General How do medical schools view experience assisting w/nursing research?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Question

Member Question
Volunteer Staff
Reaction score
I have experience in the mental health field, am applying to med school, and have been looking for opportunities to assist with research in mental health. Recently, a coworker offered to connect me with a researcher at a graduate nursing school who is currently looking for help on a psychiatric study, which is run by a doctorate-level psychologist and a PMHNP. The subject is interesting to me and something I'd love to work on - however, I'm aware that many physicians have polarized views on NPs, and I'm wondering if some med school Adcoms may look on research assisting in nursing grad programs unfavorably. I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth or insult the research program, which is well-established, but I recognize this is a controversial area, and I wonder if that controversy is significant enough that it would be wise for me not to pursue this.

— Experts please respond to this post —

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn’t be overly concerned. Publications are publications at the end of the day, and if you find it interesting I say go for it.

No, clinical research is clinical research, irrespective of who is the PI. In fact, it is considered more favorably than basic research depending on the group. But this is a minor differentation. And the dinosaurs who would have looked down on this 20 years ago are not on admission committees anymore due to headache reasons for the adcom staff.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interest is the most important thing here. If you are interested, the chances of you following through to publication is higher. The chance of you being able to speak passionately about the topic is higher as well during an interview.

Status
Not open for further replies.