How do I get research experience when I have NONE!? Soo frustrated!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

js1221

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a masters degree in rehab/community counseling from a CACREP/CORE accredited program. I am considering psych doc programs for continued education. I have discovered the importnace of having prior research experience (especially for PhD programs) but in general it looks like all psych doc programs would like to see it. Here is the deal. My masters did not require a thesis or dissertation. I took research methods, and an assessment class (covered various testing and stat concepts - Weschsler, MMPI, etc.) as required by the masters program. That and other than doing research papers for grad school, that is the EXTENT of my research experience. How the heck does someone in my situation get valuable research experience that a psych doc program would value?? Having taken research methods four years ago now, I'm a bit out of date on methods. To find a lab that would hire someone in my situation as a research assistant is not going to happen. The only thing I can think to do is contact research profs and research firms to either volunteer my time and gain whatever scraps of experience I can. I will have to say... after months of investigating all that goes in to applying and gaining acceptance to a psych doc program, I'm feeling discouraged. Most things I have pursued in life and worked at, I have done well at, and I've always been able to get in any degree program I desired on the first try... but... this is different... it seems like getting in psych doctoral programs is somewhat like breaking down a large brick wall, to get to the other side, and each brick takes all one's strength to knock out. :confused: Advice please... "yeah I know I said the dirty word that counselors are taught to avoid..."advice". ok, whatever.........suggestions, thoughts....................The transition from counselor ed to psych isn't feeling like a friendly one right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have a masters degree in rehab/community counseling from a CACREP/CORE accredited program. I am considering psych doc programs for continued education. I have discovered the importnace of having prior research experience (especially for PhD programs) but in general it looks like all psych doc programs would like to see it. Here is the deal. My masters did not require a thesis or dissertation. I took research methods, and an assessment class (covered various testing and stat concepts - Weschsler, MMPI, etc.) as required by the masters program. That and other than doing research papers for grad school, that is the EXTENT of my research experience. How the heck does someone in my situation get valuable research experience that a psych doc program would value?? Having taken research methods four years ago now, I'm a bit out of date on methods. To find a lab that would hire someone in my situation as a research assistant is not going to happen. The only thing I can think to do is contact research profs and research firms to either volunteer my time and gain whatever scraps of experience I can. I will have to say... after months of investigating all that goes in to applying and gaining acceptance to a psych doc program, I'm feeling discouraged. Most things I have pursued in life and worked at, I have done well at, and I've always been able to get in any degree program I desired on the first try... but... this is different... it seems like getting in psych doctoral programs is somewhat like breaking down a large brick wall, to get to the other side, and each brick takes all one's strength to knock out. :confused: Advice please... "yeah I know I said the dirty word that counselors are taught to avoid..."advice". ok, whatever.........suggestions, thoughts....................The transition from counselor ed to psych isn't feeling like a friendly one right now.

Most people work under professors/in a professor's lab while enrolled, usually starting in mid undergrad. If you didnt do this, you probably are going be relegated to volunteering at any place that will take you. Your masters, even though not research oriented, may give you somewhat of a leg up over the younger crowd but probably wont make you more compettive for paid RA/lab manager gigs.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was in the same boat as you one year ago. A clinically focused MA, no research experience. I sent out about 50 emails to faculty asking to let me volunteer, and applied for volunteer research gigs geared towards undergrads at Big Name U near me. It worked out well for me.

What type of PhD program are you trying to get into? Try to get research experience in that concentration (or as close as possible), because you will need to be able to speak intelligently regarding the field. Familiarize yourself with the literature and current trends. In contacting professors, talk about the research you have read--especially the professor's own research--and tell them what interests you and why you wish to work with them specifically. You will need to do this when you apply for PhD programs.

I think you can still find some adequate research experience. I had absolutely zero applied research experience during my undergraduate years (3.5) because my psych dept did not have any "labs" where students could volunteer. Upon graduation I was hired as a research assistant at a major medical university and got several years worth of experience that way. My advice would be to look for such type of postions under any medical universities (if there are any in your area). Especially look for research programs that are looking for "research therapists" "interventionists," or "clinical research" positions.

You can really advertise yourself with a MA (clinical) degree and find a clinical-research position, for example by implementing therapy protocols in a psychosocial intervention study. Also, with a MA degree, I think you could find some research assistant positions in such settings that value the maturity, experience, and professionalism. Feel free to PM me if you would like any other specific suggestions or more details about such jobs. Good luck!

You can really advertise yourself with a MA (clinical) degree and find a clinical-research position, for example by implementing therapy protocols in a psychosocial intervention study. Also, with a MA degree, I think you could find some research assistant positions in such settings that value the maturity, experience, and professionalism. Feel free to PM me if you would like any other specific suggestions or more details about such jobs. Good luck!

Totally agree with this!

Have you thought about applying at the VA? At times, there are paid research positions available though usajobs.gov. Also, look at medical facilities too!