How do I look so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

12thKnight

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm new.

So I'm a sophomore at a large, American public research university. I am an in-state student and a caucasian female.
Here's my "resume":

-Honors Biochemistry major with a minor in Music
-Overall GPA is 3.83. Science GPA is 3.89.
-I have not yet taken the MCAT.
-I haven't done much clinical volunteering yet. I am trying to decide between two hospitals in the area, but I am open to other suggestions of good ways to get clinical exposure...the main reason I am dragging my feet is because I hear that these hospital volunteers get little to no patient exposure and just get sent to man the gift shop.
-So far I have only shadowed a general surgeon for around 20 hours. I was going to shadow a pediatrician over winter break, but I was sick. I am planning on shadowing an OB/GYN this summer or next winter, and hopefully some other specialties too. I am trying to get breadth, not depth.
-Couldn't get into my advisor's lab since I am just now taking general bio. I am planning on asking another professor when I see her on Tuesday.
-I have volunteered with relay for life and at a Ronald McDonald house. (only about 10 hours...)
-I am not currently employed. Over the past summer I was working a fast food joint and then landed an engineering internship (they stuck me in civil because what else were they going to do with a biology major? Worked there for two months.)
-As far as extra-curriculars, I am in my school's marching band, which takes up a lot of time in the fall. Because I receive a scholarship (and because of my music minor) I also take other music classes, and am in my instrument's studio (basically an extra-curricular because of even more time involved for rehearsals, and music classes I have to take for that). I also am involved in student government for the honors program, I play a club sport, and am an officer for our local AMSA chapter.

Basically, with all that in mind, I would like to hear your opinions on my chances at medical school admission. I haven't looked really in-depth into schools, and really what I'm worried about is what I am doing vs. what I should be doing. I just don't feel as if I am doing everything I need to be. Plus that GPA? I haven't even gotten into my upper division classes...I got a B+ in Organic 1 last semester, and a C+ in Music Theory 1 as a freshman. I feel like that theory class was a wake-up call, so now I'm really trying to keep my grades up, and I'm scared of spreading myself too thin and letting my grades drop, but at the same time I feel as if I'm not doing enough outside of school, especially in the volunteering area. Help? Thank you for any and all advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Your numbers are great. Not all volunteering has to be in a hospital. Think hospice, nursing homes, clinics, camps for sick kids, crisis/suicide hotlines or Planned Parenthood. For non-clinical volunteering, start with your local houses of worship.

Reactions: 1 user
As a sophomore, you have a lot on your plate. You've already accomplished a lot and should not put much stress on yourself. Keep up with your GPA and keep doing what you're doing. As far as volunteering, try something small by doing Habitat for Humanity, Feeding the homeless. I'm a member of AMSA at my school, and we have a volunteer committee, you should check and see if your chapter have the same. It will come in handy

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for the good advice. I'll have to look into some of the opportunities you suggested.

Agreed with above. You're right on about not spreading yourself too thin - make sure you can keep grades up, and other than that, I think that increasing your clinical exposure should be a priority. When we look at applicants, one of the big questions is, Does this person know what they are getting into? If you can show that you've worked with patients in some capacity (and as Goro said, it doesn't have to be in a hospital), then that counts for a lot. You'll find yourself speaking in really different terms once you get some of that clinical exposure.