How do medical schools pair interviewers with students who are being interviewed in general?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boltedbicorne

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
is it random or are they paired based off of similar interests?

Members don't see this ad.

Random. It's based on whoever is available.

Reactions: 1 users
Some schools will try and put in minor effort to match people with known similar interests, backgrounds, etc., but for the most part it's random based on who is available and other logistical considerations.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school asks applicants for their top 3 most interested fields and tries to match up interviewers with interest, but it's also dependent on who is available that day. Not everyone will get matched accordingly, but an effort is made.

I've been to one, and the MS4 interviewer had the same interest as I do. I'm not sure if it was a coincidence or not.

It varies hugely by school. Plenty are random; I know my school (Downstate) tries reeeeally hard to match you based on interests/experiences/something. (Mine actually had an almost creepy number of things in common with me - including something I hadn't included on my application!)

It is relatively random at my school, however URM applicants are interviewed by current URM students.

Reactions: 1 user
I had 2 interviewers where the faculty worked in either the area I did research in or the area I majored in for undergrad. Talked to other students at those interview days and they said they were similarly paired up, so some schools must make a decent effort.

It is relatively random at my school, however URM applicants are interviewed by current URM students.
They did this at my undergrad and it was awkward because they counted poor people as minorities, and then everyone at minority events who wasn't the expected sort of minority stood out/surprised the hosts/the hosts told them they must be in the wrong place.