How do I classify my job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eschaton88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a sophomore currently working in a clinical/research neuromuscular lab. Basically what I do is make slides of patient's biopsies, and file their records plus some stocking sort of work. This is a clinical lab in that it directly deals with patients and diagnosies, but I have very little patient contact. (I've only got to "help" with 2 biopsies.)

So for apps or resumes or whatevs how exactly do I classify this? I don't consider it clinical experience since I'm not actually interacting with patients - just their tissues - but I'm not over in the research side very often either. It still seems like it would be medically relevant....

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a sophomore currently working in a clinical/research neuromuscular lab. Basically what I do is make slides of patient's biopsies, and file their records plus some stocking sort of work. This is a clinical lab in that it directly deals with patients and diagnosies, but I have very little patient contact. (I've only got to "help" with 2 biopsies.)

So for apps or resumes or whatevs how exactly do I classify this? I don't consider it clinical experience since I'm not actually interacting with patients - just their tissues - but I'm not over in the research side very often either. It still seems like it would be medically relevant....

Sounds more administrative, but maybe you could call it "research." Definitely doesn't sound clinical though.

How much research are you actually doing. It sounds like a job, not research to me. If it is a job, you may classify yourself as a lab tech.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, I know it's not clinical.... that's the problem, I don't get to DO any of the research, I just make the slides or prep tissues. I think lab tech sounds about right.

But then last year I was doing the usual undergrad scutwork in a research lab, how is that viewed? Is it all just tech stuff unless you have your own project?

Thanks for your responses and help!

Sounds like you're a lab tech. Be very careful calling these research on your apps unless you really understood what was going on and have good insight into it. You might end up with me or another guy like me as your interviewer. I would want to know details about your research and that you understood what was going on and that you had great insights into the work and where it's going.

There's no dishonor in being a laboratory technician. We all need money, and it is a decent medically related job.

Employment, non-military. Trust me on this.

If you aren't being paid, you might want to call it volunteer, non-clinical or research but make it abundantly clear in the write-up that you did routine tasks in the lab and were not directly involved in the research questions.

Thanks, I know it's just a job but I was hoping it was medically relevant - I have to work as part of my finacial aid so I don't have a ton of time left for volunteering. It's still better than working in the bookstore tho, right? At least I'm learning some useful skills...I hope....

Thanks, I know it's just a job but I was hoping it was medically relevant - I have to work as part of my finacial aid so I don't have a ton of time left for volunteering. It's still better than working in the bookstore tho, right? At least I'm learning some useful skills...I hope....

employment non-military is perfectly fine. The fact that you are learning skills that might be useful in medicine is good, too. At some point you may want to be involved in a research project (some people do this for academic credit but it is ok to list it as an "experience" too) and you should spend some free time in service to others-- some of that should be in a setting where you are in close proxiimity to patients.

Try to get beyond classifying your job. How well can you explain the science and biology of what you're doing? If you can tell a good story and explain why you have such an interest in such work, then you can have a very positive experience.