How difficult is it to transfer dental schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youraverageasia

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity how difficult would it be to transfer to another school after your first year? I'm thinking of going to a private school and transferring to my state school after my 1st year for the cheaper tuition. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

not that I heard of. for other reasons but not financial reason.

or you can withdraw and reapply next year with associated risk.

So you're automatically assuming you'll get into your state school?

Members don't see this ad :)
So you're automatically assuming you'll get into your state school?
Of course not. Thats why I'm asking how difficult it is. If I don't get the transfer I'll still be fine, it's just the cheaper tuition would be nice.

Extremely difficult. Don't do it.

Reactions: 1 users
Depends on the school. If the first year classes are similar for both schools, the transfer will be easier as long as you prove you can do well (getting all A's). You will need to keep close contact with the other school's dean and let them know your plan so they can work with your school.

this does not make sense, if you transfer in as a D2, then one D2 at the state school must drop. or else, where is the space?

hence, if no one drops (most likely), you cant transfer.

Reactions: 1 user
If you can not get into your state dental school because you have poor performance which has caused you to not meet the criteria for admission than you do NOT deserve it. Do not waste your time, your money, and the interviewer's time of the private dental school. Any school that chooses to have you as a student expects a commitment because the school believed that you have the ability and work ethic to succeed in their curriculum. That spot could be reserved for someone more qualified. Students like you do not belong in the field of Dentistry.

If you can not get into your state dental school because you have poor performance which has caused you to not meet the criteria for admission than you do NOT deserve it. Do not waste your time, your money, and the interviewer's time of the private dental school. Any school that chooses to have you as a student expects a commitment because the school believed that you have the ability and work ethic to succeed in their curriculum. That spot could be reserved for someone more qualified. Students like you do not belong in the field of Dentistry.
That escalated quickly.

Reactions: 13 users
So I had a scheduled interview earlier this month but a personal matter came up and I ended up being unable to go. Is there any possibility of asking for a rescheduled interview?

If I'm not planning on practicing in New York (ideally somewhere in the west coast) is NYU worth attending? They're my only acceptance.

NYU interview 2/25

I like how you've assumed you'd get into somewhere twice already. Besides that, transferring dental schools is extremely difficult and not usually pursued-for good reason. Courses will likely not transfer and in many cases, you'd need to do D1 over again. This is all after the deans at both schools sanction the transfer-you'd need a decent reason, such as a spouse. I have little to no experience in the matter, but [it's closer to home or the tuition is cheaper] most likely won't cut it at all.

Reactions: 4 users
I've only heard of one dental student successfully transferring from Colorado to Baylor two years ago, and that was because she got married and her husband needed to move to Dallas. In general, transferring dental schools is extremely difficult because each school has a different curriculum and finite resources.
Note to self: marry a Texan and transfer to reap them tuition prices.

Reactions: 1 user