How do I start schooling?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"No-kill" almost never means what the general public might think. At it's most basic level, it simply means a shelter that does not set a time limit on a pet being adopted before it is euthanized to free up space. In theory, it means that all healthy, treatable, adoptable animals will be given a chance to be adopted, no matter how long that takes. In practice, those words are not clearly defined, and differ from organization to organization. A cat may have a technically treatable condition, but if it is something that the shelter cannot afford to treat, the cat will likely be euthanized. "Adoptable" benchmarks also vary. Some shelters may have the resources to rehabilitate animals with behavior problems so they become adoptable. Many do not. The standard is something like a 90% adoption rate. There are also downsides to no-kill shelters that people do not consider. Consider my hometown, which is trying to go entirely no kill. What happens when the major shelter in the area and ACPS are no-kill, and they are full? They can't take any more animals, the leftovers end up at shelters in a nearby county, and lo and behold you see increased euthanasia rates at those places anyway. In theory being entirely no-kill is a noble ideal, but in many cases it simply isn't practical (as @dyachei said, this is a major problem in the south where shelters are already overburdened).

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As far as the maturity goes, I'll take that.

The funds are frustrating though. There are boards and memorials all over the place, with the names of people that have recurring donations of hundreds of thousands, and millions of dollars each year. We had the funds to get new scrubs (in the exact same style) every three months, and to paint a (singular) wall in the break room purple, even a new patio with a gas grill.. Maybe the space could've been used for something else. I didn't work with finances though, so I can't really say much. It just looked pretty bad.

And I elaborated and said that being a vegetarian is my own personal choice. It makes me feel better, and everyone has their own personal giveback. Again, I was just simply listing things about myself that I felt were relevant.
On a serious note, how could I elaborate more/be more clear? I try my hardest to be not-very-opinionated when it comes to peoples' personal choices, and I don't think that what I chose to do is better than anyone else's choices.
It makes you feel better but why? Why does it even matter in terms of dedication to animals? It doesn't. It makes you feel like you have an ethical high ground over people that do eat meat (or does it make you feel better health wise?). That goes back to maturity.

Sometimes you don't get to choose where the funding goes. Sometimes people donate scrubs or a scrub company discounts scrubs for a group. And having clean scrubs can reduce disease transmission. Do you have any idea how much it costs to run an operation? or even a smaller clinic? because I do and my guess is that those millions go to
1. keeping the lights on and the spaces as clean as can be kept
2. vaccines
3. credit checks or whatever other vetting must be done to ensure good adoptions (takes manpower and sometimes fees)
4. health certificates and the like
5. medications for sick animals that may recover
6. euthanasia solution for those that wont
7. surgical supplies
8. employee salaries/hourly wages
9. worker's comp and other insurances (crazy high for veterinary establishments)
etc etc etc

No, I'm not saying that at all. But maybe the shelter should change their advertising..

Cats+wink+i+m+a+kitty+cat+and+i+dance+dance+_01ab76ed819392d3ae21f45c3588a09c.jpg

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's the thing though. You chose to pass judgement when you know nothing about me, other than what I've written here. And thanks for trying to sugar coat this comment, but unfortunately, your original, once again, nasty comment, went to my email. So did you ever think that my 'crap attitude' had something to do with you being rude straight from the beginning? You don't know enough about me to determine whether or not I have an attitude. Did I take your rude comments personally? Yes. It's not what you say, it's how you say it, and if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. My post may have come across and patchy, and maybe even a little crotchety, because I was throwing out thoughts as they came to me. Other people that had a problem with this, asked, without being so offensive.

And sorry, but I still can't find your comments relevant. I didn't ask if I suck as a person. If I did, you might be on to something. But again, you have to meet someone to pass that kind of judgement. As offended as I have been by some of the things you said, that's still not enough for me to say anything about you as a person.

I think you need to learn the difference between being rude and being blunt. Here is WTF's original post to you:

:laugh:

I think you need to learn some humility before anything else, kid.

You're coming off as a SJW with a dash of superiority complex. Tighten up on them reins.

