How do I increase my chances of getting in?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Khanalily

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've decided to take a year off before applying to med. school. How do I use that year off to increase my chances of getting in? Any advice? Would working in a health related field be a better option or getting a master in Biochem? Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Get some experience, do some research. MPH would be nice if you are really interested in health related stuff. Volunteering even would be nice (but not too much, use the rest of your time for a paying-job, ie, EMT-good experience)

I took two years off to boost my resume, and to study/take the MCAT. During that time I worked in Patient care in a hospital as basicallt a nurses aid/CNA. It was a wonderful experience, and I'd reccommend it to anybody searching for a way to strengthen their chances. It will also help you to decide if medicine is really what you want to do, because you will see it first hand, up close and personal, knee deep in c-diff stool cultures, and necrotic bed sores. This experience made me a much stronger candidate, and will make me a better physician too. Good luck, and feel free to post specific questions about the CNA gig!

Members don't see this ad :)
How is working as a CNA? I'm thinking of the doing the same thing, since it would take me a year to get my EMT. But I've heard that CNA is mostly just changing bedpans and bathing patients. What types of things did you do?
Originally posted by Mango:
I took two years off to boost my resume, and to study/take the MCAT. During that time I worked in Patient care in a hospital as basicallt a nurses aid/CNA. It was a wonderful experience, and I'd reccommend it to anybody searching for a way to strengthen their chances. It will also help you to decide if medicine is really what you want to do, because you will see it first hand, up close and personal, knee deep in c-diff stool cultures, and necrotic bed sores. This experience made me a much stronger candidate, and will make me a better physician too. Good luck, and feel free to post specific questions about the CNA gig!

Sorry it took me so long to reply, I've been moving! School starts tomorrow, yikes! Anyhow, here's a response I wrote a few months ago about my experiences as a Patient Care Tech at a large urban hospital:

I graduated from college in '98 with a BS in Bio and I was always planning on going to Med school. But I had the same problem as you-- no experience. Sure I'd shadowed MD's and volunteered, but that crap won't get you accepted! So I spent the entire summer after graduation trying (as you are) to find a GOOD job in the healthcare field to help me gain experience.
I quickly found out exactly what you did, there is very little you can do, other than the CNA thing. I live in a large city with like ten hospitals, and I found that one of them would train me themselves. That was nice since I didn't have to take a state-based CNA course. I will tell you though, whether you take the state course (usually taught at a community college) or are trained by the hospital, the class will be rediculously easy for you! Yes, the people who work as Nurses Aides are not usually college grads like you and I. But actually a lot of them are nursing students.

Anyhow, I took the job, and was sure to tell the Human Resourses office, and my manager that I was planning on going to Med school in a couple years. I though that I should warn them that I was planning to leave (that's only fair). Since I had no previous experience they put me on a general Medical/Surgical floor of the hospital. My job was less than glamorous, but priceless! I was paid a measely $9 an hour, and had to work 12 hour shifts. The job began at 7am, when I met my partner RN for the day, and our 6-10 patients that were assigned to us. I would take thier vital signs every 4 hours, and thier blood sugars as needed. Yes, I had to help all of them take thier daily baths, and when they were unable, I gave them a complete bath myself. When they were incontinent, I cleaned them up. I was taught to insert catheters, remove IV's and NG tubes, give tube feeding, take care of ventilated patients, suction tracheostomies and ET tubes, helped MD's with procedures like inserting chest tubes, spinal taps, central lines, ect, and I changed many types of dressings (including wet to dry dressings on bed sores!). When a patient coded, I helped the team resuscitate them, and when they died, I put them in their body bag. These things are hard, I will not lie to you. but in the 18 months that I worked on that floor, I learned more than you can ever imagine.

I learned how to take care of patients, I mean really take care of their needs. I learned medical termonology, and how a hospital works. I learned to take samples of everything from blood to urine, stool, and wound cultures. I was in the room when patients were taken off thier ventalators and allowed to die, I was there when doctors did procedures, I was there when we rushed people to emergency surgery, and I was there to initiate CPR on my patients when they coded. I also learned the invaluable ability to work with nurses. They are SO important you can't imagine. They can be your biggest ally, or your strongest foe as an MD, if you only treat them the way the deserve to be treated. All of these things I learned in my position as the lowly Bedpan Jockey!

