How did your research interests devolp?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureapppsy2

Assistant professor
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I posted this on another thread, but figured it would make an interesting topic in and of itself.

My interests are in looking physical disability through a multicultural lenses, particularly looking at accommodation or lack thereof, resiliency, and attitudes. I'm also doing a project looking at efficacy and substance abuse/misuse treatment.

I had been (and actually still am) involved in psychopharmaceutical research during my freshman year as a pre-pharm major. When I became a psych major, it seemed natural to get involved ASAP in psych research (somewhere along the line, someone had drilled it into my head that research is very important for getting into grad school, though I honestly can't remember who or when). It was honestly a bit discouraging at first, as I switched majors at a midpoint somewhere in the Fall of my sophomore year and didn't get as many "bites" back about research as I had been expecting (I emailed professors whose interests seemed to mesh well with mine and wrote about my interests and background), and actually went into that Spring semester with no research options. Much to my surprise, I got an email early that semester inviting me to work in a multicultural psych lab.

I fell in love with multicultural and qualitative research and decided to continue on in the lab during the coming fall. That semester, I also asked my multicultural professor about the possibility of supervising an honors senior thesis for me the next year. She suggested that I just get started on it then, so I did.

That semester, I had approached a professor about her work in the field of disability, but due to a variety of conflicts, was not able to become really involved in her work until around December. As I've been working with her and implementing my multicultural thesis, I realized both the similarities between the ethnic minority that we primarily focus on in the multicultural lab (and that my thesis involves) and people with physical disabilities and the real limitations of being an "outgroup" researcher in multicultural psych. Thus, I began to realize that I could apply my love of and training in multicultural psych to "my" own culture--that of people with physical disabilities and that that "culture" really could be--and needed to be--studied in that way.

Members don't see this ad.

Our department hired another clinical psychologist my junior year (the only full-time clinical psychologist in our dept before this time wasn't doing clinical psych research). At this time, I was doing research with a social psychologist. Well, he just happened to be this clinical psychologist's husband, and, knowing I was interested in clinical psych, he recommended me to her. She let me join in on her research on mindfulness and eventually I fell in love with it.

Edit: Oh, to specify: my interests are in mindfulness, personality, and emotion. The other two came about through the research projects I worked on, as well as reading the literature.

Last edited:
edited for stealth mode!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I have been involved with a few areas of research, such as teen driving, HPV attitudes and behaviors, and aging research. Up to this point I am more focused on Neuropsyc, but with other interests in mind I'm keeping my options open until it's time to apply. :) My viewpoint in life is everything happens for a reason and I will find out my true path in due time, just like everyone around me.

I started working at a crisis center for at-risk teens because, quite honestly, it was an easy job to get right out of undergrad. I had only worked with adults in college/internships and was astounded at how much I enjoyed working with teenagers.

I then found an RA job studying Multisystemic Therapy for conduct disordered adolescents. That is my niche as of right now. I applied to programs that have a community/public policy focus because that's where my larger interests lie.

So many times during interviews other applicants looked at me like I was crazy for enjoying working with such a difficult population, but let me tell you, I am never bored... :)

Wildcat - are you familiar with the work of Nancy Boyd-Franklin? She works in the area of multisystems for African American children, adolescents & families.

Our department hired another clinical psychologist my junior year (the only full-time clinical psychologist in our dept before this time wasn't doing clinical psych research). At this time, I was doing research with a social psychologist. Well, he just happened to be this clinical psychologist's husband, and, knowing I was interested in clinical psych, he recommended me to her. She let me join in on her research on mindfulness and eventually I fell in love with it.

Edit: Oh, to specify: my interests are in mindfulness, personality, and emotion. The other two came about through the research projects I worked on, as well as reading the literature.

Cara - I was wondering if you do work relating to the intersection of personality and mindfulness. More specifically, I've always been curious as to whether there's research on the "fit" between mindfulness approaches and certain personality styles (e.g., histrionic vs. more obsessional).:idea:

That's actually the area I'm hoping to go into! I'll PM you with some of the studies I hope to do in grad school. ;)

Edit: Oh, I should add that I was actually wrong in what I wrote; the professor I work with currently actually does look at personality and mindfulness, so my interest also stems from that. I think I implied that in my earlier post, but just to clarify.

Last edited:
Wildcat - are you familiar with the work of Nancy Boyd-Franklin? She works in the area of multisystems for African American children, adolescents & families.

Hey psychmama, I'm not familiar with Boyd-Franklin. I'm interested in minority populations but have focused more on research with Hispanic populations. Where is Dr. Boyd-Franklin?

I started working at a crisis center for at-risk teens because, quite honestly, it was an easy job to get right out of undergrad. I had only worked with adults in college/internships and was astounded at how much I enjoyed working with teenagers.

I then found an RA job studying Multisystemic Therapy for conduct disordered adolescents. That is my niche as of right now. I applied to programs that have a community/public policy focus because that's where my larger interests lie.

So many times during interviews other applicants looked at me like I was crazy for enjoying working with such a difficult population, but let me tell you, I am never bored... :)

Wow, the only time I raised my voice to a client was with a true CD gal. I'll never forget her face... though I think I blocked out her name that day. Pigtails and a bad attitude... You are my hero.

On a side note, MST is the only community based therapy I'm behind... but it just is SO underfunded in my state and seems to be so expensive to handle correctly.

Good luck with your research.

Hey psychmama, I'm not familiar with Boyd-Franklin. I'm interested in minority populations but have focused more on research with Hispanic populations. Where is Dr. Boyd-Franklin?

Hi. She is a professor at Rutgers who's interests are the intersection of minority populations, especially African American (although not exclusively) and families. She wrote Black Families in Therapy, a book which contains a section addressing the importance of a multisystems approach when working with families, especially from traditionally disadvantaged populations. Anyway - when you mentioned mutisystemic approaches, she came to my mind. I've had her for several classes, and learned a lot from her. THe knowledge I gained really came in handy when I worked with families in my agency practicum several years ago. I learned that doing therapy is just not enough to help many people.:)

Hi. She is a professor at Rutgers who's interests are the intersection of minority populations, especially African American (although not exclusively) and families. She wrote Black Families in Therapy, a book which contains a section addressing the importance of a multisystems approach when working with families, especially from traditionally disadvantaged populations. Anyway - when you mentioned mutisystemic approaches, she came to my mind. I've had her for several classes, and learned a lot from her. THe knowledge I gained really came in handy when I worked with families in my agency practicum several years ago. I learned that doing therapy is just not enough to help many people.:)

Her husband is A.J. Franklin, who is a professor and chair at BC. He does similar work dealing with Black men and the two have written books together. You may also be interested in his work or the social justice-focused framework of the BC program.

Her husband is A.J. Franklin, who is a professor and chair at BC. He does similar work dealing with Black men and the two have written books together. You may also be interested in his work or the social justice-focused framework of the BC program.

Yeah, I'll definitely look into those two. Their work sounds fascinating. But I have already found my program... :)

I completely agree. I have really enjoyed studying MST and in fact it's the only type of therapy I've had much exposure to. I think that my training in more traditional forms of therapy might be a bit of a culture shock.