It was in regards to you saying:

"About me as a student: Got everything right, all the time. Straight A's, all AP classes. Good student, borderline teacher's pet. Proud overachiever. I was getting B's on college papers in middle school."

That is your direct quote.

WTF is being very blunt and telling you to learn some humility. You are tooting your own horn way too damn hard here. The other thing is that WTF was not once judgmental in that post of hers. She never once stated that you are a terrible person, think you are better, etc, etc. All she said is that you are coming off (portraying yourself, sound like, etc) you have a superiority complex. And, to be very blunt, you do come off that way. You come off that way in almost every post that you have made here.

WTF also never once said anything about your attitude until after you told everyone to go eat "***" and then you went off on her about how she is arrogant. All she ever did was point out very bluntly that you are portraying yourself with a massive superiority complex and offered the advice of "tighten them reigns"... as in "tone it down" or become more humble. Never did WTF "judge" you or tell you that you are a bad person or even stated that you have a "crap attitude" (though you actually do or have shown us so far that you do, if you don't you might want to consider posting differently).

Anyway, take the advice or don't. But just figured I'd clarify that WTF was never and had not made any judging comments to you or even rude comments. People are going to be very blunt with you. This world isn't all about holding your hand and politely guiding you through life.. you have to learn to take the "negative" criticism (even if stated bluntly) just as well as the positive criticism.

It makes you feel better but why? Why does it even matter in terms of dedication to animals? It doesn't. It makes you feel like you have an ethical high ground over people that do eat meat (or does it make you feel better health wise?). That goes back to maturity.

Sometimes you don't get to choose where the funding goes. Sometimes people donate scrubs or a scrub company discounts scrubs for a group. And having clean scrubs can reduce disease transmission. Do you have any idea how much it costs to run an operation? or even a smaller clinic? because I do and my guess is that those millions go to
1. keeping the lights on and the spaces as clean as can be kept
2. vaccines
3. credit checks or whatever other vetting must be done to ensure good adoptions (takes manpower and sometimes fees)
4. health certificates and the like
5. medications for sick animals that may recover
6. euthanasia solution for those that wont
7. surgical supplies
8. employee salaries/hourly wages
9. worker's comp and other insurances (crazy high for veterinary establishments)
etc etc etc

I don't feel like I have anything over anyone, but if there's anything I do know, it's that my reasoning for being a vegetarian is an incredibly touchy topic, even for people whose career's have little to do with animals. Some people take offense, some don't, so I choose not to really get in-depth about it, because at the end of the day, what you have for dinner is your business, and I'm really not out to offend anyone with my personal life.

And, it might not matter to you, but it does to some.

And maybe a general idea about running an operation, but not much. It's hard not to know what money is spent on in a shelter when you get chewed out for using paper towels. They were big on not wasting a lot of things, and reusing a lot more, nothing wrong with that, but it usually came with a friendly "Hey! That costs money!" If anything, it made us more conscious, but not nearly to the scale that you described. Now that you point that out about the scrubs, it makes more sense, but I feel like there were a lot of things that we simply didn't need, and the funds could've gone to better places. But again, you already said that you don't get to choose where the funding goes, so that pretty much squashes that.

I don't feel like I have anything over anyone, but if there's anything I do know, it's that my reasoning for being a vegetarian is an incredibly touchy topic, even for people whose career's have little to do with animals. Some people take offense, some don't, so I choose not to really get in-depth about it, because at the end of the day, what you have for dinner is your business, and I'm really not out to offend anyone with my personal life.

And, it might not matter to you, but it does to some.
That's exactly my point. By stating it the way you did you made it a big deal because it does have meaning for you. But it's like you're trying to backtrack because it came off as pretty arrogant. Instead of just owning it.

I'd suggest you figure out why it's an incredibly touchy subject for you before vet school. you will likely have to work on animals intended for food.

Personally I don't give a damn what your personal ethics are unless you use it in a way that bashes anyone else's choice there. And you did, even if it was unwittingly.

