How do I go about establishing a medical non-profit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorDrewOutsidetheLines

Pink Panther & Hope Diamond
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm premed and I have this great idea for a nonprofit but I have absolutely no business acumen or educational background. I know I need grant money...? And a ton of other things.

Note: I'm not doing this because I want to get into medical school. This nonprofit would serve a need dear to my heart by providing underserved communities with life-sustaining needs and I have a personal vested interest in the idea. I have no clue where to start or what to do. Or even if started how to get the word out to those who'd need it.

Business people, please help me save the world! :)

Members don't see this ad.

You need 501c3 status to be a tax exempt non-profit in this country. The company I work with was recently approved, but it takes lots of time and paperwork. It took us over a year to get status. You're not going to be able to do this on your own, one of requirements for status is to have a board of directors, bylaws...etc. First step is to find a core group of people who are on board with your idea. Honestly, its probably not feasible at your level. I'm not going to walk you through the process as there are tons of online resources.

Not feasible? I've done some research and it's entirely possible. Time-wise is where I may run into issues. But the further along in life I get, the less time I may have to get this off the ground.