How did you tell your family about your acceptance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentSteph92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!

So just out of curiosity, How did you react after receiving your first dental school acceptance letter?
Moreover, How did you tell your parents? boyfriend/girlfriend? grandparents?

Did anyone do anything creative? I've heard of people baking cakes and writing the news on there with frosting. I've also heard of people framing the letter and handing it to their family members.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Love this thread! While I haven't been accepted yet, I can say I would def buy a huge bouquet of flowers for my mom. I couldn't have made it this far without her! Would love to hear others ideas :)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Love this thread! While I haven't been accepted yet, I can say I would def buy a huge bouquet of flowers for my mom. I couldn't have made it this far without her! Would love to hear others ideas :)

That is adorable! Maybe slip a little envelope with your acceptance letter in there?! haha! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Tattooed the schools' names on my forehead.

Or I just called and told them... either or...

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Came home and told my mom I would be quitting my teaching job. She started yelling. I told her, "Relax, I'm going to dental school instead."

Reactions: 6 users
Tattooed the schools' names on my forehead.

Or I just called and told them... either or...

You either have a massive forehead or a skilled tattoo artist. My bet is the former since you got into all those schools.

I bought my parents each a hoodie from the school I chose and wrapped them up as their Christmas gifts. So they had to wait till Dec. 25 for the big reveal...Greatest present ever they said!!!

Reactions: 7 users
showed my mom the email and said "Ok, now stop asking me when im gonna hear back every other hour"

I cannot wait for this moment...

I bought my parents each a hoodie from the school I chose and wrapped them up as their Christmas gifts. So they had to wait till Dec. 25 for the big reveal...Greatest present ever they said!!!

If I get accepted this cycle I'm totally doing this, except it would be a "just because" gift.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey everyone!

So just out of curiosity, How did you react after receiving your first dental school acceptance letter?
Moreover, How did you tell your parents? boyfriend/girlfriend? grandparents?

Did anyone do anything creative? I've heard of people baking cakes and writing the news on there with frosting. I've also heard of people framing the letter and handing it to their family members.

Any ideas?
I was anxious all day back on Dec 1 and was distracting myself by studying in my room. Around noon I got a waitlist email and that crushed me, I stopped studying and began making a battle plan for the next cycle. My mom asked me if I got any news yet and I just said I'll tell ya later. Nobody was more worried for me than my mom, not getting in the previous 2 cycles stressed her out more than me. At around 3pm I got the call. After sharing my excitement here on studentdoctor, I sauntered into the living room and pretended to watch the show she was watching for a minute. Then nonchalantly said "oh yeah I just got an acceptance call from dental school." She was like "wait what?" then after a sec jumped up and hugged and kissed me like a million times. Then she said something like "now that your future career is secured its time to get married!" My mom really wants grandkids.

A few hours after getting the acceptance call, I was like oh yeah, then texted my girlfriend "I got into dental school" and she texted back "F*%# off assh*le." It had been 2 months (?) since I had last seen her. In my single-minded quest of getting 4.0s to bring my low GPA up, I had unintentionally shunned her like a leper by flat out ignoring her (and everyone else's) calls/texts and absent-mindedly leaving my iphone on airplane mode for days on end. I feel bad for what happened.*Sigh* the price of success..

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
My mom was about go through security at the airport to leave for a month. Right before she was about to go through security I was like "Oh yeah, I have some horrible news to tell you." Her expression changed because it was the morning of Nov 30th. She was expecting to hear from the school on Dec 1st but I got mine on Nov 28th dated for Dec 1st.

She was prepared to come over and yell at me when I said "I got into dental school". Cue excitement.

I was anxious all day back on Dec 1 and was distracting myself by studying in my room. Around noon I got a waitlist email and that crushed me, I stopped studying and began making a battle plan for the next cycle. My mom asked me if I got any news yet and I just said I'll tell ya later. Nobody was more worried for me than my mom, not getting in the previous 2 cycles stressed her out more than me. At around 3pm I got the call. After sharing my excitement here on studentdoctor, I sauntered into the living room and pretended to watch the show she was watching for a minute. Then nonchalantly said "oh yeah I just got an acceptance call from dental school." She was like "wait what?" then after a sec jumped up and hugged and kissed me like a million times. Then she said something like "now that your future career is secured its time to get married!" My mom really wants grandkids.

