Pharmacy How do I get into pharmacy school with a bachelor’s degree in education earned outside the US?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lord999

Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am wondering how difficult it is to get into pharmacy school with a bachelor’s degree earned outside the US. I already had my transcript evaluated. I have a GPA of 3.59.

You have to have the prerequisites (Chemistries and Biologies) and then have your transcript examined. You should work in one as a tech before considering going to pharmacy school as the risk-reward is so different these days.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest that you take some science classes in the US first. Check the prerequisites and don't overlook the need to have strong English communication. I agree that you should also do whatever you can to get insight as a pharmacist through shadowing or working as a technician before starting that path in earnest.

Members don't see this ad :)
In case you're not aware, the majority of programs in the U.S. utilize a central application service known as PharmCAS (Pharmacy College Application Service). This is a web-link service that colleges use to collect all pertinent information catered to their program (transcripts, references, essays, experience, etc.). This process is going to evaluate each of your courses taken outside the U.S. and submit it all directly to your programs of choice.

Many programs also provide a "soft" transcript submission that you can send directly to the program(s) to have your courses personally examined by admin to see if prerequisite courses would be approved. I would highly take advantage of this as you will need to pay to submit your information for every program listed through PharmCAS and not every program may accept your evaluated transcripts. Also, if english is your second language, programs you apply to may require you to take a test known as TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) as part of your required submission material.

Presuming you've met the basic credentials to apply to pharmacy school, I would second the statement mentioned above to work as a technician in a pharmacy environment to get an idea of what it is you're truly preparing for as the job-market is not what it was 15 years ago. You'll also need to consider if you would qualify for student loans as an eligible noncitizen or if you'll need to get approved for multiple private loans to get through schooling (anticipate 200k+ in student loans with compounded interest).

If you understand what the tunnel may look like after graduation, then I would say your GPA stats would open opportunities for interviews depending on the rest of your application.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do pharmacy schools require you complete a bachelors degree or just prerequisites?
Technically prerequisites, but realistically a Bachelors or equivalent unless they have either extensive experience or a reputation within the industry already (long-time paraprofessional).

Status
Not open for further replies.