I think you need to learn the difference between being rude and being blunt. Here is WTF's original post to you:

It was in regards to you saying:

"About me as a student: Got everything right, all the time. Straight A's, all AP classes. Good student, borderline teacher's pet. Proud overachiever. I was getting B's on college papers in middle school."

That is your direct quote.

WTF is being very blunt and telling you to learn some humility. You are tooting your own horn way too damn hard here. The other thing is that WTF was not once judgmental in that post of hers. She never once stated that you are a terrible person, think you are better, etc, etc. All she said is that you are coming off (portraying yourself, sound like, etc) you have a superiority complex. And, to be very blunt, you do come off that way. You come off that way in almost every post that you have made here.

WTF also never once said anything about your attitude until after you told everyone to go eat "***" and then you went off on her about how she is arrogant. All she ever did was point out very bluntly that you are portraying yourself with a massive superiority complex and offered the advice of "tighten them reigns"... as in "tone it down" or become more humble. Never did WTF "judge" you or tell you that you are a bad person or even stated that you have a "crap attitude" (though you actually do or have shown us so far that you do, if you don't you might want to consider posting differently).

Anyway, take the advice or don't. But just figured I'd clarify that WTF was never and had not made any judging comments to you or even rude comments. People are going to be very blunt with you. This world isn't all about holding your hand and politely guiding you through life.. you have to learn to take the "negative" criticism (even if stated bluntly) just as well as the positive criticism.

Well, I see it a tad differently.

The first thing that she said, I took personally, because it was something along the lines of "What the **** does being a vegetarian have to do with a dedication to animals?" or something along those lines. A few people have already said that this is a sensitive topic, so I think it goes without saying that this comment was very uncalled for. Considering that I haven't necessarily said that I'm better than anyone, which I definitely don't think, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for advice, I took her criticism very personally, and to me, it came off as very rude. Other people have had the same question, but said it very differently.

To me, telling someone that they need to learn humility and that they have superiority complex is the same as telling them they think they're better than everyone else, or, they think they're superior.

And she stated it in a comment that she later edited to be less rude. I didn't re-post it, because it was her choice to take to take it down, and I'll respect that. I'm just not sure if it was for me, or for those reading.

And personally, I feel like she "went off" on me first. It's funny how she gets to say that I "came off" as one way, but when I use the exact same phrase she did, it's me going off on her about how arrogant she is.

Lastly, I can work on the way I word things. I didn't intentionally mean to toot my own horn, because I generally don't do that. Getting everything right, all the time, could be a definite stretch for anyone, including myself. I was only trying to describe myself as a student, without sounding like I was posting a resume, so that way no one would think I was actually a 2.8 student that just slept through class. If I had said "Yeah, I got good grades," I wouldn't be very convinced by that. At the same time, I was just listing things that came to mind, because I felt like elaborating on these things would be more tooting than anything, so that's my fault. It came across differently that how I intended.

And, I didn't tell everyone to eat ****. Just anyone with anything rude to say, after I had already gotten a few rude remarks. I should have worded that differently too, but I was upset. Personally, I'd laugh that off, because there are so many other, actually mean, things that someone could say. Where I am, that's a somewhat nice way of saying to chill out. (I guess I could've just said that.) But again, could be my maturity level.

Okay, very very last thing. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand or be nice all the time. I put all my information out there, and I honestly expected the worst. You can be as blunt as you want to with me, because I'm not necessarily used to the hand-holding anyway, but being rude/mean is something different. And if you don't see some of the things being said as rude or mean, then maybe I'm just overly sensitive.

That's exactly my point. By stating it the way you did you made it a big deal because it does have meaning for you. But it's like you're trying to backtrack because it came off as pretty arrogant. Instead of just owning it.

I'd suggest you figure out why it's an incredibly touchy subject for you before vet school. you will likely have to work on animals intended for food.

Personally I don't give a damn what your personal ethics are unless you use it in a way that bashes anyone else's choice there. And you did, even if it was unwittingly.