So, what was the result? Well, my GPA in college was less that stellar (3.3/4.0). My MCAT scores were high. But it was my job as a Nurses Aide that got me accepted to three Med schools this year. Every single interviewer asked about it, and they were all extremely impressed! It also gave me a gret personal statement topic. So if you can swing it financially, I encourage anybody whos interested in going to med school, but needs a boost to their resume, get a job at a hospital as a nurses aide. NOT at a nursing home, you will learn nothing there except that nursing homes are horrible. I hope this info helped you! Good Luck

Mango
MS1

Meghan or anyone who is pursuing medical field,

I have been working as a clinical technician for couple of months and I totally agree with you!!!
smile.gif
After I graduated from college last Dec.99 , I decided to be pre-med and got this job. It's a great experience. I'm having invigorous experience although I abhor cleaning poops! But that's not the whole picture I'm talking about.
Well it actually depends on which unit you are working at. The best advanatages in this job is that I have to do phleobotomy, setting up IVs plus all the other responsibilities that Meghan told.

However, my problem is my GPA sucks!! I've been telling this to everyone... and complaining that English is my second language. I know I even get tired of myself thinking about it. But I know it doesn't mean that I can never go to medical school.
I was just a crazy party girl in college.
(Not anymore!)
tongue.gif

Anyway, my question is how long is enough to work as a clinical technician or CNA ? To me, I need to retake or take lots of courses to boost my gpa. I'm thinking to quit this job after a year of full-time work and enter post-bacc pre-med program so that I can take 18crd - 20crd per semester and ace almost every new high-level science courses. I want to work as a part-time clin. tech but I don't think I could manage to get super grades and prepare for MCAT if I also work at the same time.
What is the imperative thing? Grades? or a year more of experience? I would probably say grades right??? Any thought on this??
I would really appreciate it!!
smile.gif

I don't know how low your grades were, but as I said my GPA was only 3.3 at a small private school. I figured I should work as a tech at least a year. I ended up staying almost 18 months. I think I would have stayed up until the start of med school (tomorrow!!), but I had to quit due to other reasons. When I interviewed, I had been working for just over a year.

I think you should committ to at least one if not two years as a CNA to really make a difference. You need that long to learn enough about patient care to make the effort worth while. Plus, if like me, you are trained by the hospital, it may be two to three months before you are on your own with your own Pts to care for.

I honestly beleive that my work as a PCT was the key to my being accepted. With a 3.3 and a 30 MCAT, I was a very borderline candidate. That job experience was enough to push me into the accepted pile. And more importantly, it gave me skills that will make me a better physician someday!

Mango,

I am curious as to why you refer to shadowing a physician as "crap." Did you not find it to be a valuable experience?

I shadowed an Orthopod for a week before I worked as a PCT. He allowed me to observe his daily office Pts (basically just a bunch of cortisone injections into joints), and he allowed me to watch him operate. These experiences were valuable, don't get me wrong, my point was that anybody can do the whole "follow-a-doctor-around" deal. But not many applicants actually put forth the effort to get a job in Pt care so that they can have their OWN patients to care for. This is the key to equation. If you really need help boosting your resume, or if you really want to learn something about Pt care, you need to get a full time in a hospital. It's a wonderful experience that I highly recommend.
smile.gif

I spent most of my summer working in a hospital operating room. I usually worked from 12-5 in the afternoon and some days I came in early to work from 7am-4pm. As part of the agreement I had I was allowed to watch procedures with many different surgeons. In 8 weeks I saw procedures with ENTs, a ton of ortho stuff, some laproscopic stuff, a few obsteric (sp?) procedures, and one trauma. In addition to that I learned what it was to be in a medical setting day in and day out. This summer made me become absolutly determined to become a surgeon. Plus, I got to know a few surgeons, so hopefully I will be in a postion to ask for a recomedation when the time comes.

Challenge -- who situation mirrors mine -- mentioned doing phlebotomy as part of her hospital job. They're a dying breed, but some hospitals/clinics/etc use phlebotomists for part or all of the day for drawing blood from patients and sometimes putting in the occasional IV. This is also a good way to gain experience and patient contact while getting paid (some places better than others) for it. I've been doing it for two years while getting an MSPH.