A few hours after getting the acceptance call, I was like oh yeah, then texted my girlfriend "I got into dental school" and she texted back "F*%# off assh*le." It had been 2 months (?) since I had last seen her. In my single-minded quest of getting 4.0s to bring my low GPA up, I had unintentionally shunned her like a leper by flat out ignoring her (and everyone else's) calls/texts and absent-mindedly leaving my iphone on airplane mode for days on end. I feel bad for what happened.*Sigh* the price of success..

This started off happy then got sad lol

Congrats!! But why didn't you just tell your GF that you had to study? lol

That was a roller coaster.

Kudos to you for being able to focus. There was one girl I was so fixated on I was never able to study around her. Even now after we've broken up and dated other people I still can't ignore her comminiques for more than a few hours. And she knows it :(

Shoulda gone full airplane mode years ago

That was a roller coaster.

Kudos to you for being able to focus. There was one girl I was so fixated on I was never able to study around her. Even now after we've broken up and dated other people I still can't ignore her comminiques for more than a few hours. And she knows it :(

Shoulda gone full airplane mode years ago

Just block her number, not worth the trouble.

In my single-minded quest of getting 4.0s to bring my low GPA up, I had unintentionally shunned her like a leper by flat out ignoring her (and everyone else's) calls/texts and absent-mindedly leaving my iphone on airplane mode for days on end. I feel bad for what happened.*Sigh* the price of success..

I feel bad, but this is totally me right now. Hopefully it pays off.

Just block her number, not worth the trouble.
I did for six months. Started emailing me looking for a crying shoulder. I gave in. Blonde hair, blue eyes, rich dad, bubbly when she wants, pitiful when she wants...she just knit me a scarf for my birthday. Been writing down some lyrics to give her a song for valentines. I'm her bitch. Go on without me.

But I made straight A's in those 6 months, and by God I'll make straight A's in the next six months if it's the last thing I do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats!! But why didn't you just tell your GF that you had to study? lol
Im weak when it comes to girls. Initially I did call her to tell her Im going to study all day and almost every time I did we ended up spending the day together. The few times I did manage say no to her I couldnt get her out of my head when I studied. So I just put my phone on airplane mode and set it out of sight when I studied, so I wouldnt get distracted by anyone, including family/friends. I reacquainted myself with why I needed to succeed and I started building study momentum again and everything else that didnt concern my ultimate goal just faded away.

Everyone had such creative ideas! I am normally very creative. However, when I woke up and read on my phone that I received an email of acceptance I started crying and immediately called my mom and then my boyfriend who has also been accepted to dental school. I couldn't contain my excitement, so I called all my friends and family!

Im weak when it comes to girls. Initially I did call her to tell her Im going to study all day and almost every time I did we ended up spending the day together. The few times I did manage say no to her I couldnt get her out of my head when I studied. So I just put my phone on airplane mode and set it out of sight when I studied, so I wouldnt get distracted by anyone, including family/friends. I reacquainted myself with why I needed to succeed and I started building study momentum again and everything else that didnt concern my ultimate goal just faded away.

Haha aren't we all, bud. I hope everything is well now!

Im forever alone...

So I kind of dont have this problem.

I did for six months. Started emailing me looking for a crying shoulder. I gave in. Blonde hair, blue eyes, rich dad, bubbly when she wants, pitiful when she wants...she just knit me a scarf for my birthday. Been writing down some lyrics to give her a song for valentines. I'm her bitch. Go on without me.

But I made straight A's in those 6 months, and by God I'll make straight A's in the next six months if it's the last thing I do.

Kind of curious as how her rich dad plays into this. I have a feeling there's more to this.

Last edited:
Im forever alone...

So I kind of dont have this problem.

Kind of curious as how her rich dad plays into this. I have a feeling there's more to this.
Meh....she's a good person. Just doesn't have anything to worry about. So when I'm depressed about money or jobs, trying to study, or thinking about my life on a scale longer than the next few years.....it's hard to communicate. Our last breakup basically started gathering steam because I was broke and she couldn't understand why I was uncomfortable with her dad paying to fly me out to their Colorado ski cabin for Christmas.

I admire people like @Blake1e who are able to prioritize and focus. And although I'm interested in OMS I seriously doubt that by the time my number is called I will have cultivated a relationship to withstand the residency---based on my tendencies so far.