Well no, I'll definitely own up to it, and I apologize to anyone it offended. If I didn't want to, would have deleted it. I'm not trying to backtrack, I just didn't think anyone would really care, considering all I said was that I've been a vegetarian for 8 years; simply trying to paint a picture. The way that I see it, if I were reading it, I wouldn't take that as a personal attack, and I feel like some people did. It'd be different if I said something like "I'm a vegetarian and you're not, so you must hate animals." Reading your response, I can see how it could be interpreted that way, but I didn't expect people to read into it past what I wrote. I'm not much of a personal choice basher, so for that, I'm sorry too.

I don't mind working on animals meant for food, because it is what it is. It's touchy just because people want to know why I do it, then when I answer them, they want to argue about it. Vegetarianism in itself is a heated topic, and everyone has their opinions. I just prefer for those opinions to not be directed at me.

Well no, I'll definitely own up to it, and I apologize to anyone it offended. If I didn't want to, would have deleted it. I'm not trying to backtrack, I just didn't think anyone would really care, considering all I said was that I've been a vegetarian for 8 years; simply trying to paint a picture. The way that I see it, if I were reading it, I wouldn't take that as a personal attack, and I feel like some people did. It'd be different if I said something like "I'm a vegetarian and you're not, so you must hate animals." Reading your response, I can see how it could be interpreted that way, but I didn't expect people to read into it past what I wrote. I'm not much of a personal choice basher, so for that, I'm sorry too.

I don't mind working on animals meant for food, because it is what it is. It's touchy just because people want to know why I do it, then when I answer them, they want to argue about it. Vegetarianism in itself is a heated topic, and everyone has their opinions. I just prefer for those opinions to not be directed at me.
If you prefer for them not to be directed at you why even mention it? What would it have to do with your application to vet school? Do you understand what I'm getting at? If you don't want to get into opinions or arguments about it, don't mention it in conjunction with a modifier that implies a comparison. Heck you don't gave to mention it at all. There are plenty of vegetarians around here. There are plenty of omnivores. There may even be some strict carnivores. Mostly it doesn't get mentioned except when someone wants yo argue

The first thing that she said, I took personally, because it was something along the lines of "What the **** does being a vegetarian have to do with a dedication to animals?" or something along those lines. A few people have already said that this is a sensitive topic, so I think it goes without saying that this comment was very uncalled for. Considering that I haven't necessarily said that I'm better than anyone, which I definitely don't think, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for advice, I took her criticism very personally, and to me, it came off as very rude. Other people have had the same question, but said it very differently.

WTF never stated that you claimed you were or felt you were better than anyone. She stated that you are coming "off" as having a superiority complex. (And you really do). You are reading into things that simply are not there, which is probably why you are getting sensitive about them. You need to consider what people are actually stating and not jump straight to conclusions that they are judging you. She stated it very clearly that what you said came off, in context as if you are superior. Whether you intended it that what way or not, that is how it came across. Did WTF tell you that in a nice hand-holding happy way? No. Was she very straight-forward and blunt about it? Yes. But don't take it for more than what is stated, like you are above.

To me, telling someone that they need to learn humility and that they have superiority complex is the same as telling them they think they're better than everyone else, or, they think they're superior.

Again, she didn't say you do have a superiority complex rather that your posts and statements come across that way. There is a difference and I think you missing the difference is what made you so sensitive to what she stated.

And she stated it in a comment that she later edited to be less rude. I didn't re-post it, because it was her choice to take to take it down, and I'll respect that. I'm just not sure if it was for me, or for those reading.

She edited a couple comments, but not the one about telling you to learn humility. Only 2 she edited were the first one about vegetarianism and how it really doesn't relate to dedication to vet med and the second one after you commented back to her for being supposedly "rude".

And personally, I feel like she "went off" on me first. It's funny how she gets to say that I "came off" as one way, but when I use the exact same phrase she did, it's me going off on her about how arrogant she is.

You are right, you did say "come off" I didn't read your comment right the first time, my apologizes. However, you previously before this basically told her (and anyone else that responds to you in what you believe is "rude") to go eat "****", which is really uncalled for considering no one in here acted like that to you.

