How do I partake in Extra-Curriculars if I have a full-time job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

habbohomer

Reaction score
Starting college this fall. I've got a super chill full time job where I can work/study without any issues. But between school and work, I believe I might have a problem with finding time to partake in volunteering, research, job shadows, and other EC's that might make me standout.

Any ideas?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly? Give it a semester and get into the groove of college life. Get used to the responsibilities thereof, and incrementally add more as you develop your time management skills. Your grades and MCAT are the most important factors for medical school admissions, so prepare yourself accordingly and build momentum. The rest will follow naturally from that core mentality. When you do start volunteering, it’s not like it will take up a massive portion of your time if you do it right. I volunteered at a hospital once per week for 5 hours every Friday for 2 years, and some of that time I spent volunteering was actually time I had to study as well. That was good enough. Don’t do it half-way though, because there are valuable experiences to be had here. The shadowing can easily happen over your summers. Get at least 50 hours and I honestly think that’s plenty. Other volunteering? Please do it if it sounds interesting and is worth your time, in your eyes. You don’t want to come across as disingenuous when writing your essays or doing interviews once the time comes because all you had was padding. Just remember if you keep this in mind, your time management skills will start to blossom based on your inherent drive to do these things, and not do them because you “have to” to get into medical school.

Reactions: 1 users
Starting college this fall. I've got a super chill full time job where I can work/study without any issues. But between school and work, I believe I might have a problem with finding time to partake in volunteering, research, job shadows, and other EC's that might make me standout.

Any ideas?
You have 40 hrs/week to work.

Another 49-56 for sleeping.

Subtract out commuting, food prep, shopping and eating.

That's the amount you have left in a 168 hour week. There's time, especially since this is going to be anywhere from a 2-5 year process.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You have 40 hrs/week to work.

Another 49-56 for sleeping.

Subtract out commuting, food prep, shopping and eating.

That's the amount you have left in a 168 hour week. There's time, especially since this is going to be anywhere from a 2-5 year process.
It's weird when you put it like that it seems like I have so much time yet it doesn't pan out like that for some reason. Maybe I'm just lazy. Thanks for your comment.

Do ECs once college is over or during the summer. I know as a nontrad you feel double pressure to get those apps out but don't be miserable.

Volunteering a night shift at an ED is a good way to meet doctors to shadow and get some clinical experience. Even if it's just 2 hours a week

Do not forget that WORK is an extracurricular. I guarantee that you have more leadership and team experience working a real job than some guy who orders pizza for the premed club.

Clinical and non clinical experience adds up overtime. I did three hours once per week and had no problem accumulating hours. Shadowing may require the use of personal days, especially for primary care which tends to be easiest to arrange during the normal work week.

I did 4-5 hours a week every Friday or Saturday for 2+ years. Sprinkled in things like meals at homeless shelters in the evenings once or twice a month. Longevity to service looks good, and the hours build up quickly.

Do not forget that WORK is an extracurricular. I guarantee that you have more leadership and team experience working a real job than some guy who orders pizza for the premed club.

HA! Got 'em!