General Admissions & OTCAS How did you pick your program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auspiciousotter

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

I'm just wondering how everyone chose their specific program? What did you consider when deciding between schools? What was make it or break it for you?

I applied to 6 schools in the Wisconsin/Minnesota area. I only applied to schools in a location where I was willing to move to. I've already figured out costs (including rent and tution). But, what else should I be considering? How do I find out if it's a good program?

Thanks for the wisdom!

Members don't see this ad.

Definitely look at their pass rates for the NBCOT exam and compare their curriculum, program length and credit hours (one of the schools I applied to had half the amount of CR's as the others which was definitely a plus in my book). I also considered how long the field work requirements were because for me the longer the field work was, the less I'd be able to work. It's also helpful to tour the facility and meet with faculty and even reach out to previous or current students to see why they picked the program. Besides the financial aspects, just look for the school that feels like the best fit for you. The school I am leaning towards the most right now had a huge emphasis in service learning (which I love) and the professors wanted to be addressed by first name because they wanted to be viewed as future colleagues rather than professors. Their curriculum was also unique. Good luck! I know its a tough decision.

I personally don't think the pass rates are very helpfully anymore.... a few years ago the pass rates showed the percentage of students that passed the boards on the first try, but now they show the % of students that passed the boards within a year of graduating from the program. That's BIG change and I don't find the change helpful. To me passing the boards on the first go is the most important, so if you are concerned with pass rates maybe at an interview ask if they know the percentage of students that pass on the first attempt (have tact, if you do ask this). Also, I'm not sure what @FutureOT127 means about the length of the fieldwork. To sit for the boards you have to do TWO 12 weeks placements, that's across all programs. Can't see how that would be different unless maybe some programs don't guarantee that you have ur placements back to back? Or maybe entry level OTD vs Master programs have different fw requirements? But to me the most important thing to look at is your interactions with faculty and staff and current students.... that was the main reason that I chose my school. It just felt right. Tours and interviews are great.... if the school doesn't offer interviews then maybe ask for a meet greet with one of the professors and/or with current students. Also, money was the second factor (MONEY is sooooo important, student loans are real!!!)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I certainly looked at the curriculum, pass rates (didn’t know about the change @cb31 mentioned), and vibe I got during my interview but to be perfectly honest, cost, convenience, and length of program were probably my top three considerations.

I looked at curriculum, program length, location, the vibe given off during tours and current student reviews.

I personally don't think the pass rates are very helpfully anymore.... a few years ago the pass rates showed the percentage of students that passed the boards on the first try, but now they show the % of students that passed the boards within a year of graduating from the program. That's BIG change and I don't find the change helpful. To me passing the boards on the first go is the most important, so if you are concerned with pass rates maybe at an interview ask if they know the percentage of students that pass on the first attempt (have tact, if you do ask this). Also, I'm not sure what @FutureOT127 means about the length of the fieldwork. To sit for the boards you have to do TWO 12 weeks placements, that's across all programs. Can't see how that would be different unless maybe some programs don't guarantee that you have ur placements back to back? Or maybe entry level OTD vs Master programs have different fw requirements? But to me the most important thing to look at is your interactions with faculty and staff and current students.... that was the main reason that I chose my school. It just felt right. Tours and interviews are great.... if the school doesn't offer interviews then maybe ask for a meet greet with one of the professors and/or with current students. Also, money was the second factor (MONEY is sooooo important, student loans are real!!!)

Level 2 fieldwork is mandated at 24 weeks, but level 1 is up to the school. Hope that helps clarify.
https://www.aota.org/Education-Careers/Fieldwork/Answers.aspx

My choice was based off who could provide the most support to me while I was in school. I wanted to be sure I could approach my faculty and get assistance when I needed clarification. You are learning so much in a short period of time, that I feel like it’s very important to have that relationship. Also, look at the faculty and the accomplishments. Do they have a wide range of experienced? Will they be able to mentor you into the area you want to practice at?

The other question would be about job placement. How many students were offered jobs from internships? To me that’s a good sign that the students were prepared in the fieldwork and they believed the students would make excellent employees.

Cost, close to home, length of program

I picked my program almost completely off the feeling I got from the interview. I turned down a more prestigious school because I didn't get the right vibe from the faculty.

I'd also take in location, program length, and cost. I was up for a new adventure though so instead of staying close to home I decided to pick one further.

Hope this helps!

I picked my program almost completely off the feeling I got from the interview. I turned down a more prestigious school because I didn't get the right vibe from the faculty.

I'd also take in location, program length, and cost. I was up for a new adventure though so instead of staying close to home I decided to pick one further.

Hope this helps!

Do you think that going off of the feelings you received was the right choice? Right now, I am struggling with the "feelings" versus the logistics (mostly location for me). I came into this process putting location as a priority, however I believe that a program that is 10+ hours away from me is more of a fit versus one where I wouldn't have to move and save money.

Decisions, decisions!

Do you think that going off of the feelings you received was the right choice? Right now, I am struggling with the "feelings" versus the logistics (mostly location for me). I came into this process putting location as a priority, however I believe that a program that is 10+ hours away from me is more of a fit versus one where I wouldn't have to move and save money.

Decisions, decisions!

I also went with my feelings. The school I didn’t get the vibe I was looking for in the interview was not really an option for me after that. I say go to the program where you feel most comfortable in; whatever you think you will enjoy best! This is your education. I’m sure you have been looking forward to OT school, so now that the time is here, why not pick whatever is best for YOU. We have worked soo hard for this moment. I know a lot of us think about location, but if you can move to the school that you like the most, then go for it! You deserve it! It will be an experience and just for a short amount of time. If you don’t want to stay after the program, you can always move back to where you want!

Reactions: 1 user
I chose based off of my comfort with the program and the campus. Is the program going to work with my learning style? Will it meet my needs? What kind of academic support is available? What vibe does the campus and professors give off? I prioritized which program will support me in a way to be successful in the program. Personally, before I started applying, I chose which schools I would apply to and ranked them by order of preference which made for easy decision-making when I was accepted into my top choice.

Decisions, decisions!

As of right now, I'd say I made the right choice when choosing since I'm still happy with my decision. For me, location wasn't an issue. I'm willing to move to a new place and consider it an adventure. The school I declined was actually my top choice when applying, but didn't seem like a good fit during the interview process. I think you should do what's best for you. There's no right or wrong here. No matter where you go you will become an OT!

Reactions: 1 users