Lastly, I can work on the way I word things. I didn't intentionally mean to toot my own horn, because I generally don't do that. Getting everything right, all the time, could be a definite stretch for anyone, including myself. I was only trying to describe myself as a student, without sounding like I was posting a resume, so that way no one would think I was actually a 2.8 student that just slept through class. If I had said "Yeah, I got good grades," I wouldn't be very convinced by that. At the same time, I was just listing things that came to mind, because I felt like elaborating on these things would be more tooting than anything, so that's my fault. It came across differently that how I intended.

And this was what WTF was trying to get across to you. You need to learn some "humility" or at least work on phrasing things better. It wasn't rude, just blunt and now you are aware of it.

And, I didn't tell everyone to eat ****. Just anyone with anything rude to say, after I had already gotten a few rude remarks. I should have worded that differently too, but I was upset. Personally, I'd laugh that off, because there are so many other, actually mean, things that someone could say. Where I am, that's a somewhat nice way of saying to chill out. (I guess I could've just said that.) But again, could be my maturity level.

Really? Ok, you use a curse word to "people who are in your mind rude to you" and tell us that we should "laugh it off" but when most people have actually been rather helpful to you and no one has outwardly been incredibly rude you flip a lid and get mad? Do you not see the hypocrisy here?

Okay, very very last thing. I don't expect anyone to hold my hand or be nice all the time. I put all my information out there, and I honestly expected the worst. You can be as blunt as you want to with me, because I'm not necessarily used to the hand-holding anyway, but being rude/mean is something different. And if you don't see some of the things being said as rude or mean, then maybe I'm just overly sensitive.

No one has really been rude/mean, just blunt. Which is why I pointed all of this out so that hopefully you could see that. Maybe you do now? Maybe not. But most of the older posters here are straightforward and blunt, we aren't going to sugar coat things for you or lay everything out super nicely. We tend to be rather straight up just say what is on our mind, which might mean needing to grow some thick skin. I do still find it funny that you can tell us that we should all just laugh off your eating "****" comment because "there are worse things people can say" (I don't disagree on that part), but people who simply tell you that you come across as having a superiority complex are being horrifically rude and evil..

If you prefer for them not to be directed at you why even mention it? What would it have to do with your application to vet school? Do you understand what I'm getting at? If you don't want to get into opinions or arguments about it, don't mention it in conjunction with a modifier that implies a comparison. Heck you don't gave to mention it at all. There are plenty of vegetarians around here. There are plenty of omnivores. There may even be some strict carnivores. Mostly it doesn't get mentioned except when someone wants yo argue

Understood. I included it mostly to paint a picture for you all, and because after calling a few admissions offices and reading online, a lot of them were saying that when reviewing an applicant, they look at them as a whole, and not just their GPA. So I got in the groove of including that tidbit, but if it's not important, I won't.

Members don't see this ad :)

I think that is a big part of your issue. The way you see it is clearly not the way other people are seeing what you are saying and what other people are saying in response to you.

If "What the **** does being a vegetarian have to do with a dedication to animals?" is not very nice. Neither is saying people can "eat ****." It doesn't matter who flung the first poop. Why is it that you can justify what you said by saying "that's a somewhat nice way of saying to chill out" and not offer the same courtesy to the other statement. Maybe "that's a somewhat nice way of saying what are you talking about?"

But again, could be my maturity level.
Agreed.

You got that right. Unfortunately, that's how you came across on your initial post. Who knows, maybe you are just a poor writer and can't convey your personality well on paper, and that is just not you at all. But that is very important to fix before you start writing to express yourself on a vet school application!

You can be as blunt as you want to with me, because I'm not necessarily used to the hand-holding anyway, but being rude/mean is something different. And if you don't see some of the things being said as rude or mean, then maybe I'm just overly sensitive.
I think you're quite right there as well. Just because people are sarcastic in their response does not mean that it is a personal attack. If you do not like a response, just ignore it rather than lashing out. It'll go a long way.

Maybe "that's a somewhat nice way of saying what are you talking about?"