In addition to the patient contact I also have met and spoken with numerous DOs and MDs, not to mention medical students, PA students, and the like. This can definitely be beneficial, since there will be several times over the course of your employment where an M3 or M4 will come up to you and say, "Oh GOD, I forgot to order Ms. X's labs -- can you draw those and run them to the lab for me, like, STAT?!? You'd be saving my butt," or when some senior resident says "Mr. Z is bradying down/in danger of bleeding out/whatever -- it's VERY important that we get labs NOW; could you take care of that for me?" This is especially nice not only because you really do help these patients out by getting results to the nurses and doctors quickly, but, on a more self-serving note, there are a few adcom members (an M3 and two MDs) who work on my floor. They may remember me when it comes interview time, and there's no doubt I'll be asked about my experiences -- which have been amazing on the whole -- by somebody during this application process.

So, just something else to think about if you're trying to improve your chances and get more HC-related experience. Continued good fortune to all...

--Wheels

Thank-you every one for your advice and opinions. I've been thinking about getting a MS in Public Health since Loma Linda University is offering it in an accelerated one year program. MANGO had mentioned that it is best to get a job as a CNA in a hospital, but is it easy to get a position without any experience? Please give some feedbacks on how to find jobs at hospitals or clinics. Do you think that it is possible to do both a MSPH and a health-related job? Thanks again for all your help.

I did the exact same thing this summer. I've seen a large amount of cases. They cover a vast amount of subspecialties: eye, oral (glossectomy, oral implant removal), general (there were a lot of these, mainly inguinal hernias), cardiothoracic (pneumonectomies, lobectomies, endovascular grafts), orthopaedic (total knee arthoplasties [TKA]), and a lot of other procedures that I don't know how to classify (tracheostomies,orchiectomies(OUCH!), and a lot of minimally invasive lipoma removals). All this experience with different surgeons, who frequently asked who the stranger in the OR was (me), and who didn't remain a stranger for long, has initiated and supplemented my utter fascination with and admiration of surgery. I disagree that this type of shadowing is less valuable than working as a CNA. Although CNA work isn't a cake walk, that's what pre-nursing students do. If you want to be a doctor, do pre-med stuff. It probably won't hurt you to work as a CNA, but it brings to mind something a fellow student said to me regarding the adcoms attitudes. They tend to look at people who lean towards other health professions as not as determined as someone who sticks to their pre-med philosophies and goals. You should try to keep to a minimum your involvement in non pre-med related activities. I'm not saying that working as a CNA will hurt you, not at all. I'm just saying that maybe getting more actively involved in a more physician-oriented facet of healthcare (such as a local clinic)and doing something there that significantly facilitates their way of dealing with patients will demonstrate more determination towards becoming a doctor. I have a friend who did just that, she coordinated a pre-natal education initiative in a local clinic. Basically she educated young mothers in the inner city about pregnancy and pregnancy related issues. This significantly helped her out, she got in on the first try despite a relatively low GPA and average MCAT. She's starting at GWU this fall. So I would definitely try to do something original and more physician-oriented rather than dabble in the nursing field. Just my take on it.
smile.gif

-imtiaz

Originally posted by mackel:
I spent most of my summer working in a hospital operating room. I usually worked from 12-5 in the afternoon and some days I came in early to work from 7am-4pm. As part of the agreement I had I was allowed to watch procedures with many different surgeons. In 8 weeks I saw procedures with ENTs, a ton of ortho stuff, some laproscopic stuff, a few obsteric (sp?) procedures, and one trauma. In addition to that I learned what it was to be in a medical setting day in and day out. This summer made me become absolutly determined to become a surgeon. Plus, I got to know a few surgeons, so hopefully I will be in a postion to ask for a recomedation when the time comes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, it's possible to work at a health-care-related job and get a master's degree. That's what I'm doing, just like many others on and off this board. Not to sound trite, but it really is all about time management. I WILL say that the people I work with are very good about helping me schedule my work hours around classes and test times, etc., so that's important; it's actually helped me to throw in more of the conventionally-called "hard science" courses with the public health classes which are part of the MPH program. But it's certainly possible.

--Wheels

Don't get me wrong, I think trying to get these experiences is a nice idea, especially if your grades are below par and you need to push yourself over the edge.

but look, your goal is to become a doctor (getting into med school...). Yet you spend all this time actually going into careers such as nursing and EMT's where people spend their whole lives. Yet you go in there with intentions of leaving in a year. Not to mention what you'll be doing won't have much to do with the job description of a physiciain (yes, a nurse's job is a lot different).

