How do I strengthen my application?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scaredprevet

Reaction score
Hello! I am currently in my undergrad (c/o 2026) and I’m starting to get very scared for when it comes time to apply for vet school in two-three years (my IS is UC Davis). What can I do to strengthen my stats besides more veterinary hours (which I know I need). I’m also lacking in animal hours I believe.
Cum. GPA: 3.84 (Science gpa about 3.6)
Veterinary Hours: 60 Hours small animal internship (hs)
8 Hours assisting ophthalmology surgery (intern)
50 Hours Equine Medical Center intern

Animal Hours:
200 Hours veterinary kennel assistant (Split these in half with veterinary experience?)
40 Hours Wildlife Center
10 Lab animal hours Veterinary Science class (hs)

Volunteer hours
360 Hours fostered 9 animals Animal Shelter
4 Hours unloading a transport with 60+ dogs Animal Shelter
Volunteered with the same animal shelter for about 8 hours

Clubs/Activities/Awards
Pre-Vet Club
Equestrian Club ~3 Hours animal exp
Marine Science club
Dean’s list
Balloon animal club~ Go to nursing homes/disabled centers and make balloon art for the residents

Also normal work experience
1000+ Hours Burger King 2 years (hs)
200 Hours Bookseller Sierra College Barnes & Noble

No LOR’s or research yet, but my future classes will almost positively be included as research hours.

I am in the process of getting an internship at a small animal clinic for this school year so that will up my veterinary hours. Then hopefully during the summer I can get a job at the equine center I interned at! I also would like to work with marine mammal programs near me in the future (can’t rn- no reliable transportation) so hopefully that will help me to stand out.

Members don't see this ad.

I think research could strengthen your app! And leadership experience within your extracurriculars. Honestly if you keep up the grades and continue to increase and diversify your veterinary experience I think you have a good chance at getting into a school!

Reactions: 1 user
I think research could strengthen your app! And leadership experience within your extracurriculars. Honestly if you keep up the grades and continue to increase and diversify your veterinary experience I think you have a good chance at getting into a school!
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Your number one thing will be veterinary experience, I believe the minimum requirement for a number of schools is in the 300-500 hour range. It's really important to understand what role vets play and what there job is compared to a technician, trainer, zookeeper, or any other animal care/service role. This is where you will also get your letters of recommendation from vets. You want strong letters which can really speak to you, and what you can bring to the profession.

Your transcript can show a lot, but having strong letters and a well-articulated reasons for why you want to be a vet can show a lot more.

Reactions: 1 user
Your number one thing will be veterinary experience, I believe the minimum requirement for a number of schools is in the 300-500 hour range. It's really important to understand what role vets play and what there job is compared to a technician, trainer, zookeeper, or any other animal care/service role. This is where you will also get your letters of recommendation from vets. You want strong letters which can really speak to you, and what you can bring to the profession.

Your transcript can show a lot, but having strong letters and a well-articulated reasons for why you want to be a vet can show a lot more.
Very solid advice. Thank you so much