How do I pack my suit?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sirworksalot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Probably didn't need a whole thread, but I was curious about how past interviewers transported their suit. Did you bring it on the plane in a suit bag or what? I guess it would look bad if it were all wrinkled.

Members don't see this ad.

Purchase a garment bag.

If you have a garment bag defintely use it. If not, borrow one from a neighbor. If it's in a garment bag it should be fine to check. If all else fails, where it on the plane ride. It might get a little bent up, but much better than stuffed in a normal bag.

Members don't see this ad :)
Having had my luggage lost en route to an interview, make sure you get a garment bag, and CARRY it onto the plane. For me, it felt like a scene out of Meet the parents. All I want to do is carry it onto the plane.

Do not let it out of your sight. I almost had to purchase a suit from Wal-mart.

great, thanks everyone...i think i will be borrowing someone's bag and CARRYING it on the plane!...nice reference to meet the parents...:clap:

why do you need a suit? :laugh:

While garment bags are great, they can be a bit costly if you can't find one on sale. Instead of spending that extra bit of $, I used one of those cheap plastic suit covers (like the ones dry cleaners use). Then, as I boarded the plane, I would ask the flight attendent to hang the suit for me. Most planes come with hanging closets (usually at the front of the plane, by the first class seats).

In my experience, the only planes that didn't have closets are AirTran's. Curse those economy airlines ;)

American Tourister makes a carry-on with a "suiter," which is a small garment bag (basically big enough for a suit) which folds into thirds and fits inside the suitcase. Even though it folds, your suit does not get wrinkled, and anyway, you can hang it up overnight. The bag has a pop-up handle and wheels and is the perfect size for an overnight trip. And NO BAGGAGE CHECKING! I found mine at Sam's Club for $30, which is a steal, but if you check out places like Wal-Mart, CostCo, etc, you should be able to find one for a good price. It's a great investment.

Originally posted by VCMM414
While garment bags are great, they can be a bit costly if you can't find one on sale.

The local swapmeet(especially near closing time) usually has cheap deals on luggage, including garment bags.

In any event...the plastic and hanging it in first class is a great idea too.

What happened to my garment bag Fauker!!!!

Originally posted by Allygator89
Having had my luggage lost en route to an interview, make sure you get a garment bag, and CARRY it onto the plane. For me, it felt like a scene out of Meet the parents. All I want to do is carry it onto the plane.

So are they not allowing people to carry their suit onto planes anymore?

Why don't you just wear your suit on the plane and pack an iron?

why not just buy a new one when u get there>
it will be clean and no wrinkles.
pay extra to haev it taylored on the spot.
better yet, get there 2 days early and shop for a few days.
hey, u can never spend too much time buying cool clothes

guys, i know of a place where you can get a free garment bag.

just walk into your local brooks brothers store (if there is one near you) and ask for one. there's no need to spend any money.

and the quality of the bag is great.

--michael

just helping you pre-meds save some money.

brooks bros has some nice ties too.
why not get a few ties, since u already went there

how to pack a suit...

Put your suitlike materials into a bag or suitcase or simliar carrying thingie.

C'mon people it's not that friggin hard.

Remember that new rules say only one carry-on and one "personal item, such as a purse or briefcase." Thus, if you bring a carry-on bag and a briefcase you won't be allowed to have your suit hung in the "suit-closet" of airplanes. If you must pack the suit on a carry-on, what you need to do is lay the suit in first with both ends of the suit hanging off the end of the bag. Then pack all other items on top of the suit (most hotels have irons for your shirt). Make sure you pack the bag as tightly as possible, then fold the ends of the suit into the bag and close the bag. The compression of the suit by all the other clothing and toiletries, etc... will help keep wrinkles to a minimum. Also, get a steamer to get out any of those wrinkles that you happen to get. You also want some sort of garmet bag (usually you are given a bag when you buy a suit, if not a dry-cleaners bag works just as well) to prevent anything from soiling the suit.

Happy travels

BG

p.s. If you don't carry a backpack or suitcase, just get the suit hung in the little closet.

Watch out for hotel irons . . . on more than one occaision I've touched up a wrinkled shirt while traveling and created a mess from garbage already on the iron. Not a fun thing if you wait until the last minute.

Originally posted by bgibney
Remember that new rules say only one carry-on and one "personal item, such as a purse or briefcase." Thus, if you bring a carry-on bag and a briefcase you won't be allowed to have your suit hung in the "suit-closet" of airplanes.

Buy a carry-on suitcase that comes with a suiter (see post above). You can pack everything you need, including suit, and still be able to bring a briefcase or purse. Also, you don't want to be traipsing through the airport and public transit with suitcase, personal bag, AND garment bag.