How do I rank these??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xampower

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My wife and I are having a terrible time deciding which of three programs to rank first. As and applicant it is so hard at this point in my career to have a grasp of what will be important for my long term career. We are trying to decide if program prestigue is more important in the grand scheme of things than location for three years. We have kids so housing is a factor although it definately doesn't drive our decision making. Mabey someone could offer their opinion. I feel I would fit into these programs equally. None are the perfect program for me. I think all will provide me great training. I am also interested in a fellowship.

Program A
Considered to be a top 5 (mabey even 3) program in my specialty of choosing. Nationally a big name in all areas of medicine. Equal distance to both my parents and my wifes (5hrs). High cost of living in the housing market. Location to where we want to live is 5/10. Probably the best clinical caseloads of the three, although not that far ahead of them. Hours are definately the longest of the three. Offers a fast track for the fellowship I am interested in.

Program B
Considered to be a top 10 (mabey top 5). A big name in my specialty but nationally not as big of a name in all areas of medicine. Incredible cost of living. We could purchase a very large house for our family. 9 hours (driving) to both parents. Clinical caseload is excellent. Amazing board pass rate and board scores (great didactics). Location to where we want to live 8/10. Hours are the best of the three. Offers fellowship but not fast track.

ProgramC
Considered to be a top 20 in my chosen specailty. Nationally a huge name in all areas of medicine. High cost of living in the housing market. Location to where we want to live is 9/10. Very close to family (1 hour). Excellent clinical caseload. Great board pass rates. Hours are middle of the three. Offers fellowship but no fast track.

Any help???

Members don't see this ad.

A somewhat similar situation was recently debated in this forum:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=173650

Your ranking should, in my opinion, be based on your long-term priorities. That's a vague statement, and perhaps not of much help, but I think it's true. Personally I would rank A-B-C in a heartbeat, but I am prepared to ignore cost of living, etc. in order to get the big name and the fast track to fellowship. I also don't have to consider spousal employment, daycare, and whatnot.

Program B also sounds like a great option, so if you're having serious qualms about A then why not try B-A-C?

i would chose B first.

If B is a top 10 (5) and a big name if your speciality, that will carry enough of a reputation for you to land a job/fellowship. It also offers the advantage of the housing/cost of living which I think is very key. Having money to downpay a house (even during residency) offers you alot of flexibility in your career and lifestyle decisions. Alternatively, you can always resell this house when your doen with residency if you want to move. 9 hrs drive to family is definitely doable if you want to see them over the weekend.

I don't know what kinda residency you will be doing but a 9hour drive most likely wont happen unless you getting a week off. Who wants to spend 18hrs in a car on their weekend off? I personally don't think anything over 3hours is worth it for a weekend trip. However you could find some pretty cheap puddle jumpers and catch up on either reading or sleep on your trip to visit the fam.

Were not planning on making the drives. Especially not with two screaming maniacs in the back seat. I think the 5 hour drive is manageable for long weekends. Anyway, just trying to put the distances in perspective. I would love to hear some more opinions. My wife and I are trying our best to make the most informed decision possible. Thanks.

Is your family willing to pitch in in emergencies? Like sickness or child care? The one hour drive may be priceless in that regard and may be the difference between a miserable experience and a tolerable one.

I second this. I don't know if you have kids, or plan on having them, but if you do, proximity to grandparents can huge factor in how stressed out you are. I certainly didn't understand this before I had kids, and I was just lucky with how things worked out.

ears said:
I second this. I don't know if you have kids, or plan on having them, but if you do, proximity to grandparents can huge factor in how stressed out you are. I certainly didn't understand this before I had kids, and I was just lucky with how things worked out.

Ditto--choose sanity of lifestyle over prestige.
Don't sacrifice your wife and kids over the difference between a "top 3" and a
"top 20". In the long run, IT'S JUST NOT WORTH IT!

OldPsychDoc is right....

rhinosp_33 said:
9 hrs drive to family is definitely doable if you want to see them over the weekend.

Are you insane? Have you ever made a 9 hour drive? My med school is 4 hours from home and I had very little time to make the drive home. I can only imagine what residency will be like! I think if being close to family is important, that should be a very important point to consider when choosing your program. Nine hours is not a do-able drive for the weekend. In fact, one of my favorite programs is about that far from home but I will not be ranking it highly because of this reason alone.