How do Medical School view your application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hiyalol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read a while ago that they don't see WHEN you taken the course but that you just TOOK the course. Is that the case? If not, do they see upward trends as presented as an example?

1st Semester - Spring of 2011
C
A
B
B

2nd Semester - Fall of 2011
A
B
B
A

3rd Semester - Spring of 2012
A
A
A
A

Continued...

Members don't see this ad.

They see every single course, the grade you got in it, and what semester/year you took it.

However, the GPAs are reported broken down by year on the AMCAS. So the yearly trend is visible. Ex. Freshman: 3.5, Sophomore: 3.6, Junior: 3.7 etc.

Our application portal provides a quick semester/quarter summary of your GPA as well as your overall GPA for the year. Your cumulative GPA is also provided as well your GPA in post-bacc or other graduate work. We also have the ability to look at grades in individual courses, but frankly I never do that as it doesn't really provide any useful information. The only time I do so is in the rare case of someone with a somewhat low GPA and I want to see how they did in science courses.

Reactions: 1 user
What Nick said. We see the GPA broken up by year and by science vs non-science, but we can also look at individual courses which indicates when you took them. I usually don't look at individual courses either unless something needs to be clarified.