Thanks for your response, it's much appreciated. I definitely thought about the above, because I would definitely jokingly say something like that, but to someone I knew. (From a stranger, proper internet etiquette is to at least attach a courtesy 'lol' so everyone knows you're joking.) At first I ignored it, but it was one comment after another and I lashed out, and I'm wrong for that. Usually I don't, but I took that very personally. The other comments made the tone change from a joking "what's going on here" to "You sound dumb. Your ideas are dumb. You're dumb." It was frustrating because nothing constructive was offered from those comments, other than 'You suck. Stop.' My comment was said sarcastically as well, because personally, I think that's an incredibly sarcastic phrase that shouldn't be taken seriously under any circumstances, but everyone is different, and I get that.

But definitely all things to consider. Thanks :)

I'll re-state it. I initially said you had a "crap attitude" which I then edited to "attitude".

Then you told everyone to eat ****.

I am regretting editing, because you proved after that comment that you DO have a crap attitude.

And, I didn't tell everyone to eat ****.

Because that makes it all ok.

I should have worded that differently too, but I was upset. Personally, I'd laugh that off, because there are so many other, actually mean, things that someone could say. Where I am, that's a somewhat nice way of saying to chill out.

I don't believe this for a second. Would you tell a resident or professor of yours to "eat ****" and then tell them to just laugh it off, saying that where you are from it is a somewhat nice way of saying "chill out?"

Here's the thing though. You chose to pass judgement when you know nothing about me, other than what I've written here. And thanks for trying to sugar coat this comment, but unfortunately, your original, once again, nasty comment, went to my email. So did you ever think that my 'crap attitude' had something to do with you being rude straight from the beginning? You don't know enough about me to determine whether or not I have an attitude. Did I take your rude comments personally? Yes. It's not what you say, it's how you say it, and if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything. My post may have come across and patchy, and maybe even a little crotchety, because I was throwing out thoughts as they came to me. Other people that had a problem with this, asked, without being so offensive.

And sorry, but I still can't find your comments relevant. I didn't ask if I suck as a person. If I did, you might be on to something. But again, you have to meet someone to pass that kind of judgement. As offended as I have been by some of the things you said, that's still not enough for me to say anything about you as a person.

Also, I know I said it elsewhere, but I'll say it again. Me being a vegetarian is my own personal giveback. It doesn't make anyone else's any greater, or any less. I already know that working in the field does more justice, but it's something I do for myself, personally. To each their own.

Keep on keepin on then, kid. I judge on what I see. And I'm right more often than not. You asked for advice, I told you that you come off as entitled. It's your choice whether to take that advice or not.

Like it or not, people like me are on the adcoms nowadays. And we don't like to see people with this type of attitude. My job is to pass judgement. And I do so on how people present themselves, whether it be on the internet or when they are on my rotation in person

Last edited:
Understood. I included it mostly to paint a picture for you all, and because after calling a few admissions offices and reading online, a lot of them were saying that when reviewing an applicant, they look at them as a whole, and not just their GPA. So I got in the groove of including that tidbit, but if it's not important, I won't.
Painting a picture of yourself as an applicant has nothing to do with your eating habits. That's ENTIRELY my point. Especially since it's a sensitive subject to you.

When you paint a picture to the adcoms you are trying to sell yourself. You're essentially saying that it's a "sell" that you are a vegetarian. I can guarantee it will be a positive to some but a negative to others. Especially if they have had issues with food animal medicine as a result of some more militant vegetarians (not saying this is a norm). So don't mention it. And grow up a little. You definitely need a thicker skin at minimum

Reactions: 8 users
@BreonaB - There's really no sense in getting all fired up about what people say. If you want to be a vet (or even if you don't), you're going to have to deal with people who are rude, crotchety, in a bad mood, insulting, and sometimes just downright mean. Sometimes several times in one day. You're going to need to be able to not take the bait, remain professional, and not let it ruin the rest of your day. Because there's a super sweet new client in the next room, and employees who don't deserve to get the brunt of the wrath the jerk incited in you. Be a duck. If it's valuable advice, take it. If it's not, just let it roll of your back and move on.

There IS a lot of good advice in this thread. Maybe it's not served up the way you want it, but you gotta get past that.

Reactions: 2 users