To say that volunteering in a hospital and watching real physicians at work, or shadowing a physician and being even closer to the action is Inferior to getting paid for helping elderly sick people turn over in their beds is completely ludicrous. Believe me, ad com's know very well about this.

If you want a sure-proof way of getting in, do a post-bac or masters, score high MCATs, and work on your attitude. You will get plenty of experience in med school and beyond, what do you think residency was created for (except cheap labor) ?

I somewhat agree with limit.
The reason I got this a job as a clinical technician was that this expereince allow myself to understand hospital setting, nurses' work , medical terminology, and many other technical skills like phleobotomy or IVs which all of them brings strong foundation to become a great physician. Physicians obviously have to know how to interact with patients and nurses in great respect.
However, some old physicians who never had clinical experience tend to be very arrogant, cocky and treat nurses with condescending attitude.
In these days, you will see how nurses are so well educated and so important in the health-care field.

What I'm trying to say is that working as a CNA or patient care tech actually opens the door for health-care field in a real world and allow us to give heart and soul to the patient.
But people who want to become a physician should also have in mind that giving heart and soul and great desire to help patient directly are not key to become a great physician. It is definitely key to become a great nurse though.
I would say balancing your experience as a nurse-oriented work and a physician-oriented work is fairly enough.
And the rest of the time, just study hard, keep your grades up.
smile.gif

Originally posted by imtiaz:
Although CNA work isn't a cake walk, that's what pre-nursing students do. If you want to be a doctor, do pre-med stuff. It probably won't hurt you to work as a CNA, but it brings to mind something a fellow student said to me regarding the adcoms attitudes. They tend to look at people who lean towards other health professions as not as determined as someone who sticks to their pre-med philosophies and goals. You should try to keep to a minimum your involvement in non pre-med related activities. I'm not saying that working as a CNA will hurt you, not at all. I'm just saying that maybe getting more actively involved in a more physician-oriented facet of healthcare (such as a local clinic)and doing something there that significantly facilitates their way of dealing with patients will demonstrate more determination towards becoming a doctor.

Wow, your friend could not be more wrong. Incidentaly, I am a med student who has been through the admissions process from start to finish, and who is a part of a class of 165 other med students who have shared their experiences with me. I feel that makes me qulified to say that what you said above is absolutely rediculous.

I am speaking of this idea that being a CNA strays away from the "Doctor" role, and therefore makes adcoms think that you have "Strayed away from your Premed goals!!!!" Yikes. Why do you think I was there everyday for 12 hours cleaning incontinent Pts, and putting in foleys? Because I wanted to be a nurse? No. Absolutely not. And I gaurentee to all of you out there that every adcom who saw my resume was 100% sure that my work as a CNA was to advance my goals of being a PHYSICIAN. And they were all incredibly IMPRESSED with what I did. Every damn interview I was asked in depth about my work, and every interviewer made comments about how much I knew about Pt care. I was told again and again that I would be at a huge advantage over my classmates because of haveing experienced how hospitalized Pts should be cared for. Not to mention how nurses should be treated!

You also said people should get involved in a "more physician-oriented facet of healthcare." What is more physician oriented than hospital care? I dealt with docs DAILY. And I learned much more about PATIENT CARE than any student who stood over the shoulder of a surgeon while he operated. It is PATIENT CARE that schools are emphasizing now. Not just passive shadowing roles. I was ACTIVELY involved in the day to day care of hospitalized Pts. Now answer me one question, and I will end my rant. Do you actually think that my job as a CNA actively caring for Pts, was looked as LESS impressive than your hours of standing and watching a surgeon operate? Please...

One last thing, this attitude you have about "Physician-oriented tasks" and all other tasks left for those who must bow down and obey the all mighty MD, is bull****. We are all a team. You might want to think about that a little bit before you start interviewing...

