings, Endo but I can't choose.

If you're referring to why I don't know why you want Ortho, It's because I refuse to believe that you're going after a specialty just for the $$- I give you more credit than that.

So tell me, am I incorrect in taking my time to find a specialty, or am I incorrect in seeing you as someone with a genuine interest in ortho, and not just for the money?

If you're referring to why I don't have a calling for a certain specialty- I'm just a predent- didn't think we need to decide on specialties until well into DS. I like crowns, fillings, Endo but I can't choose.

If you're referring to why I don't know why you want Ortho, It's because I refuse to believe that you're going after a specialty just for the $$- I give you more credit than that.

So tell me, am I incorrect in taking my time to find a specialty, or am I incorrect in seeing you as someone with a genuine interest in ortho, and not just for the money?
Its obvious your fishing for an argument so why don't you spend that time and energy opening a book so you actually have a shot at getting into dental school, huh buddy?

Its obvious your fishing for an argument so why don't you spend that time and energy opening a book so you actually have a shot at getting into dental school, huh buddy?

oh the irony.

Reactions: 4 users

Man I love your comments- they always make me laugh.

Reactions: 1 users
Man I love your comments- they always make me laugh.
Just come visit me in a few years when I'm an ortho and I'll fix up your smile for laughing

Just come visit me in a few years when I'm an ortho and I'll fix up your smile for laughing

Only on one condition: you tell me why ortho over Endo, Perio, etc. Honestly, I really want to know why people like ortho.

Come to my backyard and I'll fix you up....

You seem to be a mess

Reactions: 2 users
Come to my backyard and I'll fix you up....

You seem to be a mess
You're obviously one of those beta nerds who stutters and shakes at the knees when they talk but when your behind a computer you're a 6' 5 200lb alpha

Only on one condition: you tell me why ortho over Endo, Perio, etc. Honestly, I really want to know why people like ortho.
You tell me why you like endo first

You tell me why you like endo first

I don't want Endo necessarily as a specialty, but what I like about root canals is the precision they require: you can't miss a single canal or a single part of the decay. I also like the ability to remove a patient from the pain that the infection of the pulp is causing.

Your turn- why ortho?

I think its super fun. I really enjoy seeing patients and being helping them look better. The moment when you take off their braces and they see their new look for the first time is great. Also you get to meet their families and watch them grow. I enjoy being part of peoples lives and helping them out along the way

Reactions: 1 user
I don't want Endo necessarily as a specialty, but what I like about root canals is the precision they require: you can't miss a single canal or a single part of the decay. I also like the ability to remove a patient from the pain that the infection of the pulp is causing.

Your turn- why ortho?
You like root canals yet you are pre-dental, hmm

Status
Not open for further replies.