I was still home for Thanksgiving break on the morning of December 1st. I was up early that morning and was packing in my room to go back to school. My parents were downstairs when the call came at around 7:15 am. My mom heard me on the phone and came upstairs. The call was from my in-state school, which is the one we were hoping and praying for. I didn't think I had the stats to get accepted to this school, so when I got the call I started crying. My mom hugged me as I was on the phone and she teared up too... because this phone call was a dream come true for myself and my family. We told my dad the news immediately after and he started shouting from excitement. My parents had the biggest smile on their faces that morning. It was one of the best days of my life. I've never seen them look so proud.

Reactions: 9 users
I was told that acceptances would be emailed out at 6:00am from the only school I interviewed out. I even asked if I should wait until 7:30 or 8am to wake up to ensure the email was there, but was told that the school used an automated system and if it wasn't there at 6:00 on the dot then it would be there at 6:01 or 6:02. So I kept refreshing and kept refreshing. 7:10am came and went and I was resigned to the fact that I wasn't getting a Dec. 1st acceptance. I hopped in the shower and got out to the email waiting for me. It was finally sent at 7:25am.

I called my parents with a profanity laiden phone call. It was totally a joke but they thought I was mad. "Those guys said they would send out acceptances at 6am and I guess I'm not lucky enough. (More profanity). They didn't send out my acceptance until 7:25am. (More profanity)." My parents were so confused that it took them about a minute before they were like wait...did you just say you were accepted? I was so thrilled that being completely sarcastic and joking was the only way I could tell my parents without absolutely crying tears of joy. Proudest moment of my life so far.

Last edited:
I didn't sleep much that night and was exhausted by that morning. I kept refreshing my email and checking aadsas, both mobile and computer. At around 7am my mobile aadsas showed 6 acceptances which made me go nuts and me and my wife had a mini dance party which scared my little girl. After that I called my parents and my wife called her parents who were both screaming through the phones. Throughout the day the official emails rolled in, along with a few calls including a couple with scholarship offers and 2 additional acceptances. After one of the scholarship offers my wife and I were moved to tears as this was far beyond what we had envisioned the best case scenario being for our family. I called my parents who thought I was joking at first but who then were also moved to tears by the great news. December 1st will always bring a smile to my face.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Got a speeding ticket back in November so on December 1st, I called my parents and started asking them what lawyer I should get, then I switched it up on them by going "oh, yeah I also got into dental school."

Love all these stories! Keep them coming guys! :laugh:

On the morning of December 1st, I woke up at around 5AM to a noise made by my phone, I checked it (although knowing it wasn't an email) and it was some dumb text message from the MTA informing me of potential train delays >.>. I quickly checked my email anyways, and saw nothing from any school, esp. the one I was waiting on (NYUCD! :)) although I kept getting emails from the ***The Official NYU Class of 2019 Interview/Acceptance Thread*** here on SDN, haha. I remember seeing NYU's name in the emails that came from that SDN thread that early in the morning with such little mental awareness, and I kept thinking it was from the ACTUAL college, kept giving myself mini panic attacks. Anyways, fast-forward to around 6AM, my parents barge in happily asking what happened, and I once again, with a calm facade, checked my email with my heart racing unbelievably fast--nothing yet. It was also reassuring that no one else in the NYU thread had received an acceptance up until that point. I checked again 20 mins later or so but nothing; I went back to sleep. I woke up to my dad asking me VERY politely lol to check my email, it was now around 8AM, I figured okay... *heart beating like a monster* and as I scrolled through a bunch of messages from my college's bursar, and shopping invites, coupons, mlb.com news, weather forecasts etc... my eyes finally fixated on an email with the subject, "Congratulations and Welcome to the NYUCD Community!" and with the sleepiest yet happiest face that I can muster, I loudly said, "IT HAPPENED!" My beloved father hugged me as hard as I can ever imagine and kept saying CONGRATS, that embrace is something I'm going to remember forever, my mother was actually downstairs making tea haha, she quickly ran up after hearing us celebrating and gave me a hug and began to tear... BECAUSE MOTHERS <3 haha. Oh, man... what a beautiful dream come true.

Congratulations to everyone who got in, and may we have many, many more successes coming our way in the years ahead! :happy:

Reactions: 9 users
As a re-applicant for the 2017 cycle, I have been through a lot and reading these gives me great joy for y'all. This is just extra motivation for me to study. One day, I hope to write about my experiences for y'all. Please keep 'em coming! :D