Whoa! Calm down! I didn't mean to offend you at all. I didn't say working as a CNA would hurt you, or be looked at as something inferior. Sure, you get a large amount of very direct patient care, and a lot of patient responsibility. And this is very obviously advantageous. Also, I didn't claim to be more "qualified" than you or anything of that nature. My involvement was minimal, to say the least. Of course if you and me were head to heat competing for a seat, you would probably secure the seat. I didn't mean that you were "less qualified" at all. I understand that nurses and doctors are a team, and their roles are interrated. But you can't deny that working as a CNA is something that pre-nursing students do. That's the only point I was making. What do pre-nursing students do? THEY put in foleys and help incontinent patients. That's what makes them pre-nursing. Again, I'm not saying that this HURTS a pre-MED student if s/he opted to partake in these activities. But undoubtedly, it is a "nursing-oriented" task? Isn't it? Okay, you are correct about what the adcoms think about this, but you can't be certain. Yes, you have been through interviews, but your experiences at these interviews and at which schools they were conducted also has a part in the respective adcoms' attitudes at those schools. And I for one, would not risk it. I would just participate in more "traditional" pre-med activities (shadowing, volunteering) that "work" to get you into medical school. To say that working as a CNA is a "sure-fire" way to improve your chances to get into medical school is WRONG! This type of work is the exception rather than the norm, that's all I'm saying. Yes, it can help you stand out. Yes, it is beneficial. I have nothing against it, it's just it's not something that I've frequently heard of being suggested to pre-med students. And this is what you were suggesting to other pre-meds. Which is why I made my statement. Anyway, I hope you understand the take-home points. 1)I have nothing against CNAs or nurses. 2)Working as a CNA will not hurt you in your quest to medical school. 3)Adcoms DONT necessarily look at CNA work as inferior. 4)Doctors and nurses are a team, and I never have nor ever will have the attitude that MDs are "superior." More qualified, but not superior. I hope this clears things up.

-imtiaz

Originally posted by Mango:

Wow, your friend could not be more wrong. Incidentaly, I am a med student who has been through the admissions process from start to finish, and who is a part of a class of 165 other med students who have shared their experiences with me. I feel that makes me qulified to say that what you said above is absolutely rediculous.

I am speaking of this idea that being a CNA strays away from the "Doctor" role, and therefore makes adcoms think that you have "Strayed away from your Premed goals!!!!" Yikes. Why do you think I was there everyday for 12 hours cleaning incontinent Pts, and putting in foleys? Because I wanted to be a nurse? No. Absolutely not. And I gaurentee to all of you out there that every adcom who saw my resume was 100% sure that my work as a CNA was to advance my goals of being a PHYSICIAN. And they were all incredibly IMPRESSED with what I did. Every damn interview I was asked in depth about my work, and every interviewer made comments about how much I knew about Pt care. I was told again and again that I would be at a huge advantage over my classmates because of haveing experienced how hospitalized Pts should be cared for. Not to mention how nurses should be treated!

You also said people should get involved in a "more physician-oriented facet of healthcare." What is more physician oriented than hospital care? I dealt with docs DAILY. And I learned much more about PATIENT CARE than any student who stood over the shoulder of a surgeon while he operated. It is PATIENT CARE that schools are emphasizing now. Not just passive shadowing roles. I was ACTIVELY involved in the day to day care of hospitalized Pts. Now answer me one question, and I will end my rant. Do you actually think that my job as a CNA actively caring for Pts, was looked as LESS impressive than your hours of standing and watching a surgeon operate? Please...

One last thing, this attitude you have about "Physician-oriented tasks" and all other tasks left for those who must bow down and obey the all mighty MD, is bull****. We are all a team. You might want to think about that a little bit before you start interviewing...

Originally posted by imtiaz:
To say that working as a CNA is a "sure-fire" way to improve your chances to get into medical school is WRONG! This type of work is the exception rather than the norm, that's all I'm saying.

I have to agree with most of your post, but the above statement is flat-out wrong. Today, in the year 2000, working as a nurses aid is common. There are tons of us in my class (I'd give you specific numbers, but It's only the second week) who have been PCT's, CNAs, etc. And all of us used that experience as a way to improve our chances of admissions. To put it bluntly, would we have done it if it wasn't "sure-fire?" Yes we performed nusing tasks, yes we will most likely never clean Pts up as MD's, but that doesn't mean learning those skills was useless! WHAT WE LEARNED WAS PT CARE!! Bottom line. This person who has been feeding you information is absolutly wrong. This type of work is as benificial as it gets.

If I'm not convincing you (or anybody else reading this) then call an adcom or a dean. They will be happy to answer your questions. Just ask: "What carreer experience would be most benificial to an applicant who feels they need to boost their resume?" And they will tell you any position that involves direct Pt care is the best. Try it, please. And let me know what they say. GOod Luck, Mango

Wow.

To be or not to be a CNA is obviously the question of the day.
In response to the original poster's question:
I am actually in the midst of taking a year off from school. However, I'm beginning to realize that it's *very* difficult to do what you want to do while you are applying to medical school. The entire process is intensely time-consuming and requires you to pretty much stay put for about 6 months. I wanted to teach middle or high school, but I can't do that because the entire interview process will require me to take at least 3 weeks off. I can't abandon my students like that. I wanted to do international public health related stuff (my passion), but I can't be thousands of miles away when I am summoned for interviews. I wanted to do Americorp, but those damn interviews and secondaries again! I really think that if I could do it over, I would either (a) apply during my senior year and defer for a year, or (b) take 2 years off, one scot-free year and one year for applying. With either of these options, you will have one year to do whatever the hell you want without the pressure, stress, time-constraints, and position-constraints of the medschool application process. I wish that someone had told me this before I decided to apply to med school this year. Right now, it looks like the only option for a free-lance sort of year for me is to get in this year, delay matriculation for a year, and then do one of the activities listed above. With this option of course, I don't really have a hassle-free year to improve my resume.
Since I have already applied this year, I'm trying to make the best of it. This year, I am staying put in Houston doing volunteer work (AIDS hospice caretaking, food not bombs), engaging in social activism (anti-death penalty movement, global economic justice movement), and working part-time. All these activities can definitely 'give' when I have to invest a lot of time in secondaries and interviews. In February, I will be taking off to India to work in a family planning clinic serving rural, tribal, untouchable women for five months, and to do other work in global social/economic/environmental justice movements. If I get into a school that will let me defer for a year, I will probably do Americorps or teach at the middle or high school level.
A long answer to the original question, but I really think that if you want a chance to improve your resume for med school, you ought to reserve a single hassle-free year without the stress of med school applications in which to do it. In other words, it may be preferable to take two years off, not one.
Just my opinion.
xena

Hi, everyone.

First of all, thank you all so much for posting so much information. I know it took a lot of your time.

Secondly, for the folks that are reading these posts and considering CNA work, I'd like to clarify a few things that I've found from my experience as a CNA.

I became a CNA at the suggestion of my mom (an intensive care nurse) right after I graduated high school. During college, I worked at the same nursing home when I came home for vacations, and I was almost always able to work full time (or more)for as short or as long a period as I was available. The turnover rate for CNAs is extremely high due to the stress of the work, and nursing homes in particular are generally very easy to get hired at, even with little or no experience.

In general, I've enjoyed the work very much, and I feel it's given me invaluable insight into long-term care. It, coupled with my mother's experience with extremely sick people, is a powerful argument for the physician's responsibility in informing families just how drastic life-saving measures can be, and how difficult life can be for terminally ill people. Furthermore, i think any patient care, whether you're doing a technical and fancy procedure (by the way, we'll get plenty of those in the rest of our training) or helping them stand up, is extremely important for future doctors to get experience with. At the very least, it's practice with inspiring trust in someone who is probably ill and very afraid. And there's something to be said for just getting used to touching a naked stranger!

Finally, i'd like to let people know that where you work makes a big difference in the experiences you'll get. As I said, I've done the nursing home bit, and my duties have not consisted of any procedures more technical than taking blood pressures. I also have had no more contact with physicians that seeing the podiatrist coming in every few weeks to cut my old ladies' toenails. I am also going to apply for a position on a surgical floor at our local hospital the next time I'm home for a significant number of weeks (adequate training/orientation time is the issue)in order to get more hospital experience. Additionally, I was careful not to apply to a medical floor because I was told that it would be very similar to my nursing home experience, regardless of location.

I wouldn't have traded my experience at the nursing home for the world. I've learned so much about teamwork and about dealing with really off-the-wall patients that I feel like I can stay cool under pressure in many situations. It's also been wonderful to have a job from which I can come and go at will that doesn't involve the phrase "paper or plastic?"

So for those of you who are considering a CNA course, do it. It will make you a better doctor, and just wait until you can tell the nurses you'll be working with that once you were a CNA. They'll love you for it. And at least you'll have learned to WASH YOUR DARN HANDS! =)

Hi, I just got my EMT-Basic Cert. I think it is really good experience with patient care. Any kind of patient care experience is great. We had to do a clinical in a nursing home when I was going through my clinicals. It's definantly a stepping off point in the medical field. Good luck with your EMT class.

I was a psychiatric technician in a mental institution and this job gave me patient contact and social work skills. I eventually landed a job as a social worker and I feel that both of these jobs helped me get into med school.